BSOD and Full Fan Speed On Boot With Graphics Card

CommieG

Hey

So I sent a card in for RMA (MSI Gaming R9 270X) through Scan.co.uk as it was showing artifacts in games, this was the only problem with the card and it would run and boot perfectly fine without any problems with fans, BSOD's etc.

While I was waiting for the RMA to be completed I looked in my old computer and used my old graphics card in the meantime (ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO). There were no problems with this graphics card and it allowed me to run my computer while I waited for the new 270X.

A few days later I received the RMAed card and excitedly put it into my computer. I turned it on and instantly noticed that something was wrong, the fans stared spinning at full speed and never slowed down, apart from that everything else seemed fine, the motherboard POSTed and windows began to load. Before the desktop was reached however a BSOD occurred and the computer restarted. this cycle repeats itself infinitely.

However the card does start in safe mode.

I sent the card back for a second RMA and was told that there are no faults with it.

I have tried a few things to resolve this problem. I've uninstalled and re installed the graphics card drivers, cleared the BIOs and the CMOs and switched the BIOs on the card using the switch.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

What is your full computer spces (including PSU)?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Have you set your fan speed auto? It might be on manual set with highest rpm for the fans. 

If you have access to another desktop computer, you could try replicating the issue there? If it doesn't replicate, it's likely software related. If so, make sure to also uninstall third party software (like MSI afterburner etc.), reinstall drivers and start again from there.

Also, it's not uncommon for some GPU's to start with fans on full blast during start-up, but it should slow down after a few seconds. What happens with the fans in safe mode?

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

Have you set your fan speed auto? It might be on manual set with highest rpm for the fans. 

I've already tried that with MSI Afterburner, there was no change

If you have access to another desktop computer, you could try replicating the issue there? If it doesn't replicate, it's likely software related. If so, make sure to also uninstall third party software (like MSI afterburner etc.), reinstall drivers and start again from there.

I'll try to uninstall all the drivers including the chipset drivers and see if that makes a difference

What happens with the fans in safe mode?

There is no difference in safe mode, the fans still spin at 100%

I had this problem with my gtx 660 too, but installing the latest driver fixed it, i don't know the amd software well, but a clean install, and then take a look at the fan speed control, make sure it's on auto, and maybe check your temperatures? (temperatures shouldn't be the problem, but always check these)

When in doubt: C4