CPU forgot its stock frequency. Has this ever happened to you?

Okay so I have my E2180 for about 5 years now, of the 5, I've been running it overclocked at 2.66GHz for around 3 years of its life. Now back in the day, motherboards would have a jumper feature that overclocks the 800MHz FSB CPUs to 1066MHz FSB, and with the FSB overclock, the CPU clock changes accordingly with it. So I decided that I'll go back to stock speed 2 GHz today because in prime95 2.66GHz getting sorta unstable. When I flipped back the jumper the CPU stayed at 2.66GHz O.o??? so I went into BIOS and defaulted everything, still 2.66GHz lol. I can underclock the CPU back to 2 GHz no problem but I just find it strange that it forgot its own stock clock speed after so long. Has this ever happened to anyone?

System: Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz, EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB ACX 2.0, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM, ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard, Corsair CX430 W Power Supply

You could try hard-resetting everything...you know...take out the CMOS battery and put it back in.Then the BIOS will surely get the standard freq from the CPU...only if that hasn't changed :o

Meh,it's fine anyway.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

has the CMOS battery died? (does your clock reset ?)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

You could try hard-resetting everything...you know...take out the CMOS battery and put it back in.Then the BIOS will surely get the standard freq from the CPU...only if that hasn't changed :o

Meh,it's fine anyway.

yeah i cud try that to see if its really the cpu strangely messed up in its circuitry but likely chances its just aging mobos at its best as you are implying. interesting phenomenon it wud be if nothing actually happened

has the CMOS battery died? (does your clock reset ?)

no the cmos battery hasnt died, time is quite ok and no random bios resets are happening

System: Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz, EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB ACX 2.0, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM, ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard, Corsair CX430 W Power Supply