Can't decide on Cherry MX's...

dccallie

I am going to buy a Corsair RBG board soon, mostly for gaming but also for typing on the side. I've narrowed my selection down to Red vs Blue keycaps, but it's a pretty even tossup (I have a sample kit, so I do know roughly how they feel). My concern is, I may buy blues and turn out to want reds, or vice versa, depending on the experience when I have a full keyboard. Does Corsair let you return brand new keyboards for different keycaps? If not, I need to decide between Reds and Blues!

EDIT: I already have a key sampler, please read before telling me to buy one.

You can buy something like this to see what you like best before buying the keyboard...

large_571_MXSwitchSampler_1.JPG

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

BLUESSS, the real mechanical experience.   But its all about preference. Get a key sampler, they are dirt cheap and a cool thing to have anyway.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

You can buy something like this to see what you like best before buying the keyboard...

where does one buy that?

he already has one if you read the op you would know

some people don't want to spend 250$ on keyboards

pure personal preference, i doubt that you will be able to return them at least not for free. if you get it in store maybe, but if its shipped to you then shipped back they will probably make you pay shipping and possibly a re stocking fee if you are returnining the keyboard because you don't like it. you you could get both. as previously suggested

If i had to pick between the two I'd grab blues. IIRC they're also supposed to come out with an MX brown option, which (in my opinion) is the perfect compromise between reds and blues.

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

I would vote blues. I would then turn around and pick up o-rings to dampen the bottom out sound that you get on your keyboard. Red's are good as well the only thing you have to worry about is double typing a letter as there isn't a point of actuation that you feel.

some people don't want to spend 250$ on keyboards

That doesn't mean they can't!

OP I think the best option for you is a key sampler.

large_571_MXSwitchSampler_1.JPG

I have that sitting in front of me on my desk, thanks for reading my post first :)

That doesn't mean they can't!

OP I think the best option for you is a key sampler.

this is the second time I am going to tell someone read the OP he already has one

If you live alone then get blues. If you have room mates or a wife and kids do NOT get blues.Your kids will smack the keys and it will get to be really annoying, or if you need to work through the night it will keep everyone up. That is how loud they are, even with 0-rings. Reds are great if you like to type fast and not have anything hold you back (the bump becomes annoying at higher speeds for me).

If you live alone then get blues. If you have room mates or a wife and kids do NOT get blues.Your kids will smack the keys and it will get to be really annoying, or if you need to work through the night it will keep everyone up. That is how loud they are, even with 0-rings. Reds are great if you like to type fast and not have anything hold you back (the bump becomes annoying at higher speeds for me).

Depends on the O-Ring you can get some pretty heavy O-rings. I find the blue ones from WASD really dappen the sound quite a bit. My browns are only slightly more quiet on my G710+ then my Ducky Premier with PBT caps. 

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/cherry-mx-rubber-o-ring-switch-dampeners-125pcs.html#ad-image-040

40-A-R 

Blue More shock reduction with noticeable shorter key travel

Key sampler. I prefer blues, I can't handle reds and blacks. I'd rather use a membrane than those switches.

People say Blues are terrible for gaming, yet in the SC2 scene, where you might have to hit a key 4-8 times in a row, and play rather quickly, Kt Rolsters Ace Player uses one. There are also these two Code S players, a Terran and a Zerg who both use blues, and those two players are two of the best at their respective race. There are others, but those are examples

As I understand it, Browns are the best to get if you're buying blindly

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

Key sampler. I prefer blues, I can't handle reds and blacks. I'd rather use a membrane than those switches.

People say Blues are terrible for gaming, yet in the SC2 scene, where you might have to hit a key 4-8 times in a row, and play rather quickly, Kt Rolsters Ace Player uses one. There are also these two Code S players, a Terran and a Zerg who both use blues, and those two players are two of the best at their respective race. There are others, but those are examples

As I understand it, Browns are the best to get if you're buying blindly

Yea I don't buy into blues being horrible for gaming. It's possibly to have a high amount of actions per minute with blues. I would also agree with your statement on browns. 

blues with o rings

These are my favorites to use. In terms of feel, this cannot be beaten in my eyes.

It's funny that you're between two opposite switches. Usually I'd say brown since it's the best of both, but if it's out of the question probably reds. I don't really like reds myself but if you liked the sound of blue switches you wouldn't be having this debate, so they might not be for you.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

MX Blue Master Race  B)

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

Yea I don't buy into blues being horrible for gaming. It's possibly to have a high amount of actions per minute with blues. I would also agree with your statement on browns. 

I think when you are in the shoes those guys are when you're playing at 400+ APM in certain scenarios, accuracy is everything, and for that, Blues and Browns are really good.

I mean, I struggle on Reds and Blacks, I find myself making a lot of mistakes I usually wouldn't. Maybe if I spent some time with those keyboards it'd be different, but I went with Blues originally because they felt the "most mechanical", if that makes sense

They are kinda loud though. Not so much a problem at home because there's soundproofing in the walls here. At the net cafe I hang out, sucks to be those fuckers dealing with the sound

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM