what is the attraction to ROG boards?

Mostly color related.  We need to go back to the rainbow colors, I miss those days.

20cbc5c2ce.jpg

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

It matches my H440 red/black case. 

I have no other reason, I paid an extra $30 to look cool. 

The colours and overall board layout look really nice (I love the black on black with milled aluminum heatsinks on my RIVBE), but one thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is the added features.  

Personally I like how my board comes with software like ram disk and daemon tools pro.  I expect that the cost overall is higher than buying a "lower-end" board and buying the software separately, but it can't be that much more.  If I was going to buy these pieces of software anyway, it's not that bad.  

I also like understanding my overclock (or trying to), so I like the voltage checkpoints when I'm doing my overclocking (the software still isn't accurate).  

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

I'm not attracted to ROG at all. Call me a hipster, but the red and black colorscheme is boring and all over the fucking place. I loved Gigabyte for having green and black motherboards, but those Judases went red and black too  :angry:

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

e-peen definitely.

also asus have a high reputation and people got the cash to spare

All hail the Republic!!

Aside from the other features, ROG boards feature "experimental" things on them first before mainstream boards. Things like water cooling, OCpanel, Armor, digital power phases.... Those things add to the cost.

As much as some people don't like ROG they do innovate and create good competition in the motherboard business. Lots of companies already copy what they do in a way.

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

Because Asus sprinkles magic dust on them to work better.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Because Asus has a great reputation for build quality, and an even better marketing team to back it up.

I have an Asus ultra-book and i love it, and I'm about to go purchase an Asus mainstream motherboard. I'm not even a fanboy, it just happens to mostly be really good stuff.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

It was for me due to the hype claims, Good quality, long life, best overclocking yadda yadda yadda.

My last 12 months with anything ROG has let me to say NO TO ROG.

Faulty Maximus IV Extreme, in that board the GTX780ti would run like craps, low FPS, stuck it back into my Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, worked perfectly.

2 Asus GTX780ti DCUII. Overheating and Buzzing

2 Brand new Maximus VII Hero's, 1 had a missing CPU pin, which I had a major fight with the place of purchase who claimed I did it (20 years in IT and I've never done it), so bought a second one, it has stuffed USB ports, 2 of the 6 rear ports won't see high powered usb devices like USB 3 HDD or DACS.

All work on the Asrock Z77 board my wife has now got.

Sorry I wouldn't touch ROG crap ever, they built a name and now don't care about quality control.

The benefits are as follows. 

OC support past what comes with mid range units and the external oc tools you can use / plug into the board to adjust OC's on the fly. 

Higher end phases for better power delivery. 

better auto profiles for higher memory oc's. 

Higher Voltage output then mid range boards. 

More voltage adjustments for high end OC tweaking past 5+GHz. 

Q:Will any of these things help the average user or even a gamer ? 

Answer: no they wont. 

Q:Then what are they needed for? 

Answer:ROG mobo's are tailored to Bench-marker's and people who heavy oc past ambient thresholds. 

Very similar to the Lightning Graphics cards from MSI which come with a LN2 mode but on average actually perform worse then other cards under ambient or Air cooling situations resulting in being a large waste of money if your not planning on putting the card under a Single-stage / DryIce or Ln2 at any point in the future. 

The ROG mobo's are great also for getting memory clocks above 2400+ mhz due to better mem profiles and raising the limits on them.

Q:Does this help gamer's or average users in any noticeable way? 

Answer: no not really at all tbh its more again of a bench marker thing tbh. 

Q:So why would anyone ever buy a ROG mobo? 

Answer: well if your a bit OCD and that extra 50-100mhz on Water cooling is enough to convince you to spend 200-300$ more on a ROG board then maybe its worth it. 

or if you really really like the color scheme. 

Or if your a bencher and then it actually has some tangible benefits worth switching for. its in the same boat is a few other companies in this respect. asrock's OC Formula is also very niche aswell. 

On the other hand both boards are of top quality from start to finish and should have great longevity under normal use. 

(questions and answers are based off past conversations ive had with people on this subject in the years past). 

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

-32GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000mhz DDR5 - WB Black 1 & 2 TB NVME -EVGA 1300W G2

Full loop 2x480mm XSPC RX Rads / Thermaltake Pacific W8 Block

The colours and overall board layout look really nice (I love the black on black with milled aluminum heatsinks on my RIVBE), but one thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is the added features.  

Personally I like how my board comes with software like ram disk and daemon tools pro.  I expect that the cost overall is higher than buying a "lower-end" board and buying the software separately, but it can't be that much more.  If I was going to buy these pieces of software anyway, it's not that bad.  

I also like understanding my overclock (or trying to), so I like the voltage checkpoints when I'm doing my overclocking (the software still isn't accurate).  

why do you have a caffeine molecule for your avatar?

On topic, I have never been attracted to gaming marketed anything before, the closest I have come to wanting something in this category was the old DFI motherboards for overclocking.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Your right. Linus and TTL have proven that you don't need anything special to achieve good results on z87. But I do like the ROG color scheme. Also the features and the built in audio solution is nice. Nothing spectacular but nice none the same.

I don't want to start up a whole flame war but I don't understand why people fan boy over ROG so much. honestly the only difference between ROG and a normal Z97 etc board is that ROG has higher end audio and you can still get all the same in something like a msi mpower for allot less. as for the graphics cards their still a waste, the 760 mars costs the same as a 780ti and preforms pretty much the same

I bought the Maximus VI Hero purely for the look because other than that it was practically the same as the God-awful Gold boards. 

My BattleBox Specs: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.2GHz, ASUS Maximus VI Hero, 16GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance Memory, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760, Corsair C70, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013, Intel 330 Series 180GB & Samsung 840 Series 120GB, 3TB WD Green, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. Visit kurtgrosser.com for quality content! Cheers from Canada, eh?

I bought my VII Gene because I like the quality and features that Asus boards have, plus I am vein and wanted a red and black board.

I am under no illusions that it is way better than the MSI or Gigabyte alternatives that are a good bit cheaper, but to me it was worth the extra money. I wont criticize anyone for buying one, or not buying one.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

why do you have a caffeine molecule for your avatar?

On topic, I have never been attracted to gaming marketed anything before, the closest I have come to wanting something in this category was the old DFI motherboards for overclocking.

I'm a chemist and I like coffee.  It seemed like a reasonable choice  :)

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

You get to put the ROG badge on your case.

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

I love matching parts.

Rog Mobo, Rog GPU, Rog Soundcard.

I always want as less defferent manufacturers in my rigs as possible.

Just a personal thing.

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

I bought my ROG motherboard because: ASUS, top of the line hardware built to last, top of the line included software with a year of Antivirus, and the most important feature that I have experienced so far is the ASUS ROG website. The website has thousands of verifiably dedicated ASUS ROG pc gaming enthusiasts who are VERY knowledgeable, as well as VERY helpful toward their ROG peers. Any problems/questions you would encounter while building/using a system can be solved at the website... by elite gamers/pc enthusiasts who really care. No worries about trolls or other

undesirables wasting your time with b.s. answers. ROG is not just hardware... it's a hardcore community of like minded players dedicated to a

great gaming experience for all members.

http://rog.asus.com/about/

My rig =SCOUT2= 

Asus has a stellar marketing team as well.

Exactly

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

The super overclocking features people think they need then never use.

I totally forgot that I was gonna write a comparison about this & then post it..I think I might. :)

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>