Lenovo ThinkPad S540

Witt

Hello!

I'm looking to buy a new laptop, I've found the Lenovo ThinkPad S540. And I need your thoughts.

I'll use the laptop for primary study use, as I've a perfect desktop. So the laptop shouldn't/doesn't need to be able to game on.

Questions:

1.: The ThinkPad S540 comes in a model with touchscreen aswell. Well, Windows 8.1 is optimized for touch, I haven't ever tried a touch screen on a laptop. I'm not really a tablet user either. Would I benefit of the touch, for a ~10% higher price?

2.: I can choosed between two models, first one has the Intel HD 4400 graphics, and the second one has Radeon 8670M(also the Pro version of Windows 8.1, for a more price of less than the Pro upgrade(which I consider upgrading to)). Will the laptop with the dedicated grpahics consume much more power(having less hours per charge) than the one with just Intel HD 4400?

3.: When buying direct from Lenovo, I can upgrade different stuff. It seems the laptop has a normally unused M.2 slot for an SSD, which I can upgrade from none to 16GB SSD. Would I be able to put a 120 or 240GB one in myself? (If not, it isn't a dealbreaker, as I'll just skip the HDD)

4.: Do you have an alternative to the ThinkPad S540? Budget is 5-6.000 DKK(which is ~650-750$(US Dollars) without all the danish taxes, maybe even less).

Thanks!

Witt

EDIT: The ThinkPad come with an i5-4210U and 4GB of RAM(which I will be upgrading), just for those who need something to compare to.

1. The touchpad works as a decent substitute for touchscreen. I'd only get a touchscreen if it has digitizer pen support, and the only Thinkpad with it is the Yoga. 

2. I'd stick to integrated. You don't really need the increased graphics performance. 

3. Yes, the HDD can be removed and replaced with an SSD. Or you can take up the M.2 slot with an SSD (not sure on capacities) and use the HDD for storage. Only thing to watch out for: the 2.5" SSD should be 7mm thick. 

4. Thinkpads generally run more expensive than that, so the S540 would be the only suitable option. Thinkpad Edge might be a less expensive option too, but not as configurable. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

@rashdanml

Thanks for answering for fast. Really appreciate it. But alternatives could also be other brands, just if you wasn't sure.

Oh, right.

The only closest equivalent that comes to mind is the Dell Latitude series, but those are priced around the same as the Thinkpad T or X series laptops. And I also wouldn't go for the Dell as it has a less fantastic implementation of the trackpoint, which Thinkpads have made iconic for decades. 

You could also look at some ASUS laptops, but as far as I know, their ultrabooks aren't that cheap, unless you buy refurbished. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Oh, right.

The only closest equivalent that comes to mind is the Dell Latitude series, but those are priced around the same as the Thinkpad T or X series laptops. And I also wouldn't go for the Dell as it has a less fantastic implementation of the trackpoint, which Thinkpads have made iconic for decades. 

You could also look at some ASUS laptops, but as far as I know, their ultrabooks aren't that cheap, unless you buy refurbished. 

Thanks again. I was looking for ASUS, DELL and HP earlier, their prices are a little higher, tho. I'll just stick to the ThinkPad S540, ThinkPads in general has some features I like.