Oldies and the evolution of tech

phillrulz

Hey guys, im 18 and have very little memory of the evolution of tech main jump i can remember is from PATA to SATA also things like having a modem card in your PC. Possibly even the use of floppys, i wish i knew more however im only 18 and alot changed in the years when i would have been too young to remember.

So my questions is going to bring back the nostalgia, ive seen lots of threads about pictures of old hardware but my questions are

What are the biggest changes you have seen in tech over the years? ( examples not just miniaturization )

What change do you like the most? ( reduction in price etc)

What change do you like the least ? ( constant out dating of hardware)

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

Probably going from VHS all the way to BluRay.

(Just think about how many revisions: VHS -> LD -> VCD -> DVD -> BluRay)

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Well I remember the first 1GB VRAM GPU... back in the day when 512 was massive and the 8800's where 768MB. Now most new cards are 3,4,8,12GB its crazy :P

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Started with an atari 2600, vcrs and CRT tvs i used to listen to music on cassette tapes

Moved up to a tamagochi,  gameboy , then playstation etc, 

Now my gaming pcs laptops smartphones etc

and look at where we are now!!!! Virtual reality and self driving cars

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Probably going from VHS all the way to BluRay.

ah yes, my grandad used to work for the BBC and he still has come betamax cassettes

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

I can only remember going from ps1 to ps4, idk im just 17 xD

CPU: Amd fx 8120 3.9ghz...Motherboard: Asus m5a97 evo R:2.0...RAM: 8gb 1600 kingston hyperx blu...GPU: XFX R9 280x ...CASE: Nzxt h440...

HDD: Kingston adata ssd 500 gigs, wd blue 500gb...PSU: Corsair gs700...Monitors: Asus vk222h Cooler: Noctua nh-d14...Keyboard:coolermaster masterkeys m...Mouse: logitech g300...Headphones: Logitech g430

Well I remember the first 1GB VRAM GPU... back in the day when 512 was massive and the 8800's where 768MB. Now most new cards are 3,4,8,12GB its crazy :P

reminds me when ram was measured in MB my grandad has a machine with like 16mb ram

I can only remember going from ps1 to ps4, idk im just 17 xD

cant you remember having to use a modem and dialup internet?

i father only added internet to my life when i was 16 :|, hes old school , i remember having vhs though, watch some Blade haha

CPU: Amd fx 8120 3.9ghz...Motherboard: Asus m5a97 evo R:2.0...RAM: 8gb 1600 kingston hyperx blu...GPU: XFX R9 280x ...CASE: Nzxt h440...

HDD: Kingston adata ssd 500 gigs, wd blue 500gb...PSU: Corsair gs700...Monitors: Asus vk222h Cooler: Noctua nh-d14...Keyboard:coolermaster masterkeys m...Mouse: logitech g300...Headphones: Logitech g430

The oldest thing i remember is passing from an old 56k modem to adls. I remember not being able to make phone calls when someone needed internet :P lol. Then there was vhs to blue ray (and full hd becoming mainstream) and cassette recordings to audio cds and flash drives. Another big and relatively recent change was the mainstream presence of ssds as opposed to hdds, which is perhaps the most drastic change of recent years. CRT to flat screen also happened. Then there was the shift of smartphones to what we know now and the appearance of consumer oriented tablet pcs which benefitted from the advancement in smartphones.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

GPU & CPU Horse power & especially the ram speed & HDD Space.

Others would be as in dialups , 56k to 100mbps fibre, Black & White CRT to 4K hig def, Crummy scratchy music to crystal clear audio reproduction, especially the bass. Floppy storage to Extreme Flash drives with a TB of capacity.

Details separate people.

"HEY go out of the internet I must call someone!" Haha certain memory :D

Well my first "pc" was this.

C64c_system.jpg
 It was already old back then. Crazy change till now. Good old C64.

Most hated new feature? When ps2 connectores wasn't colored and you plugged in mouse and keyboard wrong. That was awful.

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

"HEY go out of the internet I must call someone!" Haha certain memory :D

Well my first "pc" was this. It was already old back then. Crazy change till now. Good old C64.

Most hated new feature? When ps2 connectores wasn't colored and you plugged in mouse and keyboard wrong. That was awful.

Hmm i remember ps2 connections however they were always purple and green if i remember correctly

Hmm i remember ps2 connections however they were always purple and green if i remember correctly

Not on all boards. When you lost the i/o plate then you was screwed.

post-107151-0-48370400-1406743967.jpg

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

I remember going from a pentium 4 to a i3 

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

I remember going from a pentium 4 to a i3 

i did a jump from an dual core duo e7400 to a i5 2320

One of the biggest changes for me is going from 2D graphics cards to 3D. I got my first 3d Graphics card in 1997 (a 3dfx Voodoo with 4MB of RAM) and that was a HUGE leap forwards in graphics quality and performance. The Voodoo was very expensive for the time and it was only an addon card, it couldn't do 2D so you still needed a reqular graphics card for that.

The thing I really don't miss is floppies, both 5,25" and 3,5" (and even cassettes before that on the Commodore 64). It was really, REALLY frustrating going to your friend, copying a game to fourteen disks and then when you got home you discovered that there was an error on disk thirteen. Luckily I never had to use 8" floppies :)

What I don't like about modern tech is having to be connected all the time. You constantly have to check your e-mail, be always ready to answer a call or a text etc. Life was so much simpler back in the good old days :D

Big changes I remember:

Having a Hard drive.

More than 640 KB of RAM.

VGA monitors.

Sound cards

Optical drives.

Flat screens.  Not even LCD, the first laptops I remember had plasma displays.

Hard drives of 1 GB.

3D games.

3D accelerating video cards.  

Optical Mouse,  yay no more cleaning rolling parts.

HD Displays.

Internet.

Things I liked:

Prices coming down.

Improvements in Graphics.

Don't need to use fragile floppy discs anymore.

Having access to all the knowledge ever.

Things I hate:

"Here's a new processor!, massive improvement of 8% more processing over the one before!. "   Every freaking year.

"No, you can't use the windows key from the sticker on your PC to install windows"

Facebook

"To download this program, first download our program to download programs, that will download more programs than the one program that you actually want"  I'm looking at you CNET.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

I remember going from an integrated intel graphics 128mb to a Geforce 9500gt firing up Most wanted 2005 and watching the beautiful BMW M3 GTR im like  :o   and then COD4  first mission :o

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

Things I hate:

"Here's a new processor!, massive improvement of 8% more processing over the one before!. "   Every freaking year.

sounds like every nvidia drover update

+10% improvement in some game you have never played

sounds like every nvidia drover update

+10% improvement in some game you have never played

But at least you are not paying for those updates.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

I remember going from an integrated intel graphics 128mb to a Geforce 9500gt firing up Most wanted 2005 and watching the beautiful BMW M3 GTR im like  :o   and then COD4  first mission :o

my oil submerged pc has a hd3400 i think still beast a whole 256mb i think