Galaxy S4 + KitKat 4.4.2 Bugs

Shaqo_Wyn

So I got the 4.4.2 KitKat update a few months ago and my S4 has been acting weird ever since.

It's reboots spontaneously. It completely freezes when I leave it to charge, to the point where the only thing that will snap it out of it is removing and reinserting my battery. Now, these bugs don't occur that often, but they have to my annoyance happened at some very inconvenient times. 

Anybody know what I can do to fix this? Also I think KitKat 4.4.4 is the latest, is this already available for the S4? 

Thanks a bunch for any help/recommendations you can give me.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Interesting. My dad's S4s have all had KitKat (as far as I know) and they've never worked right...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Ok I would need some more infos on this one.

Is your phone already rooted?

Is it a stock rom or a custom rom with 4.4 kernel?

Could you specific post your firmware version? It should be found in settings -> About this device. 

Before doing anything else I would need this.

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

I installed 4.4.2 on my S4 3 weeks ago and have not had any problems since I upgraded.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Ok I would need some more infos on this one.

Is your phone already rooted?

Is it a stock rom or a custom rom with 4.4 kernel?

Could you specific post your firmware version? It should be found in settings -> About this device. 

Before doing anything else I would need this.

I don't know what you mean with rooted or the kernel stuff :P (know a lot about PC's, not so much about smartphones). 

It's just says Android version: 4.4.2 

Kernel version: 3.4.0

Method 1: Reset 1 Enter *2767*3855# in your dialer.

Method 2: Reset 2 First switch of your phone  with removeing the battery. Now press and hold Volume up + Homebutton + Powerbutton. Hold the buttons until the phone vibrates. Now you will see a screen with android logo. After this you will get a menu with the option, "Wipe data/Factory reset". You can toggle through the menu using Volume Down button, and you can use "Power" button to select an option. Now select the option and press power button. Your phone will reboot and hard reset.

Idea of this methods. Dalvikcache is corrupted due the update and needs to be wiped.

Method 3: Reflashing the stockrom

Step 1: Download the firmware package and extract the zip file. There will be a .tar.md5 file along with some other files. 

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1/?model=GT-I9505&pcode=0   I

Select Smartphone - Android - Device - Carrier

9505XXUGNG2 PDA Code is an example of an firmware code can be seen under Settings -> About Device. This must match.

If you aren't certain what modell it is you can look under the battery for GT-i9505, GT-i9506 or else as there are diffrent typed of S4. Again firmware pls :P

This is very important to select the right modell along with the right carrier code. That's why I asked for the firmware :P

Step 2: Download Odin v3.09, and extract the zip file. There will be an Odin3 v3.09.exe file along with some other files. http://samsungodindownload.com/Download/odin-v3.09.zip

Step 3: Run Odin3 v3.09 as an Administrator.

Step 4: Boot the Galaxy S4 LTE into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons. After a warning message appears, press Volume Up key to enter Download Mode.

Step 5: Now, connect the Galaxy S4 LTE to the computer via the USB cable and wait until an Added!! message appears in bottom left box in Odin.

Step 6: Go to the Odin window and click on the AP button and select the .tar.md5 file which was extracted in Step 1.

Step 7: In Odin, ensure that only the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options are checked while the ‘Re-Partition’ option is disabled.

Step 8: Now, click on the Start button in Odin to begin flashing. Don’t press any buttons until all files are successfully flashed.

Step 9: After the process is complete, a “PASS!” message will appear in ID:COM port with green background and the device will restart automatically. If it won't reboot you can do it manual letting the cable connected.

Step 10: After the Samsung logo appears on the home screen, you can unplug the device from the computer. The Galaxy S4 LTE will now be running on Android 4.4.2 KitKat

Hope this gets your baby fixed.

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

*snip*

Wow! Thanks for such a comprehensive answer, I'll give these a try. Will method 2 wipe all the data on my phone?

They both attempt an full wipe including internal, dalvik and app cache.

They both attempt an full wipe including internal, dalvik and app cache.

Oke, how do you recommend I back-up/save my data?

You could move your pictures and all that to sd or to your pc and then remove the card. To preform a full backup would requiere rootaccess and titanium backup app.