Dorm Room Speakers for ~$200

Ericde95

As the title states,

I am bringing both my laptop (Razer Blade 14) and desktop to college in the Fall and was hoping to get some great speakers for my room.

What I am looking for:

-great bass without overpowering the rest

-can get pretty loud

-Bluetooth connectivity is a huge plus but not 100% necessary

-under $200

-not very large or bulky, if possible, I have a smallish desk

I'm not sure if I should be looking for a "kit" or if i should look at a DAC/speaker/woofer separately... Im a complete newbie with audio equipment. Currently I am using a JVC 2.1 set-up that works great.

Looking forward to your input,

E

Desktop: ASUS ROG Maximus V Formula - 3570k @ 4.2 Ghz - Gigabyte GTX 670 WF3 - G.Skill 16 GB 1600Mhz - Antec 900W - 128GB Crucial M4 - 2TB Hitachi HDD - NZXT H440

Mobile: Nexus 6P (current)  - Razer Blade 256 GB Laptop

I personally love my JBL Creature 2 speakers, but they aren't bluetooth or portable, but do sound great, get pretty loud, and have great bass, and also pretty cheap.

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition | Razer Naga Molten

Hifi Bookshelf Speaker System is perfect for that budget.

This is just one example:

Sony_EX9T_Hi_Fi__4ce78e7889b9d-300x217.j

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Introducing, the spanky, clean, powerful, awesome....

Dell 2.0 Speakers!

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Do you not care for your neighbors and room mates?

Clearly not, which is why I opted out of this one, just waiting for Bose and Sp25k recommendations

OP, the "what I'm looking for" section has features of about 2-3 different products in it.

Loud, portable, and not bulky do not mix.

Wow guys...

Just assume the dorm is in the middle of the ocean if it makes you feel better. It doesn't need to be obscenely loud; just to carry a good sound when at a high volume/not get muddied out.

@ShearMe, I will take a look, thanks

Desktop: ASUS ROG Maximus V Formula - 3570k @ 4.2 Ghz - Gigabyte GTX 670 WF3 - G.Skill 16 GB 1600Mhz - Antec 900W - 128GB Crucial M4 - 2TB Hitachi HDD - NZXT H440

@ShearMe, I will take a look, thanks

No, there's not a "what I'm looking for" section of the forum :rolleyes: I meant that part of your post.

The only thing that matches your description is the Bose SoundLink Mini, and I can tell you straight away you'd be better off with a $100 set of stationary speakers in your room.

No, there's not a "what I'm looking for" section of the forum :rolleyes: I meant that part of your post.

The only thing that matches your description is the Bose SoundLink Mini, and I can tell you straight away you'd be better off with a $100 set of stationary speakers in your room.

Okay haha sorry I'm on my mobile, was going to check what you said later.

I edited out the "portable" aspect. I merely had that in there as a 'if possible with the rest' and not a requirement.

A desktop /bookshelf size would be perfect.

As the title states,   I am bringing both my laptop (Razer Blade 14) and desktop to college in the Fall and was hoping to get some great speakers for my room. What I am looking for: -great bass without overpowering the rest -can get pretty loud -Bluetooth connectivity is a huge plus but not 100% necessary -under $200 -not very large or bulky, if possible, I have a smallish desk   I'm not sure if I should be looking for a "kit" or if i should look at a DAC/speaker/woofer separately... Im a complete newbie with audio equipment. Currently I am using a JVC 2.1 set-up that works great.   Looking forward to your input, E

M AUDIO BX5 D2 is the best studio monitor for pure balanced accurate sound or Audioengine A5+ if you want desktop friendly sound.