numbaname

system info:

toshiba laptop

amd- a8 3520m  1.6ghz

6gb ram

64 bit system windows 7

integrated graphic:- AMD raedon HD 6620g

dedicated graphic- AMD Raedon HD 7400M 

using both GPU-z, and GPU-temp, i see that my second GPU is always under 0% load and the temperature reading of the dedicated card is also at 0.. (integrated one heats up to 80, which matches the temp of the cpu core)

I Enabled crossfire in catalyst control panel, AND  ran a FULL SCREEN game. 

drivers should be updated at time of this thread (used autodetect driver off the amd site), catalyst version 14.4

checked device manager and there windows is not detecting any error in the device. I have also tried to disable crossfire in catalyst, checking fps, then re-enabling crossfire, fps literally did not change.. 

is my dedicated card dead.. or do i have to somehow enable it..

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

It could be that the games you are playing do not have crossfire profiles. 

You can try and tick this box in CCC

cccc

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

thanks for the replies, 

tested by disabling ULPS in the regedit, still getting 0 degree Celsius reading in the dedicated card running games at full screen..

not sure how you upload image/screenshots on this forum but I did check the "enable crossfire" button the Catalyst..

I also have a profile created for the game under the performance dedicated card

my goal is to able to either run games using only the dedicated card (is that even possible with AMD system?), or at least see some kind of activity in the second card when i enable crossfire. Again, various gpu temp monitor programs show zero activity in the second card, it actually says 0 degrees celcius..

thanks for the replies, 

not sure how you upload image/screenshots on this forum but I did check the "enable crossfire" button the Catalyst..

I also have a profile created for the game under the performance dedicated card

my goal is to able to either run games using only the dedicated card (is that even possible with AMD system?), or at least see some kind of activity in the second card when i enable crossfire. Again, various gpu temp monitor programs show zero activity in the second card, it actually says 0 degrees celcius..

have you check power management?

so even running Unigine didn't start the discrete GPU?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

sorry total noob, whats unigine?

i tried to run a test/ benchmark with 3DMark vantage, the laptop just shut itself off after 5 seconds (I think it overheated ... ?)

i have it on high performance setting (80 degrees celcius using core temp T,T), pretty sure thats hot enough to kick my computer into activating everything..?

sorry total noob, whats unigine?

i have it on high performance setting (80 degrees celcius using core temp T,T), pretty sure thats hot enough to kick my computer into activating everything..?

this

http://unigine.com/

download the free version to test your GPU

alright, ran with unigine 

turned off anti alias to get more than single digit fps lol..

fps 14.2

score 356

Platform:-

Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1) 64bit

CPU 

AMD A8-3520M APU with Radeon HD Graphics (1597MHz) x4

GPU model:

AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series 14.100.0.0/AMD Radeon HD 6620G 14.100.0.0 (1024MB) x1

well at least it detected theres a second card in the laptop.. how do i know if it enabled it?

alright, ran with unigine 

turned off anti alias to get more than single digit fps lol..

fps 14.2

score 356

Platform:-

Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1) 64bit

CPU 

AMD A8-3520M APU with Radeon HD Graphics (1597MHz) x4

GPU model:

AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series 14.100.0.0/AMD Radeon HD 6620G 14.100.0.0 (1024MB) x1

well at least it detected theres a second card in the laptop.. how do i know if it enabled it?

oops forget

use this

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

run again and see if the second GPU is working

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/14/07/31/5an.png

i was using gpuz in my own testing on a full screen game, its the same with this benchmark, the second card  "activates" for a split second, then just flatline dies after. 0 degrees Celsius consistent with measurement by GPU temp 

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/14/07/31/5an.png

i was using gpuz in my own testing on a full screen game, its the same with this benchmark, the second card  "activates" for a split second, then just flatline dies after. 0 degrees Celsius consistent with measurement by GPU temp 

it seems that your discrete may be dead

try disabling the apu graphics and just run on dedicated and see if it works. the problem might be with the hybrid crossfire (or whatever the're calling it these days)

If the card was dead It's unlikely that the computer would boot let alone be able to enable crossfire.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 

sorry I am new, how do u disable the onboard apu graphic?

im guessing device manager->display adapter-> then disable the raedon 6620?

o and also..http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/14/07/31/7v9.png

It says the dedicated card is crossfire activated, so it can't be that dead right..

OK I found your problem. See in that picture where it says "bus interface: PCI-E 2.0 16x @ 1 1.1"

This means that the card is running at 1x bandwidth on the 1.1 PCI-E standard.

In order for crossfire to work it must be running at PCI-E 4x 2.0

I would say its a faulty motherboard , M.PCI-E Slot or controller.

Spoiler

oh i noticed that too

ahh i see.. thanks,

unfortunately this is a laptop.. so i dont exactly have an easy way to gain access to the interior without opening up the back.. is there no way to change things without a screwdriver?

ahh i see.. thanks,

unfortunately this is a laptop.. so i dont exactly have an easy way to gain access to the interior without opening up the back.. is there no way to change things without a screwdriver?

yea not likely unless you can see if the BIOS can allow you to do any settings

k i fixed it! just ran the test that came with the GPU-Z and now the second card is showing some activity

however, barely any improvement in fps.. (like 3..? lol)

thanks anyways guys!

ya lol, it can manage to get almostttt 25 fps at absolutely minimum setting if i set power to high performance, but the laptop literally heats to 87+ degrees and just shuts it self off.. but i dont think thats something i can fix without getting new hardware haha

-snip-

Also why you mention mPCI-e?

I said slot or controller ( I din't really pay attention to the card )

even if it has't got an m-pcie slot it will still be direct wired as a m.PCI-E device.

The device should still appear as full bandwidth in power saving mode, Well my cards do on my desktop and the discrete card in my notebook does as well. (perhaps an APU thing?)

Spoiler

mPCI-e still being a PCI-e standard

um... My GPUs does have this power feature, it's not "APU thing" also it's very common bc it does really save energy by disabling lanes (which takes power). i.e.: my K55VD has this feature (610M) runs under 1x mode on idle, 16x on load, my R7 250 stays at 4x (bc of dual monitor), my GTX770 idles peacefully at 1x aswell, etc... GPU-z format for GPU interface info is "Maximum: [interface and version(PCI,PCI-e,AGP,MXM,etc...)] [mode (or lanes)(1x,2x,4x, etc...)] @ Actual: [mode] [version]"

Also power saving features may not be activated if there's a load on background that requires more bandwidth (multi-monitor, High resolutions, Folding...)

haha, maybe my shiz is just to old then.

Spoiler