Macbook Pro 13" 2013 non-retina

GamingGiraffe

Hi guys,

I just wanted to know what people on here have done as upgrades for these units? I currently only have 4GB of 1600mhz ram and the 500gb hard drive that came with it. I specifically want to know what people think of swapping the optical drive out for an SSD, as this would yield a good performance increase, but i'm not sure how two drives would damage my battery life. 

Anyway thanks guys!.

Hi guys,

I just wanted to know what people on here have done as upgrades for these units? I currently only have 4GB of 1600mhz ram and the 500gb hard drive that came with it. I specifically want to know what people think of swapping the optical drive out for an SSD, as this would yield a good performance increase, but i'm not sure how two drives would damage my battery life. 

Anyway thanks guys!.

Adding an SSD I would consider the best upgrade you can do, personally I would replace SSD where the current HDD is and put the HDD in the optical bay 

Upgrading to 8gb or 16gb of ram would be a big help as well!!!

It would not effect battery life by more than a few minutes

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Hi guys,

Anyway thanks guys!.

upgrade to 8GB ram and get a SSD.

I swapped the optical drive out for the HDD and put a SSD in where the HDD was in my 2010 Macbook Pro ;)

not much impact on the battery life.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I thought these were the Macs made when Apple went backwards and started soldering the ram onto the mainboard.

So not much impact at all? I was worried going up to 8GB and adding the SSD would just destroy its life. If I get 8GB i'll probably just get it in one stick so I can buy another in the future, would that have a horrific performance impact?

I thought these were the Macs made when Apple went backwards and started soldering the ram onto the mainboard.

Luckily they never did that to the non-retina models.

Luckily they never did that to the non-retina models.

Ah, so this was retina models only, eh?

No this is the standard macbook with the disc drive not the retina

Ah, so this was retina models only, eh?

Yup thats why the retina is like half as thick

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I wouldn't call it backwards, when Apple is building incredible slim notebooks, in which there just isn't enough space for a ram socket.

I had a 2010 13" MBP that I upgraded to 8GB of RAM and 250GB SSD, such an improvement, so much faster, felt like a new machine!

I think one of the problems just is that people don't realise the laptops are so slim for a reason. If they weren't so slim that would be one of the major selling points gone immediately, people just moan about everything.

I wouldn't call it backwards, when Apple is building incredible slim notebooks, in which there just isn't enough space for a ram socket.

So not much impact at all? I was worried going up to 8GB and adding the SSD would just destroy its life. If I get 8GB i'll probably just get it in one stick so I can buy another in the future, would that have a horrific performance impact?

I would go with two 4GB sticks. afaik dual channel configs are better for integrated graphics.

SSD often draw less power than HDDs and the HDD might go to sleep quite often, depending on what you store on the HDD and what on the SSD ;)