Desktop restarts when loading into games

jiaweiiii
Go to solution Solved by jiaweiiii,

Solved changed my psu and also got an aftermarket cooler for my cpu . But what was causing my computer to restart according to the technician was one of the fuse inside was blown but was still able to on thankfully it didnt take any of my hardware with it

There are PSU testerst yu can purchase, but that will only tell you if it's faulty. You could simply be pulling a draw from it high enough to trip the over current protection. Whether it's higher wattage than it's capable of, or, more amperage that the 12V rail can supply.

What do you mean i dont get it .

PSU's have various protections in place to prevent damaging their internal components, and your PC's internal components. These safeties lead to the PSU shutting off, and thus, your system suddenly shutting down. One such protection, is over-current protection. Every device you connect to the power supply, consumes an amount of power. Without going into electrical stuff or physics, everything draws a certain amount of amps, and requires a certain wattage. In the case of OC protection, it's the amps that are the concern. Every PSU has 1 or more 12V rails (usually 1). The 12V rail, is the only source of 12V power to components in your system. The problem is, this 12V rail, can only supply a certain amperage max. If you go above this, by plugging in a lot of components, or\high draw components like 4 GTX Titans in SLI as a hyperbolic example (exaggeration), then you will draw more amperage, that that 12V rail can supply. To prevent damage, OC protection kicks in, essentially like a fuse, and shuts off the power supply. As for wattage, everything on electricity consumes a certain amount of power over time, this is the devices wattage. Every connected device, has a different wattage, and, if added together, that combined wattage exceeds that of your power supply, then there won't be enough power, to power all components, which also leads to a shut down.

Normally, this would happen immediately, however, something like a GPU has a varying wattage, consuming more power under load, than under idle. This means, when you launch a game, the GPU needs more power, and if you're near your PSU's max rating, you will suddenly find you are short, and have a shut down. This, should not be the case, seeing as you have a 600W PSU, but I explained it nonethless.

Lastly, there's the PSU testers that I mentioned. Really, all a PSU tester does, is tell you the voltage being passed from the PSU, to your system. If say a 12V rail, is only supplying 10V, then that indicates the PSU is faulty, which is basically all a PSU can tell you. SO using a PSU tester, would let you know if the PSU is faulty, but if the actual problem with is, is ether drawing too much current, or too much power at once, then you'll have the above 2 kicking in, and they do not indicate a fault PSU, just a PSU that is not meeting your demands.

I hope that explains it

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

PSU's have various protections in place to prevent damaging their internal components, and your PC's internal components. These safeties lead to the PSU shutting off, and thus, your system suddenly shutting down. One such protection, is over-current protection. Every device you connect to the power supply, consumes an amount of power. Without going into electrical stuff or physics, everything draws a certain amount of amps, and requires a certain wattage. In the case of OC protection, it's the amps that are the concern. Every PSU has 1 or more 12V rails (usually 1). The 12V rail, is the only source of 12V power to components in your system. The problem is, this 12V rail, can only supply a certain amperage max. If you go above this, by plugging in a lot of components, or\high draw components like 4 GTX Titans in SLI as a hyperbolic example (exaggeration), then you will draw more amperage, that that 12V rail can supply. To prevent damage, OC protection kicks in, essentially like a fuse, and shuts off the power supply. As for wattage, everything on electricity consumes a certain amount of power over time, this is the devices wattage. Every connected device, has a different wattage, and, if added together, that combined wattage exceeds that of your power supply, then there won't be enough power, to power all components, which also leads to a shut down.

Normally, this would happen immediately, however, something like a GPU has a varying wattage, consuming more power under load, than under idle. This means, when you launch a game, the GPU needs more power, and if you're near your PSU's max rating, you will suddenly find you are short, and have a shut down. This, should not be the case, seeing as you have a 600W PSU, but I explained it nonethless.

Lastly, there's the PSU testers that I mentioned. Really, all a PSU tester does, is tell you the voltage being passed from the PSU, to your system. If say a 12V rail, is only supplying 10V, then that indicates the PSU is faulty, which is basically all a PSU can tell you. SO using a PSU tester, would let you know if the PSU is faulty, but if the actual problem with is, is ether drawing too much current, or too much power at once, then you'll have the above 2 kicking in, and they do not indicate a fault PSU, just a PSU that is not meeting your demands.

I hope that explains it

Ahhh okay thanks for helping me clear my doubts ! But at this point there's high chance of psu failure . But my doubts will be confirmed tmr when i borrow my friend psu haha

I'm 90% sure it's your power supply if it shuts off when you put your GPU under stress. I'd look at your 3.3,5,12v voltages in bios to see if they're in check.

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

I'm 90% sure it's your power supply if it shuts off when you put your GPU under stress. I'd look at your 3.3,5,12v voltages in bios to see if they're in check.

What do you mean by the 3.3,5 12v dont get it 

But HW monitor says my 5v is around 5.12-5.16

My 12v is 12.23-12.32

and 3v is 3.38

How long have you had this build with the current power supply and GPU? I'd suggest getting a new power supply.

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

But HW monitor says my 5v is around 5.12-5.16

My 12v is 12.23-12.32

and 3v is 3.38

All within tolerance (±5% for all, except -5VDC {if even used which most do not}, and -12V which are both ±10%)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

How long have you had this build with the current power supply and GPU? I'd suggest getting a new power supply.

It's less than 8months bought last December . Im probably going to rma my psu hoping for 1to1 exchange .

All within tolerance (±5% for all, except -5VDC {if even used which most do not}, and -12V which are both ±10%)

Can you explain to me in layman term for the last part please you lost men there

Basically, tolerance is how far from the voltage it can actually be and still be considered an acceptable voltage. So, for this case, they are all ±5% of their rating (except -12V which is ±10%). This means:

• between 11.4V, and 12.6V is acceptable.for +12V
  • between 4.75V and 5.25V is acceptable for +5V
  • between 3.135V, and 3.465V is acceptable for +3.3V
  • between -10.8V and -13.2V is acceptable for -12V

Anything outside these ranges is unacceptable and means you should replace the PSU.

Okay but my psu everything is within this range but when launch any games It still restart my whole computer what does that means  :huh:

Honestly, without testing the PSU with the equipment I have, I couldn't say. I never bothered to ask though, are you running a single R9 280x?

It could be somehow drawing more than the 600W, which I highly doubt since you've gone single card (I believe a 280x draws 250W), and unless your HDD is drawing like 30A of current, you aren't tipping OC protection. Could be overheating, which means it's a bad PSU, but really, try using another PSU of similar or higher wattage, and see if the problem persists (if you have one to spare, or to borrow)

Yeah im probably gonna borrow one tomorrow .

Is there any chance because of my high powered usb stuff .

As i have one high powered usb wireless adapter although idk how much watts it draw also connect a gamepad .

Oh lord no, USB doesn't output anywhere near enough wattage, or amperage

Oh okay haha . Im still pretty new to hardware stuff 

No problem. If you'd like a good resource to beginner stuff, lemme know and I can send you the CompTIA A+ 801/802 textbook.

Interesting sure send me will be useful . If its not my psu failure what other components might be causing that 

My next guess, would be GPU, only because it happens when you game.

Just so you can see my logic:

I went PSU first, because of the Kernel-Power entry in event viewer which is almost always PSU related. Next, would be GPU due to the fact it happens only when you game, or stress your GPU like with MSI Kombustor. After that, I'm not sure where I'd go since you already tested your RAM and CPU.

I haven't test my ram though. I doubt it's gpu as I tried on my secondary gpu it ran for less than 30secs and crashed on the most basic furmark test

I haven't test my ram though. I doubt it's gpu as I tried on my secondary gpu it ran for less than 30secs and crashed on the most basic furmark test

I was thinking of another thread having a similar issue I've been helping with. Uh, if you haven't, download and run Prime95 (it'll tell you one tests more RAM, that's the test to run), and let it go for like an hour if you can. If it fails, you might actually have a RAM issue, but I'm still doubting. Also, I sent you a message with the link to CompTIA. Hopefully it works, I've never used Mega before.

CPU temps seem a tad high for just running the blend test. Try re-running Prime95, and this time set it to "In-Place Large FFT's", and again, try to let it run for an hour minimum. Monitor your temps during it. If things go above 100C, then it's your CPU overheating causing the crashes.