Hi first and foremost, I'm new to this forum. Wasn't sure where to post so I took a stab and tried here.

I'm wondering if someone could help me with a few things such as, overclocking my aircooled CPU, overclocking my GPU.
Some recommendations on pc maintenance (software). Just the things I've never really tried my hand at.
Many thanks are appreciated.

Here's a quick list of my components

Processor: AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon HD Graphics
Manufacturer: AMD
Speed: 3.9 GHz
Number of Cores: 4
Video Card: AMD Radeon R9 270 
Manufacturer: ATI
Chipset: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Dedicated Memory: 2.1 GB
Total Memory: 3.7 GB
Memory(RAM): 4.0 GB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Edition (build 9200), 64-bit
Service Pack: 0
Size: 64 Bit
Edition: Professional
Display: Maximum Resolution 1366 x 768

Just pointing out a lot of the 'specs' that you posted aren't really necessary  :)

What CPU cooler do you have?

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Well this isn't really something very advanced, but if you haven't tried using multiple monitors, that can be cool.

First of all welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums :) .

Did you buy this hardware already or are you looking forward to buy this? ...hope you didn´t buy this yet.

I wouldn´t buy that CPU because it is slow and has an APU on it but since you are planning to buy a dedicated graphics card this CPU is kind of obsolete...

I´d rather go with something like a FX 8150 when your budget isn´t too tight. Make sure to buy a certified (at least Bronze) PSU. And the R9 270 series are nice GPUs for gaming in 1080p. Most of them OC really nicely and you will be having good FPS in higher details.... speaking about details that resulition is a bit crappy. I´d try to go for a 1920x1080 (FullHD) monitor. You can get those super cheap.

Just warning you up front (I have 3 computer at home and use Windows 7 and Windows 8) Win8.1 isn´t much better in performance than Win7 64 bit. Oh speaking about RAM make sure to buy something like DDR3 1600mHz with at least a CL of 9. A good choice here is Corsair or G-Skill.

Okay now if you are looking to overclock first things first... make sure to have the right hardware that the components are able to overclock. Then if you are looking for a CPU overclock the standard heatsink is not an option for this. Get a good aircooler such as i.e. a Noctua or an AIO watercooling such as a Corsair H100i. Read guides online and watch overclocking videos for your specific CPU on Youtube i.e. Same with the graphics card. Good overclocking takes time and much more time to read an understand the do´s and don´t.

As a good software I recommend MSI Afterburner, GPU-Z, CPU-Z or if you can afford it Aida64 Extreme. For testing new settings and overclocks you can grab programs like Unigine Valley, 3D Mark, Cinebench, CrystalDiskMark.

Hope this helps you a bit. Enjoy what ever hardware you go with :).

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Malwarebytes and CCleaner are a must. Google chrome is good too, cause IE sucks.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

These are the current specs of my pc. When first setting up to build my pc I had enough funds for all parts except for my GPU. So in my eagerness I bought the APU over my original choice of an FX-6300. I regret my choice till this day.
My cpu is on stock cooler but I suppose I could bring it up to atleast 4.2ghz safely?
How would I go about overclocking my GPU. A walkthrough/tutorial would be nice.

These are the current specs of my pc. When first setting up to build my pc I had enough funds for all parts except for my GPU. So in my eagerness I bought the APU over my original choice of an FX-6300. I regret my choice till this day.

My cpu is on stock cooler but I suppose I could bring it up to atleast 4.2ghz safely?

How would I go about overclocking my GPU. A walkthrough/tutorial would be nice.

If I were you I´d not try to OC with the stock heatsink. These (and AMD runs always on the warmer side anyways) aren´t made for any kind of overclocks. But sure it´s your hardware :) .

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling