should i buy an SSD?

Admiaczking
Go to solution Solved by dragoon20005,

I want to get a Crucial M500 480 GB cause I'm scared my hard drive will fail. Recommended?

And just a side note, I have never used an SSD before.

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

not so big mate

pick either 250-256 GB at most

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

If you have the money and IF you for sure know that your hard drive will adventually fail then yes.

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

Yes, and if you never have used one, run to a store and buy one.

250-256GB  is enough for most people, if you want to get a large capacity one, go with the MX100 series from Crucial (check the 512GB model). The M500 series are not that good.

If it's for OS and maybe a few programs, 120GB to 250GB is enough for most people. It's definitely worth getting, it makes a huge difference. 

Should you buy an SSD?

yes. no matter what the circumstance, it's always a good time to upgrade to an SSD

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

where's a good place to buy an SSD? i'm not sure where a Micro Center is in Tampa

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

I want to get a Crucial M500 480 GB cause I'm scared my hard drive will fail. Recommended?

The answer is yes you should get an SSD.

However, you must ask yourself two questions:

1. Do you need one that is 480GB

2. Can you afford the 480GB model?

If yes to both, then go for it! M500 is a sweet SSD. However if you don't need all that room you can always go with a smaller model.

Another trick many tech users do is have a SSD for the Operating System, then a secondary HDD for data storage (pictures, music, movies, anything that doesn't benefit from being on an SSD).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

The Crucial M500 SSD is not a bad choice. You could also look into Samsung's SSDs such as their 840/840 EVO series. I would personally buy a smaller SSD for windows and applications you use often and place all the other files/applications on a hard drive.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

where's a good place to buy an SSD? i'm not sure where a Micro Center is in Tampa

Locally? Perhaps someone else from Tampa can help. You can get them online from Newegg or Amazon.com though for sure.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I would only go for a 120GB right now unless you can find something with more storage for a good price. 120 gigs is more than enough for OS storage and applications, maybe a few games too.

Should you buy an SSD?

yes. no matter what the circumstance, it's always a good time to upgrade to an SSD

NO matter what? So it would be smart on my IDE imac g4? No.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I would only go for a 120GB right now unless you can find something with more storage for a good price. 120 gigs is more than enough for OS storage and applications, maybe a few games too.

i'll see if i can get a 256 GB Crucial MX100

I actually used one of those in a workstation build for a client. It's very quick - the guy who uses the workstation says he absolutely loves the PC's speed (and he's glad he didn't get a Mac Pro) :)

I'd say there is nothing wrong with getting flash based storage. It's way faster, portable (if you need a detachable 2.5" drive.), more reliable & less prone to fall damage/sudden jerks/bumps.

Ps could you not decrease the font size, I had a hard time reading it at 100/90% view on chrome.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I'd say there is nothing wrong with getting flash based storage. It's way faster, portable (if you need a detachable 2.5" drive.), more reliable & less prone to fall damage/sudden jerks/bumps.

Ps could you not decrease the font size, I had a hard time reading it at 100/90% view on chrome.

lol sorry about that

NO matter what? So it would be smart on my IDE imac g4? No.

yes it would still be a good IDEa

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

Yes 120GB is not enough, if you want 512GB you can get that as well.

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

yes it would still be a good IDEa

Not when the imac g4 doesnt have trim support. 

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Because it will make your PC go vroom vroom a lot faster.

Apologies. Beer. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Not when the imac g4 doesnt have trim support. 

the pun

--------------

your head

the pun

--------------

your head

No, i just skiped over the pun.

It wasnt very punny

this is why i use AdBlock on most websites, they spy on you

post-89214-0-03541800-1406681584.png