first time overclocker (280x)

JewishBacon

SO I think i'm ready to dive into overclocking.  theres a few things I want to clear up first.  By only changing the core clock of my 280x, I wont decrease the lifespan like if I change the voltage right? I plan on using MSI afterburner and unigen heaven whatever to do a stability test.  If you overclocked your 280x, what clock speed and voltage did you get on it?

STEAM NAME: JewishBacon GPU  Sapphire dual x R9 280x OC edition CPU core i7 4770k stock speed COOLER H100i  CASE Fractal R4 Window Black  MOBO MSI gd-65 gaming Storage 1TB WD Blue drive, 1TB Samsung 7200 rpm, 120 GB OCZ SSD, 64 GB WD Blue ssd  RAM 12 GB @ 1600 Ghz kingston RAM  MiscNZXT HUE, disk read/write, 2x 21 inch 1920x1080 monitors   

If you dont increase the voltage the overclock will become unstable and you will get artefacting, possibly crashes.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Overclocking can decrease the life span of your chip, regardless of the voltage. You're pushing the chip past its specifications, so  decreasing the life span of the chip is a risk you're going to have to take. 

Also, each chip is different, so there's not much point in asking other's for their results. Someone could get an amazing chip that overclocks really well, but you might have a chip that won't overclock at all, so their results will mean nothing to you. You'll have to play around with it and see what you can get. 

Overclocking can decrease the life span of your chip, regardless of the voltage. You're pushing the chip past its specifications, so  decreasing the life span of the chip is a risk you're going to have to take. 

Also, each chip is different, so there's not much point in asking other's for their results. Someone could get an amazing chip that overclocks really well, but you might have a chip that won't overclock at all, so their results will mean nothing to you. You'll have to play around with it and see what you can get

I just want sort of an average to go by....I want to know if something is crazy to try...or when i should stop to be safe. I guess ill just start going up bit by bit

STEAM NAME: JewishBacon GPU  Sapphire dual x R9 280x OC edition CPU core i7 4770k stock speed COOLER H100i  CASE Fractal R4 Window Black  MOBO MSI gd-65 gaming Storage 1TB WD Blue drive, 1TB Samsung 7200 rpm, 120 GB OCZ SSD, 64 GB WD Blue ssd  RAM 12 GB @ 1600 Ghz kingston RAM  MiscNZXT HUE, disk read/write, 2x 21 inch 1920x1080 monitors   

Exactly what iSaeko said.

Honestly, if you don't OC at all the GPU will last probably over 5 years. A good OC will still give you a GPU that last around 5 years, you don't see yourself having that GPU for such long time, don't you?

Go by tiny bits at a time, there are plenty of GPU OCing guides. Remember that every chip is different.

how long should I let unigen / kombuster go beffore I decide it is safe to proceed with the next increment?

how long should I let unigen / kombuster go beffore I decide it is safe to proceed with the next increment?

I usually just do a single run of Valley, looking for artifacts, if there isn't any, i bump up another 10-20Mhz.

Keep going until you do see artifacts then go back 10Mhz.

Then take your core clock back to stock and do the same on the memory side.