Netflix cut a deal with AT&T, will be online soon

Dietrichw

Source

netflix-sign-logo-cali.jpg

Almost as soon as news broke in February that Netflix had agreed to pay Comcast for a direct connection to its network, Verizon and AT&T were in line with their hands out as well. Verizon reached a deal months ago -- that so far has done little to resolve streaming issues -- and now Netflix and AT&T have confirmed that they reached an agreement in May, as first reported by Mashable. In a statement, they said the process of turning up the connections should take place "over the coming days." Netflix CEO Reed Hastings already laid out his disapproval of the ISPs and their policies, and more recently suggested that if the Comcast / Time Warner Cable merger goes through, the combined behemoth should be barred from charging for interconnects.

Netflix / AT&T:

We reached an interconnect agreement with AT&T in May and since then have been working together to provision additional interconnect capacity to improve the viewing experience of our mutual subscribers. We're now beginning to turn up the connections, a process that should be complete in the coming days.

I'm surprised they kept it under wraps for this long

Really Netflix? why?

This post has been promoted to an article

I hate this culture, the precedent that is being created with this BS is very bad indeed in my opinion, we have gone from a company being bent over by one guy, to double penetration, and now on to something even more hardcore.

Me thinks we need gigantic anti-trust regulations or what ever Theodore "T.R." Roosevelt, Jr and other presidents (50's?) did.

and yes i know Roosevelt wasn't in the 50's, that'd be Truman (partially) and Dwight D. Eisenhower. . . .

Me thinks we need gigantic anti-trust regulations or what ever Theodore "T.R." Roosevelt, Jr and other presidents (50's?) did.

1901-1909

That's not TDR. You might be thiking of Celler Kefuaver or whatever (sp?) updates to Clayton & Sherman, that was in the 50's.

regardless, our antitrust legislation is out of date, no specific antitrust law applies to ISPs because they do everything wrong, so literally everything applies because nothing is specific enough. They keep it that way with payoffs and lawyer/lobby power.

Error: 410

Soon, as in waiting for the money to be transferred so we can then hit the switch.

I really can't wait until Google Fiber or other starting companies completely destroy these thieving companies, or at least until the FCC gets off their ass and does something about it instead of just idly waiting.

"A very inspirational quote"

• 3 weeks later...

god i love my isp they were one if only first one to put the server in there head end free of charge to netflix, and my isp is constanly ranked number one by netflix with the rare ocasional number 2.

I hate this culture, the precedent that is being created with this BS is very bad indeed in my opinion, we have gone from a company being bent over by one guy, to double penetration, and now on to something even more hardcore.

Gang bang? 

I don't understand what can Netflix possibly be thinking by digging it's own grave like this: there's no fucking way they'll have any fucking money left after being gang banged by ISPs on the back while they continue to receive a bukakke from the content holders in the front anyway.

I guess Americans will have to give up the streaming thing and just go back to watch endless sing competitions and shows about baking fucking cakes.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Netflix is getting shaken down for protection money. I would put a little smiley emoticon but this shit isn't funny. 

Wait, why doesn't netflix just buy or partner with a VPN provider and give you vpn access with your service for a small fee? That would eliminate all these headaches. 

Pretty soon ISPs will be prioritizing my connections to various websites and networks while choosing if I should be connected at all.

I really can't wait until Google Fiber or other starting companies completely destroy these thieving companies, or at least until the FCC gets off their ass and does something about it instead of just idly waiting.

its just tom wheeler, he talks and makes speeches, but actually does nothing to protect net neutrality.

Energy can not be created nor destroyed, just converted to a different Type of energy.
My blog: T3Krant.blogspot.com

if netflix and consumers used proxies and encrypted the traffic, then the ISPs could not do traffic shaping 

EDIT: what is wrong with this statement?

Energy can not be created nor destroyed, just converted to a different Type of energy.
My blog: T3Krant.blogspot.com

• 4 weeks later...

god i love my isp they were one if only first one to put the server in there head end free of charge to netflix, and my isp is constanly ranked number one by netflix with the rare ocasional number 2.

Who's your ISP?

Ugh... I'm thankful that I'm on an ISP that doesn't pull this BS, I'll tell you that. :/ Net neutrality is dead and buried. There's no hope.

I have Cablevision btw, which is at the top of the US large ISP speed list. Why is this copper faring better than AT&T and Verizon's fiber? Seriously, that it silly.

Both of the below videos are from Tek Syndicate on Youtube. The first video goes into a decent amount of detail on this subject, while the video on the righ actually shows you how you can get around it if you are interested.

TBH, the more Netflix bends over to these ISPs, the more I lose the urge to care for giving them subscription money. I like my companies like I like my women, filled with integrity. Would rather see the SS Netflix sink rather than give these scumbag companies money to not be dicks about their service. Maybe when Netflix is dead, people will actually start to care more.

If they are paying more money to now have better connections it makes you wonder how much these companies were purposely slowing connections down in the first place in order to make it seem so promising? [-insert conspiracy here-]. Net neutrality is dead of course. Do you actually believe it truly existed?

Oh well.

I5 3570K, MSI Z77A G45, 8GB 2133MHz Gskill Ripjaws, MSI TwinFrozr GTX 780, Samsung 840 Evo SSD, WD Green 1TB HDD, OCZ 750 Watt PSU, Zalman Z11+ 

If they are paying more money to now have better connections it makes you wonder how much these companies were purposely slowing connections down in the first place in order to make it seem so promising? [-insert conspiracy here-]. Net neutrality is dead of course. Do you actually believe it truly existed?

Oh well.

A lot. Netflix actually offered an easy option to deal with the load, but only a few big ISPs took that option. Mine did, and thus Netflix loves them lol