New Computer, need help

Hello!

First post for me, been a lurker but hey. Nice to meet you all, anyways to the point.

Friend of mine needs help putting together a new computer, I asked him what of a budget he has to spend on a new PC and he told me 1500 GBP (roughly 2500 USD).

Also asked him what he wants to use this PC for and what he wants out of it, like what games he wants to play at what FPS and with what graphics.

I'm very outdated about the CPUs and GPUs that are out there atm and what is coming, been busy with stuff so haven't had time to get updated. This is why I'm turning to the lovely people at linus tech tips.

He wants to be able to play & record most of his games at about high settings and 60+ FPS. For some of the games I know his ambitions are a bit unrealistic, from what I know at least, might have changed now with new CPUs and GPUs.

So basically he needs the PC to be good enough to play games at 60FPS whilst recording and to be decent enough to allow quick-ish rendering.

List of games

GTA 5
High Graphics
60+ FPS when recording

World of Tanks
High Graphics
60+ FPS when recording

War Thunder
High Graphics
60+ FPS when recording

ARMA 3
High Graphics
40-60+ FPS when recording

Company of Heroes 2
High Graphics
60+ FPS when recording

Planetside 2
High Graphics
60+ FPS

GRID AutoSport
High Graphics
60+ FPS

Wargame: Red dragon
High Graphics
60+ FPS

Notable things from the list are probably GTA 5, ARMA 3 and Planetside 2.

Personally I do not think he'll be able to play & record at 60+ FPS on these games, GTA 5 might work but ARMA 3 and Planetside 2 I do not think so.

Then again, this might have changed since I am outdated considering hardware for a PC right now.

To summarize

Budget: 1500 GBP (2500 USD)

Record at 60+ FPS with High graphical settings

Quick-ish rendering, ie a 40min video not taking 5-6 hours to render at 720p.

NO Overclocking (He doesn't want to and can't)

Thank you for any help!

//Pueblos

Grats on your first post. Give me a few moments to make a build and I'll post it here.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Here it is!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sBtZ99

CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($114.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($208.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($129.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1957.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-29 18:25 EDT-0400

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Fuck my life I accidentally pressed remove all. Wait for @TheKDub :P

Edit: PIKACHUS UNITE!

Edit: ALso his ambitions are far from unrealistic. If he OC's an I7-4790k a bit and has either a GTX 780 Ti or Dual R9 290 all of his ambitions are very easily reached.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Hello!

First post for me, been a lurker but hey. Nice to meet you all, anyways to the point.

Friend of mine needs help putting together a new computer, I asked him what of a budget he has to spend on a new PC and he told me 1500 GBP (roughly 2500 USD).

Also asked him what he wants to use this PC for and what he wants out of it, like what games he wants to play at what FPS and with what graphics.

I'm very outdated about the CPUs and GPUs that are out there atm and what is coming, been busy with stuff so haven't had time to get updated. This is why I'm turning to the lovely people at linus tech tips.

He wants to be able to play & record most of his games at about high settings and 60+ FPS. For some of the games I know his ambitions are a bit unrealistic, from what I know at least, might have changed now with new CPUs and GPUs.

So basically he needs the PC to be good enough to play games at 60FPS whilst recording and to be decent enough to allow quick-ish rendering.

List of games

GTA 5
High Graphics
60+ FPS when recording

World of Tanks
High Graphics
60+ FPS when recording

War Thunder
High Graphics
60+ FPS when recording

ARMA 3
High Graphics
40-60+ FPS when recording

Company of Heroes 2
High Graphics
60+ FPS when recording

Planetside 2
High Graphics
60+ FPS

GRID AutoSport
High Graphics
60+ FPS

Wargame: Red dragon
High Graphics
60+ FPS

Notable things from the list are probably GTA 5, ARMA 3 and Planetside 2.

Personally I do not think he'll be able to play & record at 60+ FPS on these games, GTA 5 might work but ARMA 3 and Planetside 2 I do not think so.

Then again, this might have changed since I am outdated considering hardware for a PC right now.

To summarize what he needs the pc to do.

Record at 60+ FPS with High graphical settings

Quick-ish rendering, ie a 40min video not taking 5-6 hours to render at 720p.

Thank you for any help!

//Pueblos

Well.. other games should be easy but World of Tanks is a pain in the ass == I have a GTX 780 and I can barely get 60fps with 1 or 2 setting already turn to off or low, but my GPU usage is still around 60% only.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£236.34 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£110.38 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£95.96 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£89.95 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  (£299.15 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  (£299.15 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case  (£89.99 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £1492.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-29 23:23 BST+0100

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

Not posting build... but just a bit of though for you and your friend... and yes you're correct on that ARMA 3 and planetside 2 (probably world of tanks also... but unlikely that GTA 5 will be (have to see when the game is released)) will be hard to record at 1080p 60+ fps... unless you get capture card... a decent capture card wont affect the fps at all... and with the budget you have, it won't be problem to include it in the build list

PLEASE QUOTE OR TAG (WITH @) ME IF YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT ME TO REPLY!!!!!!!

Also if your issue is solved don't forget to mark the thread as solved!
Peace!!! from a random person in the tech's god forsaken land (named Finland or as I like to call it sarcastically FUNland)

$2500!!!!! on a first build wow starting the bar high i see lol.  Well i would help you but im really only good at making build form $400-$800 i dont know as much on the higher end GPU's and intel cores:P

@Megazero I would go with Sapphire Tri-x's as opposed to MSI. Sapphire rules the ATI graphics card market.

Edit: @TheKDub Use export BBcode, that's a lot better than what you've done there.

Not posting build... but just a bit of though for you and your friend... and yes you're correct on that ARMA 3 and planetside 2 (probably world of tanks also... but unlikely that GTA 5 will be (have to see when the game is released)) will be hard to record at 1080p 60+ fps... unless you get capture card... a decent capture card wont affect the fps at all... and with the budget you have, it won't be problem to include it in the build list

he could use shadowplay or AMD's thing

@Megazero I would go with Sapphire Tri-x's as opposed to MSI. Sapphire rules the ATI graphics card market.

Edit: @TheKDub Use export BBcode, that's a lot better than what you've done there.

Yeah I figured that out :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

he could use shadowplay or AMD's thing

I've seen post saying that it still affect the performances by 1 - 5%... and yea that may be the "deciding" factor for 60+ fps... with capture card it's guarantee smooth sailing and with his budjet it won't be problem to buy a good capture card

PLEASE QUOTE OR TAG (WITH @) ME IF YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT ME TO REPLY!!!!!!!

Peace!!! from a random person in the tech's god forsaken land (named Finland or as I like to call it sarcastically FUNland)

My Recommendation:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Zj9gFT

Intel core i7 4790k - its overclockable and is able to render decently fast.  

Noctua NH-D15 - its a fantastic cooler that is extremerly quiet, not only will it be quiet and keep them sane, but it will not add background noise to recordings. 

Asus z97-pro motherboard - its pretty standard, it does everything you need and has allot of good features but doesn't break the bank. 

16Gb of Corsair Vengance pro 1600 - because it works as you want and its low profile enough to fit under the NH-D15's second fan.  

Samsung 850 pro 256GB SSD - I assume they want fast and reliable storage that is up to date, the 850 pro is about as good as it gets and will be reliable too.  

Seagate Barracuda 3TB - If they're recording videos they will need a place to store it all, same goes for the games.  

x2 EVGA GTX 780 6GB - This will be overkill for what they need but will allow them to get over 60 fps in future games too, it will have 6GB of vram to work with, so it should be good for 4k as well.  You also have shadowplay, if they were willing to go with the AMD alternative AMD r9 290s might have been a better choice, but because Shadowplay I feel is a bit more polished and stable. 

Fractal design define r4 - nothing else needed to say.

Seasonic X Series 1050w 80+ Gold - Seasonic makes super high quality power supplies, and this power supply is effecient and provides more than enough wattage. 

Total: $2534USD

I've seen post saying that it still affect the performances by 1 - 5%... and yea that may be the "deciding" factor for 60+ fps... with capture card it's guarantee smooth sailing and with his budjet it won't be problem to buy a good capture card

yea... but it seems like some people just get 1-5 FPS drop or non at all.  Il support you on it because your probably right 

yea... but it seems like some people just get 1-5 FPS drop or non at all.  Il support you on it because your probably right 

lol honestly with as big budjet as we are dealing with... its better to just be on the safe side and get capture card xD but yea lets stop hijacking the thread D=

My Recommendation:

Noctua NH-D15 - its a fantastic cooler that is extremerly quiet, not only will it be quiet and keep them sane, but it will not add background noise to recordings. 

Asus z97-pro motherboard - its pretty standard, it does everything you need and has allot of good features but doesn't break the bank. 

16Gb of Corsair Vengance pro 1600 - because it works as you want and its low profile enough to fit under the NH-D15's second fan.  

Samsung 850 pro 256GB SSD - I assume they want fast and reliable storage that is up to date, the 850 pro is about as good as it gets and will be reliable too.  

Seagate Barracuda 3TB - If they're recording videos they will need a place to store it all, same goes for the games.  

x2 EVGA GTX 780 6GB - This will be overkill for what they need but will allow them to get over 60 fps in future games too, it will have 6GB of vram to work with, so it should be good for 4k as well.  You also have shadowplay, if they were willing to go with the AMD alternative AMD r9 290s might have been a better choice, but because Shadowplay I feel is a bit more polished and stable. 

Seasonic X Series 1050w 80+ Gold - Seasonic makes super high quality power supplies, and this power supply is effecient and provides more than enough wattage. 

This one is a mistake on the topic-maker side though, 1500GBP dont really convert to 2500GBP, your build would become around 1k8 GBP instead

I also want to choose Nvidia for the shadowplay, but... ~

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

My Recommendation:

Dude

1050W is overkill for 2 780's. A Corsair AX860i is more than enough for that. go 900-950 if you want to be safe. (http://media.bestofmicro.com/W/S/408124/original/05-Power-Consumption-Torture.png)

You don't need a 6GB card unless you go serious multi-monitor (triple 1440p or 4K). Go for the 3GB if you stick to 1 1440p monitor 3 1080p monitors.

Wow, you guys are amazing O.o Didn't think there would be this many replies in such a short span of time. Thank you so much!

Something I should mention (will add this in OP), friend is in the UK, so giving me where to buy these things in the USA or NA won't be of much help and just extra hassle for you guys, sorry!

Well.. other games should be easy but World of Tanks is a pain in the ass == I have a GTX 780 and I can barely get 60fps with 1 or 2 setting already turn to off or low, but my GPU usage is still around 60% only.

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£110.38 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£95.96 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£89.95 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case  (£89.99 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £1492.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-29 23:23 BST+0100

World of Tanks is no biggie, the thing is getting a new engine this year (Havok engine) so it is actually going to utilize more than 1 core (yay!)

This one is a mistake on the topic-maker side though, 1500GBP dont really convert to 2500GBP, your build would become around 1k8 GBP instead

I also want to choose Nvidia for the shadowplay, but... ~

https://www.google.se/search?q=1500+GBP+in+USD&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=1SHYU6KmK4bK8geF8IEw

1500 GBP do convert to 2500 USD :)

Wow, you guys are amazing O.o Didn't think there would be this many replies in such a short span of time. Thank you so much!

Something I should mention (will add this in OP), friend is in the UK, so giving me where to buy these things in the USA or NA won't be of much help and just extra hassle for you guys, sorry!

World of Tanks is no biggie, the thing is getting a new engine this year (Havok engine) so it is actually going to utilize more than 1 core (yay!)

https://www.google.se/search?q=1500+GBP+in+USD&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=1SHYU6KmK4bK8geF8IEw

1500 GBP do convert to 2500 USD :)

For WOT, I wont believe it until I saw it in action :3 Cause that game has been messing with me for a while now == I know about the engine upgrade, but I shall still be skeptical ATM,

As for the convert, I dont mean it like that. it's true 1500GBP is about 2500USD, but when it come to PC component it's different cause taxes and other stuff, so if the component is about 2500 USD in USA, the same thing in Britian will cost 1700GBP, here's the exactly same build as that 2500 USD build overthere but in UK store:

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (£75.78 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Motherboard: Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£146.06 @ More Computers) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£127.39 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£142.62 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 6GB Superclocked ACX Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (£440.76 @ CCL Computers) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 6GB Superclocked ACX Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (£440.76 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £1748.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-29 23:42 BST+0100

(And the PSU is not even counted yet since there's none of it in UK store)

Dude

1050W is overkill for 2 780's. A Corsair AX860i is more than enough for that. go 900-950 if you want to be safe. (http://media.bestofmicro.com/W/S/408124/original/05-Power-Consumption-Torture.png)

You don't need a 6GB card unless you go serious multi-monitor (triple 1440p or 4K). Go for the 3GB if you stick to 1 1440p monitor 3 1080p monitors.

I know its overkill, thats why I chose it.   

I chose 6GB so they will have the flexibility to go 4k and go surround with room to spare, I also choice a 1050watt power supply because they will have a ton of room for addin cards, ram, hard drives and more.  With still room to spare.  

@PueblosWrath

Go to Pcpartpicker.com and select United Kingdom in the top right. Then pick the parts that were chosen by the person using the US builder and boom you can instantly see the most important information and you can very easily tweak your build.

I chose 6GB so they will have the flexibility to go 4k and go surround with room to spare, I also choice a 1050watt power supply because they will have a ton of room for addin cards, ram, hard drives and more.  With still room to spare.  

I just linked that GTX 780 uses around 220W max during gaming so 2 in SLI will mean 440W. That means 1050 is such stupid overkill that even if you want breathing room it is stupid. An AX860i will be more than enough.

For WOT, I wont believe it until I saw it in action :3 Cause that game has been messing with me for a while now == I know about the engine upgrade, but I shall still be skeptical ATM,

As for the convert, I dont mean it like that. it's true 1500GBP is about 2500USD, but when it come to PC component it's different cause taxes and other stuff, so if the component is about 2500 USD in USA, the same thing in Britian will cost 1700GBP, here's the exactly same build as that 2500 USD build overthere but in UK store:

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (£75.78 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Motherboard: Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£146.06 @ More Computers) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£127.39 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£142.62 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Total: £1748.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-29 23:42 BST+0100

(And the PSU is not even counted yet since there's none of it in UK store)

I'm skeptical too but I mean, finally being able to use all my cores can't mean I'll get lower FPS :P or can it, in this magical world called "reality" is such a thing possible?

@PueblosWrath

Go to Pcpartpicker.com and select United Kingdom in the top right. Then pick the parts that were chosen by the person using the US builder and boom you can instantly see the most important information and you can very easily tweak your build.

Ah, didn't know that. Thank you! :)

I agree with choosing the 6GB GTX 780 now over the 3GB, but again, look at my previous quote of your post, the price is not 1500 GBP, it go up to around 1800 GBP, 

Also for the PSU, yes there's headroom for those stuff, but even so I'd still suggest a 850-900W at most PSU though, since 3 way SLI/Crossfire is a waste of money and not even that many game can take advantage of it, and stuff like Ram, HDD, SSD etc dont need that much headroom anyway (Plus you can get too many since there's not that many SATA or Ram slot in the first place). With 2 GTX 780 and the i7 4790k, the W needed should be about 740, so about 100W headroom is already enough. 

I agree with choosing the 6GB GTX 780 now over the 3GB, but again, look at my previous quote of your post, the price is not 1500 GBP, it go up to around 1800 GBP, 

Also for the PSU, yes there's headroom for those stuff, but even so I'd still suggest a 850-900W at most PSU though, since 3 way SLI/Crossfire is a waste of money and not even that many game can take advantage of it, and stuff like Ram, HDD, SSD etc dont need that much headroom anyway (Plus you can get too many since there's not that many SATA or Ram slot in the first place). With 2 GTX 780 and the i7 4790k, the W needed should be about 740, so about 100W headroom is already enough. 

yeah, good point.  I guess those are the things to to if we need to cut the price a bit.  Maybe get an 840 evo instead of an 850 pro as well. 

I'm skeptical too but I mean, finally being able to use all my cores can't mean I'll get lower FPS :P or can it, in this magical world called "reality" is such a thing possible?

Ah, didn't know that. Thank you! :)

Well... CPU cores aside (I have a 4770k too, and my FPS is still like that...) unless they somehow use 100% load of the GPU the performance should still be like that. I've been waiting for that engine update for quite a while already :(