Is it just me or is the "Need for Speed" franchise not nearly as good as it used to be?

I feel that the quality of "Need for Speed" games has really taken a turn for the worst in recent years. The last good "Need for Speed" game I played was probably "Carbon" and I thought "Undercover" was ok too. I foolishly preordered "The Run" which turned out to be a huge waste of money and since then I have really been put off by the whole franchise. I miss the whole underground boy racer tuning car feel that the games used to have. Just wondering if anyone else shares my opinion on the franchise?

LobotikaNZ

I only enjoyed the need for speed games on the Burnout engine.

Midnight Club 3 DUB Edition was the king of the old school arcade racers on PS2 days. :)

I liked it up to pro street. Then it just started feeling "meh"

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

In my opinion, Need for speed hasn't been good since Underground 2. I moved onto the Forza world and couldn't be happier

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

Last one i had real fun on was the original Most Wanted, followed by Underground 2. The original Underground was alright, the rest are just meh.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Underground 2 ftw!

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

In my opinion, Need for speed hasn't been good since Underground 2. I moved onto the Forza world and couldn't be happier

Yeah same actually, I bought and Xbox just so I could play "Forza 4". Loved "Underground 2"

The only recent NFS that I enjoyed was Hot Pursuit (2010).

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Yeah same actually, I bought and Xbox just so I could play "Forza 4". Loved "Underground 2"

Forza so far has been the only game I have truly enjoyed on my XB1. I have had Thief, Watch dogs, Titanfall and Froza 5. I have gotten bored of all except for Forza so I can not wait for Horizon 2 to come out at the end of September. It seems to be a need for speed like game with actual laws of physics. 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

Well i enjoy nearly all nfs games for the multiplayer, always good fun. However the single player is going down hill, especially nfs most wanted as there was no story at all, they need to bring back a story like nfs Carbon had into the new one as "they are listening to fans in this game"

CPU: i7 8700k Motherboard: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming RAM: 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (2 white, 2 black) GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor Case: Corsair Crystal 570x White HDD: 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Sata 3 SSD: 240GB Corsair Force 3 + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series™ H150i PSU: Corsair RM750i OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown Monitor: Samsung S24C570L 1080p 23.6" + AOC AGON 240Hz 1080p Sound: HyperX Cloud Headset Black/Red + Logitech Z213 Speakers 2.1

U2 and MW is one of the best NFS i played. I haven't got PC when U1 or any earlier NFS was mainstream :) . Carbon was meh, somehow I liked Pro Street, Undercover was meh, Hot Pursuit was actually pretty good. And then everything after that - crap. Most Wanted reboot... EA WHY YOU DO THIS TO US?

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

underground 1 and 2 are my fav while i have moved on to forza it does not meet all of the things i like out of a car game like being able to modify your car like you could in nfs even just changing your exhaust tip would make me happier lol also i hate how the wheel doesnt have like i think its 900 degree steering in the game like the steering wheel wont turn that much it sucks they call it a race sim but dont have a fully turning steering wheel wtf.

The Run is terrible.. the car sounds are soo inaccurate and they use cheap tricks for "good" graphics, they said they would skip this year so hopefully they have something cool for 2015, maybe a remake of Carbon? :3

OMG, a remake of "Carbon" would be soooo good. I miss the realism of the old games, hence I now prefer to play "Forza".

LobotikaNZ

The times where you could customize everything on your car, was the lowest the NFS Franchise has ever been (As a franchise, not a game)

NFS Rivals (other then it being locked at 30 FPS) was the best NFS in a while. Need For Speed never was about customizing your car. It was about running away from the cops and the risk of not getting away.

Carbon was excellent.

As above, NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 was the last of the good games.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

@XTankSlayerX Is a first person that shows us that some intelligent people actually like New NFSs, but they are a niche in older/intelligent community.

It all depends on our taste, but on Most Wanted Criterion I was driving for 2-3 weeks with little kiddos... Then I got bored and went back to NFS U1 for 666th play through xD

Why I love Underground/Most Wanted1/Carbon?

-Speed! Arcadish speed where you can feel like a god of wheel without feeling of driving in cartoon boxes.

-Hyped story. I love all this "You are shit and you have nothing to say in this world. But you know you will destroy EVERYONE!"

-Tuning. I love old style Half-Rice Tuning (Even my HAF XB will have a FnF Skyline looks :D)

-Fight! Underground is awesome, cause it's constant race. You jump from race to race, keep fighting and fighting landing in Tuner just to put new upgrade and some favorite body kits.

Why I love ProStreet:

-Tuning! All those stickers, vids between races with all this smoke flying logos Pure Power!

-Drag, speed attacks.

-Hype that this game squeezes into me :D

Why I liked The Run:

-Extreme difficulty (Squeezing every millisecond in my Chevy that has so much power it spins wheels on 3 gear, just to pass to next map.)

Why I hate Criterion/Burnout style NFSs:

-It's not my belowed Burnout Paradise! It's like an alpha version of it...

-Booooring. You drive for what? Everything is unlocked... You can't change shit... You can only improve your time on this and this track... Fuck you Criterion!

-Except Hot Pursuits constant drift and quite big traffic every game has shitty cartoon box like driving...

Why I don't like The Run:

-Only Xbox360 controller works on PC (And does it barely). I played every NFS on steering wheel (Except Criterion shit)