Square Enix on death row.

Chriz6097

Thief 2014 probably was the cause of all of this  :P

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

Maybe if they made an action game rather than keeping to the old turn based system in Final Fantasy

what... Have you not been paying attention to what Square has been publishing lately?

Deus Ex Human revolution, Tomb Raider 2013, hitman absolutiob, all Square Enix games.

Possibly goodbye Deus Ex  :(

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

I was going to say that if they'd just remade FF7 they wouldn't have had a problem. Even if it costs the same as making an entirely new FF game, it would sell better since you'd be targeting people new to the series as well as older players that have fond memories of the PS1 era games, for example I personally have had no interest in anything after X, even that was pushing it for me, but HD versions of the older games I'd be way more interested in.

If they did a 3DS game they could maybe do it, but consider that FF7 is old and it feels old. Even with update graphics, voice acting, the works it will still feel like a game from the late 90s. On top of that since it would have to budget of a AAA title there is no way in hell they'd be able to afford to charge anything less than $60 for it. How many people are going to pay $60 for a game that would be over 20 years old by the time it came out?

Actually here's a more realistic (and even more sad) scenario: They will kill all western development and most of their japanese development as well and just throw every bit of cash they can muster into a fucking pathetic Final Fantasy title, possibly 15 v2 or 16 or whatever the fuck. 

That is sort of already happening since they cannot see past their own hubris and just insists on trying to triumph with another fucking Final Fantasy instead of focusing all this other excellent franchises that have clearly outdone anything they have been doing with FF for the last 14 years.

Bravely Default has sold over a million copies and has cause SquareEnix to notice and talk about doing more games like that and going more back to their roots. SE at least isn't as hard headed as Capcom.

Bravely Default has sold over a million copies and has cause SquareEnix to notice and talk about doing more games like that and going more back to their roots. SE at least isn't as hard headed as Capcom.

Yeah....I don't think so. I mean for any other sensible company it would be very good but for Square, the company that considered Tomb Raider, a game that sold 6.5 million copiesfailure I don't think they'll go back to any fucking roots.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yeah....I don't think so. I mean for any other sensible company it would be very good but for Square, the company that considered Tomb Raider, a game that sold 6.5 million copiesfailure I don't think they'll go back to any fucking roots.

The problem with TR is a problem with the entire AAA industry. Tomb Raider had a fucking massive advertising budget and a huge development staff. They seem to have toned down the crazy a little since then. At least they're able to recognize a game that will do well for them. One of SE's biggest issues is that their Japanese arm is still trying to operate as an old Japanese company. They don't seem quite sure how to properly manage the Eidos stuff yet. It does appear like they're trying but like many mega publishers they are very slow to react and way too stuck in the old ways. They are also falling into the same trap as EA, Ubisoft, and Activision and just pushing DLC and pre-order crap to try and make up for their insane overbloated budgets.

The problem with TR is a problem with the entire AAA industry. Tomb Raider had a fucking massive advertising budget and a huge development staff. They seem to have toned down the crazy a little since then. At least they're able to recognize a game that will do well for them. One of SE's biggest issues is that their Japanese arm is still trying to operate as an old Japanese company. They don't seem quite sure how to properly manage the Eidos stuff yet. It does appear like they're trying but like many mega publishers they are very slow to react and way too stuck in the old ways. They are also falling into the same trap as EA, Ubisoft, and Activision and just pushing DLC and pre-order crap to try and make up for their insane overbloated budgets.

I disagree: They have not tuned down they just haven't had another major Final Fantasy title out since. Once they do however, they will blow it the fuck over on pointless marketing campaigns.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I disagree: They have not tuned down they just haven't had another major Final Fantasy title out since. Once they do however, they will blow it the fuck over on pointless marketing campaigns.

The FF games still sell very well though. For whatever reason Lightening was very popular in Japan and that sparked the sequels. That's like criticizing Activision for marketing the hell out of COD when the returns are obviously there. With Tomb Raider SE vastly over-estimated what they would get back from their advertising.

The FF games still sell very well though. For whatever reason Lightening was very popular in Japan and that sparked the sequels. That's like criticizing Activision for marketing the hell out of COD when the returns are obviously there. With Tomb Raider SE vastly over-estimated what they would get back from their advertising.

I'm not saying they aren't popular but Lightning did NOT spark those sequels: They were pre-planned since Square announced XIII as a trilogy saga years before even the first one came out, at most they just did a bit of rewritting making the second one about lightning and the third one as it's own game as XV but they were already working on the titles for a while.

-------

Current Rig

-------

What point? That SE doesn't make action oriented games or that they don't make good ones these days? You realize Kingdom Hearts 3 is in development and Dream Drop Distance came out last year. 

... What trailer for FFXV did you see? It has a cover system. KH doesn't have a cover system. It does have a menu system, but you can actively change characters mid-battle. You can't do that in KH. I could go on. 

Undoubtedly. 

I saw the E3 2013 trailer that they showed. I've even seen a video analyzing the gameplay and comparing it the Kingdom Heart, in which that reinforces my statement on being an upgraded Kingdom's Heart. The UI is very similar to that of the Kingdom's Hearts and the commands list might as well be the exact same from Kingdom's Heart. I saw the cover system, but its not clear enough of its use and purpose. It could just be the use of animations where simply walking by a wall will trigger that animation.

what... Have you not been paying attention to what Square has been publishing lately?

Deus Ex Human revolution, Tomb Raider 2013, hitman absolutiob, all Square Enix games.

Some of those are good games, but I didn't find them that amazing. I have a much more memorable experience playing their PS2 games such as Radiata Stories, FF10, Kingdom Hearts 1, FF12 (which I enjoyed the change of pace), and Musashi: Samurai Legend.

I'm not saying they aren't popular but Lightning did NOT spark those sequels: They were pre-planned since Square announced XIII as a trilogy saga years before even the first one came out, at most they just did a bit of rewritting making the second one about lightning and the third one as it's own game as XV but they were already working on the titles for a while.

Actually, they never announced a trilogy of XIII games. What they announced was Fabula Nova Crystallis. A series of games while not directly tied to each other through story share a related mythos about crystals and deities tied to them. The original three games were Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Agito XIII which later became Final Fantasy Type-0 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII which later turned into Final Fantasy XV. A sequel or something linked to Type-0 called Final Fantasty Agito was also released. The sequels XIII were never part of that and were only announced after FFXIII released. Or to put it more directly: Development on XIII-2 didn't even start until early 2010 and was announced in January of 2011. Lightening Returns started development mid-2012 and was announced in August of that year as part of the 25th Anniversary of the franchise.

Actually, they never announced a trilogy of XIII games. What they announced was Fabula Nova Crystallis. A series of games while not directly tied to each other through story share a related mythos about crystals and deities tied to them. The original three games were Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Agito XIII which later became Final Fantasy Type-0 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII which later turned into Final Fantasy XV. A sequel or something linked to Type-0 called Final Fantasty Agito was also released. The sequels XIII were never part of that and were only announced after FFXIII released. Or to put it more directly: Development on XIII-2 didn't even start until early 2010 and was announced in January of 2011. Lightening Returns started development mid-2012 and was announced in August of that year as part of the 25th Anniversary of the franchise.

So it wasn't a trilogy....just 3 games called "Final Fantasy" within the same universe.....Yeah dude you're splitting hairs here: The point is that they already had 3 fucking games planned. I'm really done with this fucking nitpicking.

-------

Current Rig

-------

So it wasn't a trilogy....just 3 games called "Final Fantasy" within the same universe.....Yeah dude you're splitting hairs here: The point is that they already had 3 fucking games planned. I'm really done with this fucking nitpicking.

It's not nitpicking Agito and Versus had NOTHING TO DO WITH LIGHTENING OR THE STORY OF FFXIII. In fact neither of them are technically even part of Fabula Nova Crystallis anymore. The development of the two XIII squeals is well documented. It took me all of two minutes to find everything I mentioned, including all the dates. You specifically said the sequels were announced before XIII released, that is false. You said they changed the story in those announced games to make it fit, that is also false. You are wrong on every single fucking level of your argument. If you don't have the balls to admit it that's your problem I guess.

soooo I guess the whole new tomb raider that they released a trailer for doesn't mean anything?

I seriously doubt that just by selling all your games on humble bundle means that you're closing shop permanently

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

It's not nitpicking Agito and Versus had NOTHING TO DO WITH LIGHTENING OR THE STORY OF FFXIII. In fact neither of them are technically even part of Fabula Nova Crystallis anymore. The development of the two XIII squeals is well documented. It took me all of two minutes to find everything I mentioned, including all the dates. You specifically said the sequels were announced before XIII released, that is false. You said they changed the story in those announced games to make it fit, that is also false. You are wrong on every single fucking level of your argument. If you don't have the balls to admit it that's your problem I guess.

Quite correct sir. I just want 15 released in all its next gen super graphical glory so I can control that price dude with telepathic phantasmal swords :-D

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Dumb thread is dumb.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

If they did a 3DS game they could maybe do it, but consider that FF7 is old and it feels old. Even with update graphics, voice acting, the works it will still feel like a game from the late 90s. On top of that since it would have to budget of a AAA title there is no way in hell they'd be able to afford to charge anything less than $60 for it. How many people are going to pay $60 for a game that would be over 20 years old by the time it came out?

I don't understand how a game that has 'updated graphics, voice acting, the works' will feel like an old game? It's like saying any FPS released now feels like Doom.

I'd pay $100 for a proper remake. If people are paying $60 for CoD 17 or Watchdogs then I can't see them having an issue. Since it had been remade with 'the works' the only thing 20 years old would be the storyline and concept.

I don't understand how a game that has 'updated graphics, voice acting, the works' will feel like an old game? It's like saying any FPS released now feels like Doom.

I'd pay $100 for a proper remake. If people are paying $60 for CoD 17 or Watchdogs then I can't see them having an issue. Since it had been remade with 'the works' the only thing 20 years old would be the storyline and concept.

Because it would still have the gameplay mechanics from 1997. SE couldn't touch those without pissing off pretty much everyone. FFX still holds up decently well mechanically, but FF7 is feeling it's age (I replayed a couple hours of it when SE re-released the old Eidos PC port). I'd buy a remake for full price as well but I'm not going to assume I'm an example of the general consumer in this situation.

COD sequels, a new IP, and a remake of 17 year old game are not remotely the same. The people that buy COD titles every year are not exactly the people who would be buying a FF7 remake.

Anybody else think that a Final Fantasy 7 HD Remake would help them?

It would.  But the blind arrogance that will likely put them in the bread line won't allow it.  Not that I think HD FF7 would be some sort of amazing deal but it would sell.  So many people would buy it just because.  If they just kept the games to what their core fans loved they likely would have gone on forever and from time to time would make massive hits.  But instead they wanted to force mega box office smashes for every title and for that reason I have no doubt a fresh grave is ready for them sooner rather than later.

Corsair 900D [ASUS Sabertooth Z87] i7 4770K @ 4.6ghz [x4 4BG Corsair Dominator Platnum 2133mhz]
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (OS) [2TB  Western Digital Caviar Black (Storage)] 2x Nivida 980GTX SLI 

Beyerdynamic DT990's [Logitech 600] Razor Blackwiddow Ultimate [MS XBOX360 gamepad]

Proof, or it didn't happen. Googling around yields nothing, this thread is nothing short of a lie.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

It would.  But the blind arrogance that will likely put them in the bread line won't allow it.  Not that I think HD FF7 would be some sort of amazing deal but it would sell.  So many people would buy it just because.  If they just kept the games to what their core fans loved they likely would have gone on forever and from time to time would make massive hits.  But instead they wanted to force mega box office smashes for every title and for that reason I have no doubt a fresh grave is ready for them sooner rather than later.

So many people? Really? Enough people to make spending the same time and money as a brand new title worth it? Consider that the goal wouldn't be to make their money back but to make a large profit. Modern remakes and re-releases are weird in terms of sales. In a lot of cases they do not sell as much as their original releases. On the other hand most of them cost significantly less so it's a much lower risk and the publisher can afford to sell them at a budget price. The updated re-release/barebones remake path isn't an option for games this old. You can't simply HD-ify a PS1 game. Well...You can but it would look like ass. SE would need to redesign every single asset from the ground up, create brand new animations, re-create every single gameplay mechanic in a new engine, ect. About the only thing they could keep would be the plot (though personally I'd love to work done on that, if only just in the form of a new translation). Story is the cheap part of game development, making everything with modern graphics is the expensive part. Before I go off on too much of a tangent here I'll cut to the chase: The AAA-level budget for the remake would mean SE would have to charge $60 for the game. While there are people out there willing to pay that for a good remake of FF7 how likely do you think it is that there will be enough of them to make SE a large profit on the release?