Is this a decent SSD ?

I/O
Go to solution Solved by hojnikb,

Well, it seems like you're really hell-bent on going for the MX100, and I respect that. Keep in mind that the EVO is faster in all categories and the samsung data migration software is excellent compared to what crucial has to offer. However, this is just my opinion. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

its really not. MX100 destroys it in writes and some areas of reads aswell.

But that really doesn't matter, as those ssds are so fast compared to a hard drive, that you won't notice any differences between them. Unless you're doing some really heavy IO, but then again, sata drives ain't that good anyway :P :P :P

tl;dr

Get the MX100 and ignore samsung/intel fanboys.

No not really. The read times and latency are almost exactly the same on the Samsung 840 vs Crusical M550 vs MX100. As for price between 290 OC and 780ti ... The performance really is not there to justify the 780ti massive price premium.

Did I say cross manufacturer? No I didn't so stop wrecking my perfectly good analogy.

Its called the low of dimishng returns. Which is why any PC above $1000-$1500 your going to be spending considerably more money to get significaly more pefformance or getting less performance for your dollar.

I was comparing stepping from the 780 to 780 ti from the 840 EVO to the 850 pro for that exact reason. The 840 EVO provides 80-90% of the performance of the 850 pro.

Yeah, but you're only paying $30 extra for the Samsung 840. An argument can be made that the reliability and extra bit of performance can justify the small "price premium" that is $30 extra...

We can't quantify the reliability difference between the MX100 and 840 drive as they have both been proven and reviewed to be very reliable and recommend drives. I don't think the 840 would be notable faster in real world use to be honest.

We can't quantify the reliability difference between the MX100 and 840 drive as they have both been proven and reviewed to be very reliable and recommend drives. I don't think the 840 would be notable faster in real world use to be honest.

Well, it seems like you're really hell-bent on going for the MX100, and I respect that. Keep in mind that the EVO is faster in all categories and the samsung data migration software is excellent compared to what crucial has to offer. However, this is just my opinion. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 | Motherboard: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 8gb (2x4gb) Corsair LP @1600mhz | GPU: Asus TUF GTX 1660 OC 6GB | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | Storage: 250gb Samsung 840 EVO and 1TB WD Black 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Display: Asus VG245H 1920x1080 | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and default case fans | Laptop: Early 2015 13" Macbook Pro Retina - i5 2.7Ghz - 256GB SSD

Data Migration software LOL. How about data migration hardware .... an external mass storage device. I belive most anyone would be delighted with any of these offering. but the EVO I can save money with the other SSD and spend the saving on another stick of Vram sa as to actually run my PC in dual channel which between that and the SSD would problem be faster and better than the 840 alone.

Data Migration software LOL. How about data migration hardware .... an external mass storage device. I belive most anyone would be delighted with any of these offering. but the EVO I can save money with the other SSD and spend the saving on another stick of Vram sa as to actually run my PC in dual channel which between that and the SSD would problem be faster and better than the 840 alone.

You're going to buy another stick of VRAM? What GPU are you running to use sticks of VRAM?

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 | Motherboard: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 8gb (2x4gb) Corsair LP @1600mhz | GPU: Asus TUF GTX 1660 OC 6GB | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | Storage: 250gb Samsung 840 EVO and 1TB WD Black 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Display: Asus VG245H 1920x1080 | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and default case fans | Laptop: Early 2015 13" Macbook Pro Retina - i5 2.7Ghz - 256GB SSD

You're going to buy another stick of VRAM? What GPU are you running to use sticks of VRAM?

Ram and sorry for the shit tier grammar and sentence structure LOL OPPS.

But that really doesn't matter, as those ssds are so fast compared to a hard drive, that you won't notice any differences between them. Unless you're doing some really heavy IO, but then again, sata drives ain't that good anyway :P :P :P

tl;dr

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

tl;dr

Best answer . Fuck the fanboy's MX100 has received many awards from many different respected review publications for performance, price and reliability and it is a highly recommended drive by the professionals for everyday use gaming, surfing, media etc.

Everyone keeps quoting reliability but there's nothing I've read that says that *any* drive from anyone is unreliable. I'd go on price. The MX100 has killed everyone on price so go with that. If something is cheaper for the same size, go with that. Choose your size an get one!

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Everyone keeps quoting reliability but there's nothing I've read that says that *any* drive from anyone is unreliable. I'd go on price. The MX100 has killed everyone on price so go with that. If something is cheaper for the same size, go with that. Choose your size an get one!

PNY drives are known for being problematic. My OCZ agility 3 has given me some problems but hasn't critically failed, yet. and i've had two SanDisk drives outright die on me while still in warranty.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

The OCZ ssd problems were one of the reasons they went down. Near the end I think they were getting them from the garbage. You won't be seeing that from ToshibaOCZ I guarantee that. Very unusual for SanDisk. You DID get them replaced I assume. PNY, I don't know. They are definitely second tier and even third tier depending on your ranking. They are what's supposed to be a value player but the first tier players are killing that notion. I wouldn't even consider them as a vendor when you have Crucial and Samsung duking it out and Patriot, Adata, Kingston and Corsair trying to vacuum up the crumbs.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

They must've been. I've got the issues straightened out, for the most part, but i'm just waiting for it to die on me. It's currently running at about 50% of the speed as when it was new, which wasn't all that impressive anyway (that is to say... it's basically running marginally faster than a standard mechanical drive). I'll be picking up an 850 when it does.

It's likely that I just got part of a bad bin, but yeah, after it failed a second time I swapped it out for a Force GT. Have had zero problems since then.

PNY is one of those "you get what you pay for" type of deal. It's a budget SSD, and as such, is going to come with budget problems... but it is an example of a notorious company.

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

PNY drives are known for being problematic. My OCZ agility 3 has given me some problems but hasn't critically failed, yet. and i've had two SanDisk drives outright die on me while still in warranty.

My Agility 3's have been perfect, sure a mobo driver was screwing with the OS making me think it was the drives but once I removed that bad driver the drives have been flawless for 3 years now.

The OCZ ssd problems were one of the reasons they went down. Near the end I think they were getting them from the garbage. You won't be seeing that from ToshibaOCZ I guarantee that. Very unusual for SanDisk. You DID get them replaced I assume. PNY, I don't know. They are definitely second tier and even third tier depending on your ranking. They are what's supposed to be a value player but the first tier players are killing that notion. I wouldn't even consider them as a vendor when you have Crucial and Samsung duking it out and Patriot, Adata, Kingston and Corsair trying to vacuum up the crumbs.

I think OCZ's were not the bad drives (as all have them) but how they managed their company or mis-managed it, you can look up the stories for further details. OCZ basically got SSD's on the map way before Samsung even had a product, you can't be bleeding edge without getting cut a few times.

They must've been. I've got the issues straightened out, for the most part, but i'm just waiting for it to die on me. It's currently running at about 50% of the speed as when it was new, which wasn't all that impressive anyway (that is to say... it's basically running marginally faster than a standard mechanical drive). I'll be picking up an 850 when it does.

It's likely that I just got part of a bad bin, but yeah, after it failed a second time I swapped it out for a Force GT. Have had zero problems since then.

PNY is one of those "you get what you pay for" type of deal. It's a budget SSD, and as such, is going to come with budget problems... but it is an example of a notorious company.

Check for firmware upgrades on the OCZ's, the Agility 3's are pretty rock solid, sure not the same performance for today's SSD's but for its day, it was only in the second tier, best bang for the buck.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I had to flash back to an outdated BIOS for my Agility 3 to function properly. With all the more recent versions, performance is... well... my first computer ever, the Quadra, probably ran faster. Firmware is up to date, other than my BIOS, it was the main issue with proper function.

You can simply tell it's just a dying drive. There's a reason I have my C drive backed up automagically every 12 hours. Money is a bit tight right now (wife is still in school, I work part time, quit my full time to go back to school), so I don't have the luxury of going and throwing $300 at the SSD that i'd like. 

For the price, I can't complain though, Picked it up brand new for $40 (found it on craigslist, guy planned to do a RAID with them , changed his mind, and went with Corsair) it's served it's purpose, and I feel that it's been worth the cost.

I dont know what everyone is blabbering on about reliability but the mx100/m500/m550 have a good track record on reliability.   And they contain a feature which only the high end intels used too have : power safe capcitors. Which prevent data corruption from unexpected power loss. ie: when doing a hard restart.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."

Also needs a new profile picture..

I dont know what everyone is blabbering on about reliability but the mx100/m500/m550 have a good track record on reliability.   And they contain a feature which only the high end intels used too have : power safe capcitors. Which prevent data corruption from unexpected power loss. ie: when doing a hard restart.

They have to somehow justify their overly expensive purchase (*khm* intel 730 *khm*)

They have to somehow justify their overly expensive purchase (*khm* intel 730 *khm*)

Enthusiast ssd that ass i have to say about that. I still question the 240GB 730 though.

Oh and I did some crystal dosc benches of my 256GB 850 pro's i. Raid 0 i should really upload those.

730 series as a whole makes little sense, unless you're ready to throw your money away or you're just a fanboy. There are far better options (850PRO) or much cheaper (MX100). In either case you're better off not buying it. It's really just a money grabbing drive for those, who don't folow market very well. It really has nothing going for it unless a bit better consistency (but then again, if you're after consistency you're looking at the wrong segment anyway).

730 series as a whole makes little sense, unless you're ready to throw your money away or you're just a fanboy. There are far better options (850PRO) or much cheaper (MX100). In either case you're better off not buying it. It's really just a money grabbing drive for those, who don't folow market very well. It really has nothing going for it unless a bit better consistency (but then again, if you're after consistency you're looking at the wrong segment anyway).

I would have gone 730 but for full performance you need the 480 and i run raid 0 so i dont need nor want to pay for all that storage im not goona use. 850 Pro was a perfect fit and the 128 is a great cache drive.

I would have gone 730 but for full performance you need the 480 and i run raid 0 so i dont need nor want to pay for all that storage im not goona use. 850 Pro was a perfect fit and the 128 is a great cache drive.

Its funny how can samsung cap intels 730 writes speeds with only 128GB of capacity (while intel needs a whopping 512GB) :P :P :P

Its funny how can samsung cap intels 730 writes speeds with only 128GB of capacity (while intel needs a whopping 512GB) :P :P :P

Samsung did something special with their 128GB> most companies on the newer controller have sub par performance on the 128 and even the 256. this is due to the number of channels and the density of the chips.

Samsung did something special with their 128GB> most companies on the newer controller have sub par performance on the 128 and even the 256. this is due to the number of channels and the density of the chips.

I am perfectly aware of this. 850pro is using smaller dies (86Gbit i believe) and larger litography.

That still doesn't chage the fact, that intel could have used much better binned flash (more quality better writes) and 64gbit dies. Afterall this is a highend drive.

at the end of the day any ssd will beat a hdd in both speed and reliability