Assassin's Creed Unity reveals new female character, but she's not playable

Dietrichw

Source

After catching a lot of heat for not having any playable female assassins in Assassin's Creed Unity, publisher Ubisoft has revealed a new female character named Elise.

But she's still not a playable character.

Instead, Elise is a wannabe Templar who protagonist Arno must rescue from a beheading for some reason. Evidently the two form some sort of relationship, though it's unclear if it's a romantic or platonic one. You can catch a glimpse of the non-playable, non-assassin character in the new trailer below.

There will even be a spin-off novel written from Elise's point of view. The as of yet unnamed book is being penned by Oliver Bowden, who's sold three million copies of his Assassin's Creed novels, and will be published by Penguin Random House.

Ubisoft is quite keen on this Elise character as the publisher is also releasing a figurine of her. 

The trailer looks okay for CG 

Now that I think about it, wasn't Ubisoft's reason for not having a playable female character (co-op and multiplayer) was that it would take time and money to make all new animations. At the end of the trailer it shows her with a full set up of armor and weapons which means she will be fighting in the game which means she has animations.

Even to be nice to Ubisoft and say that they still need more animations for it to be a playable character they still already have most of the animations already. They also have animations from the PS Vita Assassins Creed game with a playable female character.  

Now we wait for the feminists to completely overreact.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

...so?

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Im sure Anita Sarkeesian will have something to say about this. :(

I don't understand why feminists can't just accept that the game was made with the intention of a male protagonist.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

I don't understand why feminists can't just accept that the game was made with the intention of a male protagonist.

they aren't meaning it as replace Ezio for example with a female(although there are a few who are overkill enough to suggest that). It was more for the co-op aspect of people joining the game and multiplayer

Now we wait for the feminists to completely overreact.

Feminist rage inbound, duck and cover.

firefly_mal-is-speechless.gif

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

I don't think think this will be any good if developers put women in because they have to or feel like they have to.

Feminists have a hard time accepting things like facts, especially when it speaks against them, its like its only facts if they accept that it is.

That was not remotely the problem. It was all about coop. Ubi was asked if there were female coop avatars. Ubi's kind of complete bullshit response caused the PR nightmare for them. Instead of following up the stupidity with an apology or clarification they doubled down on it by using the exact same excuse for Far Cry 4. Diversity in games is a huge topic right now so the question should have been expected and planned for. The sad thing is it would be a very easy to deflect question simply due to how the coop in Unity is done.

That was not remotely the problem. It was all about coop. Ubi was asked if there were female coop avatars. Ubi's kind of complete bullshit response caused the PR nightmare for them. Instead of following up the stupidity with an apology or clarification they doubled down on it by using the exact same excuse for Far Cry 4. Diversity in games is a huge topic right now so the question should have been expected and planned for. The sad thing is it would be a very easy to deflect question simply due to how the coop in Unity is done.

I agree that the way Ubisoft handled the situation made it 10x worse but i don't understand why they were asked if there were female coop avatars in the first place.

It's a video game, who gives a shit.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

I agree that the way Ubisoft handled the situation made it 10x worse but i don't understand why they were asked if there were female coop avatars in the first place.

A lot of people care. Like people who want more diverse representation in games. Also it's a fairly innocent question to ask in an era when a very significant portion of gamers are female. Not to mention look at AC: Liberation, Ubi has already shown the willingness to take a chance (albeit a small one given that it was a Vita title) on a non-traditional main character in the series.

Women do? If given a choice they would rather play the girl character many times. Heck they guys they would very likely play them too. There's also women who'd rather play a guy.

I think what going to be q problem with the feminists is that once again the girl is helpless and the guy has to save her.

I don't understand why they care.

Bill Burr had a thing where he was asked if women could be funny, his answer was "WHO GIVES A SHIT" go out there and prove yourself.

If the person (team) behind AC didn't think women fit in to the story, then they

should be allowed to have that opinion, no one is forcing people to buy the game. Why are video games so different, if you wan't more female characters in video games, make your own fucking video games.

Women do? If given a choice they would rather play the girl character many times. Heck they guys they would very likely play them too. There's also women who'd rather play a guy.

I think what going to be q problem with the feminists is that once again the girl is helpless and the guy has to save her.

A lot of people care. Like people who want more diverse representation in games. Also it's a fairly innocent question to ask in an era when a very significant portion of gamers are female. Not to mention look at AC: Liberation, Ubi has already shown the willingness to take a chance (albeit a small one given that it was a Vita title) on a non-traditional main character in the series.

Squidward_who_cares.jpg

(not directed at op btw, I'm referring to the feminist geniuses who think this is important)

This is getting out of hand. It's a game about assassins, it's completely understandable that the main characters are men. In general if the game involves a lot of violence, athletic feats and brutality it's perfectly normal that the protagonist is a man. In role playing games where physical strength is a relatively minor factor we had female characters for decades at this point.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's because people always want to overdo things. We want to have women at the same level as men in society, I absolutely agree. But feminists don't want that, they want women to be on a HIGHER level. It's like complaining that the protagonist isn't black: what, now we can't have white protagonists? What if the protagonist was black and I complained he wasn't white? But no, since the stereotype is that men want women confined and white people are racist towards black people, if the protagonist isn't black or female it's automatically discrimination.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Bill Burr had a thing where he was asked if women could be funny, his answer was "WHO GIVES A SHIT" go out there and prove yourself.

If the person (team) behind AC didn't think women fit in to the story, then they

should be allowed to have that opinion, no one is forcing people to buy the game. Why are video games so different, if you wan't more female characters in video games, make your own fucking video games.

Overreacting a bit much? No one is trying to force them to do anything (well no one with sane arguments at least). It was an innocent question asked and turned into a PR nightmare by a horrible answer. Like everything involving the internet it exploded and the whole went a bit crazy. That said what is wrong with people voicing that they would like to see more diversity in games? Why is that such a bad thing? Why are you raging so hard at the mere thought of more diverse options?

Overreacting a bit much? No one is trying to force them to do anything (well no one with sane arguments at least). It was an innocent question asked and turned into a PR nightmare by a horrible answer. Like everything involving the internet it exploded and the whole went a bit crazy. That said what is wrong with people voicing that they would like to see more diversity in games? Why is that such a bad thing? Why are you raging so hard at the mere thought of more diverse options?

I'm not.

A VERY vocal minority are trying to force them.

I literally do not give a shit if the avatars in video games are men/women/bears/or pigs and i don't understand why other people want's it get it changed. (Or atleast why it's as important to them as it seems to be)

Then they should have given stupid excuses and later caved and the In my opinion done it improperly.

It's because people always want to overdo things. We want to have women at the same level as men in society, I absolutely agree. But feminists don't want that, they want women to be on a HIGHER level. It's like complaining that the protagonist isn't black: what, now we can't have white protagonists? What if the protagonist was black and I complained he wasn't white? But no, since the stereotype is that men want women confined and white people are racist towards black people, if the protagonist isn't black or female it's automatically discrimination.

I don't agree with you in the least bit and think your going extremely overboard

I'm not.

I literally do not give a shit if the avatars in video games are men/women/bears/or pigs and i don't understand why other people want's it get it changed. (Or atleast why it's as important to them as it seems to be)

That how everything is for the past couple years due to the internet changeing things.

Its not just the avatar and whether you play them but also how the story and how they play a role.

I'm not.

As with every group those at the extremes do not represent the majority of people talking about the issue. Rational people don't want to force developers to make games that cater just to various minorities, but to open their eyes and let them see that there is a very diverse group of people playing games now. Beyond that there is a conversation worth having on whether or not more diverse representation in games can help grow the industry and if big games can still sell well doing that.

I don't agree with you in the least bit and think your going extremely overboard

It's true though. When you hear about someone being racist with no information whatsoever about this person, the first thing that comes to mind is that this person is white. When people say "moar black characters" and black characters get inserted in a story that was already finished for no reason other than to be "politically correct" it's not helping the cause, it's just a way to annoy people and partially damage the storyline (if you have a finished story adding a character that makes sense is not easy). Same goes with women: when you hear someone is sexist, you think about a man. Forcibly added female characters are also not helping.

I'm all for gender parity and "racial" (if you can call them "races") parity, but when people complain that a certain character is not black or female when he's a white man because it's just the way he was conceived by the writer it just annoys the hell out of me.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

@Sauron please see what @Derangel said right above your post. It covers what I would have said quite well.