setting up 1st Gigabit network

Wackojacko

Hello everyone,

i want to set up a new network, this will be the first time that i do this myself.

the situation as it is now:

i live in a house with 2 other people, but i have set my own network in  my own room with my own router that i got from my dad when i moved out. it has my own password and everything(as i said very new to this haha)

i want to set up a gigabit network, all my devices support it, and i game all the time online and all, and i just see it going like "uuhh no, im not quite ready yet, keep waiting" which bugs me haha

plus im a speed freak, anyway to the point

modem and everything is downstairs, have my own internet connection thing in my wall where my router is now. i mainly use LAN for my devices except smartphone.

i was looking into the Linksys EA6300 because it is on sale here(The Netherlands) and it has gigabit, for the rest i dont really know what everything is.

anyway mainly using LAN need speed, so that's why i looked into that one.

do i need new cables if i get this? cables that support gigabit?

are there any other things i missed maybe? remember im new to this stuff, but interested lol

Update: i forgot one big thing in my hurry, which i now 5 minutes later found out like o i should mention that too.

and that is, my download and uploading is high, for work, hobby and family, i transfer things between them big packages and a lot of packages, with services like dropbox for instance.

that is a big part of all my work that i most of the time do like that. that is slow aswell, and when im downloading something or uploading, with this internet there isn't any much more i can do at the same time.

all the help would be very appreciated,

Thanks!

Just 3 devices? Internet capacity less than 1gbps? Get a gigabit switch and plug your deivces into it using CAT6 or CAT5e cabling. Then plug the switch into your router.

Just 3 devices? Internet capacity less than 1gbps? Get a gigabit switch and plug your deivces into it using CAT6 or CAT5e cabling. Then plug the switch into your router.

yes i use 3 devices, gigabit switch? doesnt the router have to be able to handle that or something?

can you recommend a particular brand?

so i can buy a switch? plug everything in and that should do it?

Okay correct me if I didn't understand right.

There are 3 people living in the house and sharing one connection. A network cable is going to your room from the modem, where you then plugged in your router so you can install a separate network. So far so good?

In this situation it is pretty easy. Just plug in a network cable type: Cat5e or Cat6 into the wall and into the WAN port on your router. 

Setup the router how you like it and connect all the other devices with network cables type: Cat5e or Cat6

The last part of your post I didn't quite get. So you are using drop box a lot.. and the download and upload is slow. What speed is your internet connection (downstairs) ?

XEON 1230 v2 / AMD R9 280x / 8GB DDR3 / Adata XPG SX900 256GB SSD / Corsair 300R Side Window / Corsair CX500M / Corsair M65 Green

yes i use 3 devices, gigabit switch? doesnt the router have to be able to handle that or something?

can you recommend a particular brand?

so i can buy a switch? plug everything in and that should do it?

If the router has Gigabit ports and at least 4 of them then yes. It can handle it. Otherwise have a look at something like the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND V2

XEON 1230 v2 / AMD R9 280x / 8GB DDR3 / Adata XPG SX900 256GB SSD / Corsair 300R Side Window / Corsair CX500M / Corsair M65 Green

If the router has Gigabit ports and at least 4 of them then yes. It can handle it. Otherwise have a look at something like the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND V2

haha that's the whole thing, the router does not have gigabit ports, that's what i am trying to change, and yes and no, we are not sharing a connection, different network.

if they do heavy things, i don't notice it. my router now does not support gigabit, that's why i thought i need a new router instead of switch, my network connection downstairs does support gigabit, checked all this already, it is my router that is not able to do it.

and yes, because my router is old and outdated, when im downloading or uploading, it gets very very slow, impossible to do something else. 

iit is my router that does not support gigabit, that's why i said about a new router, ive been to the shop today asked it there, because was planning to buy a switch then and there, decided to ask it, and that man said that the router does have to support it, which it does not. so i need new router then?

What part of your network are you trying to speed up? Just LAN traffic? Or your internet connection? Because a Gigabit switch *will* let your LAN traffic run at Gigabit speeds but it won't help WiFi traffic or WAN traffic in the slightest. You don't need a "Gigabit router" to drop a Gigabit switch onto your network. If your router doesn't support Gigabit and you put a Gigabit switch on your setup it'll just mean that traffic to your router will run at 100Mbps while traffic between your machines will be 1Gbps.

To make things clearer, for my setup as shown (it's changed a bit since then but oh well):

gallery_20033_1574_6974.png

I can get speeds above 100Mbps between that first PC and my NAS. Or I can run a backup to my NAS from one machine while streaming a video somewhere else without interference. The right half of that image is all Gigabit capable at least on the switch side. On the left where the modem/router is that's also Gigabit, however it could be 100Mbps without it making any difference (other than slightly OCD me going "THERE'S A YELLOW LIGHT ON THE SWITCH!"). It doesn't really matter because I don't have 'nets >100Mbps. If it wasn't Gigabit I'd still get the performance benefits out of having Gigabit between my devices. Make sense?

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

What part of your network are you trying to speed up? Just LAN traffic? Or your internet connection? Because a Gigabit switch *will* let your LAN traffic run at Gigabit speeds but it won't help WiFi traffic or WAN traffic in the slightest. You don't need a "Gigabit router" to drop a Gigabit switch onto your network. If your router doesn't support Gigabit and you put a Gigabit switch on your setup it'll just mean that traffic to your router will run at 100Mbps while traffic between your machines will be 1Gbps.

To make things clearer, for my setup as shown (it's changed a bit since then but oh well):

I can get speeds above 100Mbps between that first PC and my NAS. Or I can run a backup to my NAS from one machine while streaming a video somewhere else without interference. The right half of that image is all Gigabit capable at least on the switch side. On the left where the modem/router is that's also Gigabit, however it could be 100Mbps without it making any difference (other than slightly OCD me going "THERE'S A YELLOW LIGHT ON THE SWITCH!"). It doesn't really matter because I don't have 'nets >100Mbps. If it wasn't Gigabit I'd still get the performance benefits out of having Gigabit between my devices. Make sense?

makes sense, and this is what they said at the store aswell, he said aswell if you do it over LAN then it will be fine, but is it for your internet connection then you need a router that supports it, thats what he said over there, and that is the reason i did not buy a switch then and there. because this router is quite old, and i didn't know if that would work, which made me think, like if i buy a router thats 1gb and not a switch, that would do it right? because my like network and all is good, and it will do gigabit, so i'm thinking its my personal router that is the problem, which is why i thought like i have to get another one. i want it for my internet connection, not like LAN

Hi skyware your diagram seems helpful but I don't think I'm understanding the concept. In order to setup a gigabit network don't you need to have gigabit Internet coming in to your home? For instance if my ISP is offering a 30mbps Internet speed that is the maximum speed I can go and the more devices I connect whether wired or wireless will use a portion of those 30mbps. I though the switch was just to provide additional ethernet or wired locations, does the switch actually amplify or increase the speed that your ISP supplies to your home? I'm so confused I only thought gigabit Internet was obtainable via fiber optics networks as some fiber optics providers are supplying hones with 500mbps upload and download speeds as well as 1000mbps package which were the first gigabit networks. But I didn't think you could set that type of network up without having an Internet service provider offer a 1000mbps Internet package?

* Maybe it's better I ask the question this way: I have a gigabit modem from motorola and a ea6500 linksys gigabit wireless router. My ISP package I have is 30mbps how would I set up a gigabit network? And what would be the benefit I have about 10 devices I play xbox one online and work from home using a vpn connection.

Hi skyware your diagram seems helpful but I don't think I'm understanding the concept. In order to setup a gigabit network don't you need to have gigabit Internet coming in to your home?

You can do more on a home network than just use the internet. I don't need Gigabit internets to enjoy these conveniences between my own devices because it's between my own devices. When I copy a file to my NAS it's going through my switch and to my NAS more-or-less as fast as it would have if I had an external HDD plugged into my computer. When I play a HD video on my TV it'll buffer it at 100Mbps or so for a tiny fraction of a second before playing. I can also download a video, copy it to my NAS, walk over to my TV and press play with basically no waiting for anything. Or if I want to share a file with someone I'll copy it to the NAS and just say "it's on the NAS", done! Overkill? Yeah, probably. But it wasn't that expensive and compared to WiFi it's pretty hassle free. It just works, always, at a high speed regardless of what else is happening on the network.

But despite all that no, my internet is still as fast/slow as it was before. But that's not the point, I do more on my network than just use the internet.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

You can do more on a home network than just use the internet. I don't need Gigabit internets to enjoy these conveniences between my own devices because it's between my own devices. When I copy a file to my NAS it's going through my switch and to my NAS more-or-less as fast as it would have if I had an external HDD plugged into my computer. When I play a HD video on my TV it'll buffer it at 100Mbps or so for a tiny fraction of a second before playing. I can also download a video, copy it to my NAS, walk over to my TV and press play with basically no waiting for anything. Or if I want to share a file with someone I'll copy it to the NAS and just say "it's on the NAS", done! Overkill? Yeah, probably. But it wasn't that expensive and compared to WiFi it's pretty hassle free. It just works, always, at a high speed regardless of what else is happening on the network.

But despite all that no, my internet is still as fast/slow as it was before. But that's not the point, I do more on my network than just use the internet.

I see then it is more of faster speeds within a controlled network. In my case I'm trying to pull information faster from the internet. So the gigabit network you are referring to is not the same as gigabit Internet speeds that Google Fiber is talking about.