AMD or Intel for my rig?

Go to solution Solved by ButCanItBacon,

Welcome to the forum.

Both cpus are a great choice and would serve you well. Personally I would opt to the intel side due to the improvements intel made with the devils canyon series, Another reason to opt for the intel side is you are choosing a z97 motherboard. This mean you will have broadwell support, intels upcoming series of micro processors, and it will extend the longevity of your system. 

On the other hand if the goal of you system is performance at a budget then you should opt for the AMD side. They generally have a great price to performance ratio.

With these things in mind I hope you have fun building your system and continue to ask us questions :)

The intel board also looks cooler : )

okay, thank you everyone for the advice, i really appreciate it :)

Hi, what cpu and motherboard should I have for my setup?

Choice 1:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Codename "Devil's Canyon"  (http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i5-4690K-Processor-BX80646I54690K/dp/B00KPRWB9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406651029&sr=8-1&keywords=4690K)

Motherboard: Asus Z97-K/CSM (http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-DDR3-Motherboards-Z97-K-CSM/dp/B00K2R6E60/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406651104&sr=8-1&keywords=z97-k)

Choice 2:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition (http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FD8350FRHKBOX-FX-8350-FX-Series-Edition/dp/B009O7YUF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406651188&sr=8-1&keywords=8350)

Motherboard: Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer (http://www.amazon.com/ASRock-Fatal1ty-990FX-Killer-Motherboard/dp/B00HUWJVLA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406651253&sr=8-1&keywords=asrock+killer)

I want to try out Intel because I do need some of the extra horse power and features for gaming and content creating over the 8350 chip.

My Current Setup:

CPU: AMD FX 4350 @ 4.2GHz (Upgrading to 4690K or 8350)

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P (Upgrading to 990FX Killer or Z97-K/CSM)

GPU: Gainward GeForce GTX 760 Phantom Factory Overclocked

Storage: 1x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD + 1x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive

PSU: Corsair AX 860i

Fans: 3x Corsair AF140MM LED fans

Case: Corsair Graphite 760T 

Thanks.

CPU+Cooler: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.5GHz + Corsair H105 (Getting custom loop soon)  GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC  RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB  Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero  PSU: Corsair AX860i  Case: Corsair Graphite 760T Black

if you are gaming and rendering, get the intel setup. for pure multitasking computer, get the amd.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

If you want to go for the 8350 dont go for any ASrock motherboard :P

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

AMtel.

if you are gaming and rendering, get the intel setup. for pure multitasking computer, get the amd.

Okay, I don't do much multitasking at all. I'm getting abit fed up with AMD anyway so it would be nice to switch to Intel. Thanks for the advice!

CPU+Cooler: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.5GHz + Corsair H105 (Getting custom loop soon)  GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC  RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB  Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero  PSU: Corsair AX860i  Case: Corsair Graphite 760T Black

Okay, I don't do much multitasking at all. I'm getting abit fed up with AMD anyway so it would be nice to switch to Intel. Thanks for the advice!

enjoy the superior IPC and possibly framerates ;)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

The i5 will perform better in 99% of usage scenarios. Go with intel this time :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Unless you are getting that PSU at a good discount or planning to do SLI in the future you have chosen some serious overkill. a 500-550W PSU is more than enough for that setup and covers OC'ing as well. As opposed to the GTX 760 I would go with an R9 280X instead if you can get it around the same price.

As for processor I would suggest intel because Intel is simply better at the moment unless you do some serious multitasking. Also the Z97 motherboard gives an option to expand into broadwell if you do a Bios update. (Same thing done with Z87 updating for Haswell-R)

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

enjoy the superior IPC and possibly framerates ;)

The i5 will perform better in 99% of usage scenarios. Go with intel this time :)

Hehe, thanks guys :D

Welcome to the forum.

Both cpus are a great choice and would serve you well. Personally I would opt to the intel side due to the improvements intel made with the devils canyon series, Another reason to opt for the intel side is you are choosing a z97 motherboard. This mean you will have broadwell support, intels upcoming series of micro processors, and it will extend the longevity of your system. 

On the other hand if the goal of you system is performance at a budget then you should opt for the AMD side. They generally have a great price to performance ratio.

With these things in mind I hope you have fun building your system and continue to ask us questions :) 

Welcome to the forum.

okay, thank you everyone for the advice, i really appreciate it :)

Hehe, thanks guys :D

Ya welcom :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020