Which PSU?

denestmor3

Hi there,

I am building a system and I don't know  which psu to choose. And if it matters if you have a 1000 W psu and the system only draws 400 W?

This are the system specs for now:

• i7-4790K
  • Asus Z97-DELUXE
  • Corsair Dominator Platinum 8 Gb * 4
  • GTX 780 Ti Black *2 
  • Samsung 840 pro  *2
  • WD caviar black * 4

I am looking for a psu that has enough power to deliver and is 80 plus gold. What would be the best one?

Why are you building this system? What is it for?

Are you doing professional video editing, 3d modelling, or rendering?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Why are you building this system? What is it for?

Are you doing professional video editing, 3d modelling, or rendering?

Video editing and rendering at a professional level.

Video editing and rendering at a professional level.

Ok

When you say 780ti black do you mean the titan black or the 780ti? Cause there isnt a combination of both.

A high quality PSU would be recommended. Something from corsair, seasonic, silverstone, or something of the like.

850W will be enough but getting a 1kW PSU would be better for future upgrades.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I mean a 780 Ti. Oops.

A 850W will be adequate to power this system as a full system on load takes around 500w with an overclocked i7 3960X CPU and gpu at full load. I would recommend the XFX P1-850B-BEFX 850W, Cooler Master V850, or the Seasonic X-850.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gtx_780_ti_sli_geforce_review,4.html

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

A 850W will be adequate to power this system as a full system on load takes around 500w with an overclocked i7 3960X CPU and gpu at full load. I would recommend the XFX P1-850B-BEFX 850W, Cooler Master V850, or the Seasonic X-850.

I'd add the EVGA G2 850W (not the NEX) to that list

Calculated card TDP does not equal full system power consumption.

the ~620W load for the system is under GPU stress, possibly not CPU stress. The CPU is overclocked, but the GPUs aren't.

I'd add the EVGA G2 850W (not the NEX) to that list

There are no EVGA 850W NEX (FSP-made) power supplies.