Crosshair V Formula-Z 290X Crossfire - Overheating & weak performance!

Heya,

So I bought an another powercolour 290X LCS from ebay to my system to go crossfire. After installation, when I monitored the the temperatues I was shocked: Idle temp of the top card, which is the old one that I had already, was 60C and when trying to watch videos with browser, the temps climb VERY quickly to 90C and beyond until the computer shutsdown itself. I carefully tried to do little gaming and the FPS there was only like 30-40, when before with just one card it was about 70-90.

Im running watercooling system with 120 radiator, 240 radiator and one 200 radiator. Im using EKWB's triple parallalel terminal with the middle slot closed with blank connector, so theres 3 PCI-E slots between them in witch one of them I have soundblaster fatal1ty champion soundcard. Pump is aquastream ultra and it seems to have enough power for good flow. The another lower GPU and CPU seems to have pretty normal temps.

Crosshair V formula Z

AMD FX-9590 @ 4,7GHz

G.Skill Ripjaws @ 2133Mhz

CPU bottleneck.

Upgrade to an I7-4790K and a GA Z97X UD3H, you'll be much happier (also temp. wise).

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Can the bottlenecking cpu really have this kind of effects? I have also read some threads that people with this CPU or less powerful have got 290X on crossfire working.

Can the bottlenecking cpu really have this kind of effects? I have also read some threads that people with this CPU or less powerful have got 290X on crossfire working.

Yes, CPU bottleneck. Sry to break it to you but you have to switch to intel if you want to take advantage of both 290X's.

Heya,

So I bought an another powercolour 290X LCS from ebay to my system to go crossfire. After installation, when I monitored the the temperatues I was shocked: Idle temp of the top card, which is the old one that I had already, was 60C and when trying to watch videos with browser, the temps climb VERY quickly to 90C and beyond until the computer shutsdown itself. I carefully tried to do little gaming and the FPS there was only like 30-40, when before with just one card it was about 70-90.

Might be a half-wrecked miner card.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

dont listen to him lol there's no way a 9590 can bottleneck anything xD 

have you tried re-applying the waterblock? 

CPU bottleneck.

Upgrade to an I7-4790K and a GA Z97X UD3H, you'll be much happier (also temp. wise).

Nope, not a bottleneck, probably got a defective card.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

I havent tried  re-applying waterblock since, before the adding of the another card temps at this 290X were normal. (The overheating card is the top one and its not the "new one" from Ebay).

Nope, not a bottleneck, probably got a defective card.

U stupid or somethin'? Ofc 2 x 290Xs will be bottleneck.

He also MAY have a miner card (defective card).

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

U stupid or somethin'? Ofc 2 x 290Xs will be bottleneck.

He also MAY have a miner card (defective card).

U wot m8? Your being real rude right now pal, It'll only bottleneck slightly, not at all to the point where he loses 50fps when adding a second card.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

U wot m8? Your being real rude right now pal, It'll only bottleneck slightly, not at all to the point where he loses 50fps when adding a second card.

I've tested it myself with 2x 290s (and a 8350 @ 4.5). I was getting 45 - 60% usage on each card.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Hello again,

I did some notions: I put the display cable to the bottom card and I get picture but now this cards runs hot as hell too. As I touched the radiators I noticed they didnt even feel warm. And the CPU stays pretty much at normal temps so this led me to conclusion that the water flow could be somehow poor at for the cards. I now got the picture attached where you could take a look if the FC terminal is installed wrongly. I cant say, I think the picture says it should do its job the way I have put it but please take a look, or if have some better knowledge please share :D

post-109370-0-60847800-1406653791_thumb.

Hello again guies,

So the EKWB told me that I had installed the inlet tube on terminal wrongly, now when I put this to top left port the water goes trough the GPU Blocks and not straight trough the terminal :D Cooling works pretty good, the idle temps are kinda high (about 40C-50C), this is partly due the hot envrioment temps. At load seems to be like 60C-65C. I played Battlefield 4 and now I got a pretty nice performance increase: all setting maxed out, both in AMD CCC and in BF4 with 120 resolution scale, I get like 100-130FPS on mantle, when with just one GPU I had like 60-80. Im pretty satisfied at this point :D

Thanks to alot everyone who has had the intrest to follow this thread and helped me here! :D