Hey guys, ill pick an i5 4690k soon with a new motherboard case and cpu cooler. I plan to overclock it to 4.4+ GHZ, and I was wondering if the jump from my athlon 5600+ 64 dual core @2.8 ghz will be worth the money... I know that cpus arent that important in gaming anymore BUT I also want to get an r9 290 or a new gen gpu once they roll out and.
Im wondering more for games like:
Cod
counter strike
Crysis series
battlefield series
bioshock
far cry and assasins creed
thank you :)

Hey guys, ill pick an i5 4690k soon with a new motherboard case and cpu cooler. I plan to overclock it to 4.4+ GHZ, and I was wondering if the jump from my athlon 5600+ 64 dual core @2.8 ghz will be worth the money... I know that cpus arent that important in gaming anymore BUT I also want to get an r9 290 or a new gen gpu once they roll out and.

Im wondering more for games like:

Cod

counter strike

Crysis series

battlefield series

bioshock

far cry and assasins creed

thank you :)

Of course.It will be a huge upgrade..

it will be life changing.

life will seem like a shitty game with Low fps.

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

it will be life changing.

life will seem like a shitty game with Low fps.

LOL :P

I suggest grabbing the GPU first and then upgrade your CPU if you can afford it.

EDIT: that is if you plan to buy one or the other first. If you plan to upgrade everything at the same time then just go for it man.

GUYS just to clarify: the performance increase without the r9 290 into account, will it be significant?

GUYS just to clarify: the performance increase without the r9 290 into account, will it be significant?

depends on what GPU you're running atm.

you'l see the biggest performance boost by changing your GPU. I doubt you'l see any performance increase by changing just your mobo and your CPU.

a radeon 6670

this is ubber low-end by todays standard...you just bought a ferrari with a scooter engine in it...the performance boost in games will come ONLY when you will buy a faster GPU, until then you are still looking at games running at 20FPS on low settings...sorry!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

this is ubber low-end by todays standard...you just bought a ferrari with a scooter engine in it...the performance boost in games will come ONLY when you will buy a faster GPU, until then you are still looking at games running at 20FPS on low settings...sorry!

i know,but with the i5 and untill i pick up a new GPU it will serve my way better than with my athlon

i know,but with the i5 and untill i pick up a new GPU it will serve my way better than with my athlon

your athlon was not bottlenecking such a weak gpu, so you will not see any performance improvements by just swapping the CPU...in windows and other applications it will be faster, but for games your gains will total to about exactly zero FPS.

To give you an idea, i had to go back to 2012 GPU bench from anandtech, but this is the HD6670 against the HD7970 (wich is basicaly a R9 280X, even a little slower in fact)

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/613?vs=508

Upgrading the HD6670 to a radeon R9 290 would be a MASSIVE upgrade in performance...the R9 290 even being a somewhat worthy upgrade to the R9 280X in itself:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1041?vs=1068

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Well I agree with nano, your current cpu doesn't bottleneck your gpu at all so an i5 won't make any difference. If you'd buy now a 290, the difference will be extremely small until you upgrade your CPU. Maybe give us a budget you currently have? 

CPU Change = Slight Performance Increase

GPU Change = Major Performance Increase 

I had this question back in Ivy Bridge Days .. Decided to replace my old nVidia 580 with a pair of 7970s (called R9 280x today) ... Never felt the need to change CPU after that .. Although my motherboard is Gen 2.0 PCIe .. Still it made hell of a difference .. 

Bottomline: I agree with many here .. change GPU first .. then judge if you need a CPU change .. 

Rig1LianLi O11 Dynamic Evo | Asus Crosshair VIII Formula | Ryzen 9 5950x  | 2TB Gen 4 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 49" 5120x1440 

Rig2: TT Tower 200 | Asus X670e-i | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | 2TB Gen 5 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 57" 7680x2160  | Oculus Quest Pro

Bottomline: I agree with many here .. change GPU first .. then judge if you need a CPU change ..

He defenetly needs to change both as the old athlon he's using really is no match for any current modern gpu's...there's no denying that! And as i mentionned if he change only the CPU he will not get any better framerates because the GPU is way too slow as well...so i think he's looking at a full system rebuild most likely the PSU on this is too weak as well and so on...

He defenetly needs to change both as the old athlon he's using really is no match for any current modern gpu's...there's no denying that! And as i mentionned if he change only the CPU he will not get any better framerates because the GPU is way too slow as well...so i think he's looking at a full system rebuild most likely the PSU on this is too weak as well and so on...

Changing both is not wrong .. what I meant that if budget allows only one change, then priority should be for GPU .. Otherwise, if he can afford both, then be it :) 

Rig1LianLi O11 Dynamic Evo | Asus Crosshair VIII Formula | Ryzen 9 5950x  | 2TB Gen 4 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 49" 5120x1440 

Rig2: TT Tower 200 | Asus X670e-i | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | 2TB Gen 5 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 57" 7680x2160  | Oculus Quest Pro

It will be a huge difference.

When you get the R9 290, then you will really see the performance boost.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

the psu is a cx 500M actually, but ill have to change it when i get the r9 290

for the rest of you asking for an exact budget,it hasnt really been clarifield yet but my system upgrade will be something along the following image:

its a greek store so ignore that

post-83067-0-33212000-1406667267_thumb.p

the psu is a cx 500M actually, but ill have to change it when i get the r9 290

for the rest of you asking for an exact budget,it hasnt really been clarifield yet but my system upgrade will be something along the following image:

its a greek store so ignore that

the cx500m is good enough to run a 4690k along with an r9 290 both overclocked..no need to upgrade that imho...

so you are basicaly building an whole new system...

the cx500m is good enough to run a 4690k along with an r9 290 both overclocked..no need to upgrade that imho...

so you are basicaly building an whole new system...

yeah,but slowly...

the cx 500M I dont know if it can run it properly without making a shit ton of noise, I bet however a CS 650M would

I upgraded from a an Athlon x2 6400+ to a 3570k. the difference was/is insane. however, I have an r9 290, and under full load while gaming I see anywhere from 300-500 watts being pulled from the wall, which means a 500watt power supply might be on the edge. I would recommend 650watt to be safe.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR