No internet connection

1NSANET1ME

Hi guys!

A few days ago I've got an old PC to reinstall and solve a connection issue. It's an old P4 machine with Windows XP SP1 and the onboard LAN is broken so for the internet I've purchased for them a PCI LAN card and here's the problem, the Internet works under Ubuntu without any problems but if I put XP on it it just won't. It gets power, the drivers are OK, it even gets IP from the modem so there is a connection between them. The only suspicious thing is that if I check the packets there are no incoming packets, just outgoing. I've tried to disable the onboard LAN in BIOS but it didn't helped at all. I've tried the WinSock fix without a success. Does anyone have an idea what can cause this problem under XP?

Thanks!

Have you tried rebooting your modem/router to rule it out?

Do you have the latest drivers for the card? If its a driver issue, try to rollback to the version before the one that you are using...

Have you tried rebooting your modem/router to rule it out?

Do you have the latest drivers for the card? If its a driver issue, try to rollback to the version before the one that you are using...

Yep, these things were the first :S 

Yep, these things were the first :S 

There might be something in XP that causes this... Hace you tried disabling the onboard lan via the device manager? Also (at your own risk), try disabling the firewall and any antivirus software that is running in the background... I fixed a windows 7 netbook with a borked Norton install once using this method...

There might be something in XP that causes this... Hace you tried disabling the onboard lan via the device manager? Also (at your own risk), try disabling the firewall and any antivirus software that is running in the background... I fixed a windows 7 netbook with a borked Norton install once using this method...

Yep, I've tried all those that's why I wrote here because I have no idea what can cause this in XP. If I have to I'll put Ubuntu on it again and call it a day or maybe I'll try to DL from somewhere the SP3 for XP and see if that helps or not.

@1NSANET1ME

I think it's a broken service within windows itself... The OS might treat it as non-critical which is why it doesn't blue screen... (but this is just my opinion) Worst case would dictate a reinstall of windows itself...

Is the IP address actually a 169.254.x.x address?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Norton is always a problem... first thing I always do for anyone running it, is ask if they're ok with me putting something better on, and if they reply yes, I burn it in a fire, and replace it with the Avast!/Malwarebytes combo.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Is the IP address actually a 169.254.x.x address?

Yep, the machine gets a real IP address and it recognizes the subnet mask and everything seems fine if I check it from the cmd with ipconfig, it just doesn't receive packets... it's very strange + I didn't installed any AV or FW yet so that isn't the cause either.