Hello,

Greetings,

The title says it all.

Which one is better at gaming and gaming ONLY?

And how will the amd one perform after some OC?

Thank you.

i5.

It would take an overclock on the 6300 just to touch the i5 at stock.

We need to know which games you plan to play, and if possible, get an unlocked Intel processor.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

which games?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Hello,

Greetings,

The title says it all.

And how will the amd one perform after some OC?

Thank you.

Any reason you are looking only at those specific processors?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

i5.

We need to know which games you plan to play, and if possible, get an unlocked Intel processor.

What if i OC that crazy?

What if i OC that crazy?

I'm guessing you mean OC the 6300 crazy?  In order to do so, you would need a very expensive motherboard with excellent power phase design, at that point if you are spending that much money, you can get a much better Intel processor for the same price.  No matter how high you overclock an FX processor, its single core performance will never match an Intel's.  Single core performance is still incredibly important for a lot of games.

What is your budget?  What kind of games do you play?  Are you doing a complete system build?  Are you upgrading?  What components do you already have? 

We need more information to properly assist you.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

i5.

thats not at all true at least look at benchmarks

6300 destroys it

I'm guessing you mean OC the 6300 crazy?  In order to do so, you would need a very expensive motherboard with excellent power phase design, at that point if you are spending that much money, you can get a much better Intel processor for the same price.  No matter how high you overclock an FX processor, its single core performance will never match an Intel's.  Single core performance is still incredibly important for a lot of games.

What is your budget?  What kind of games do you play?  Are you doing a complete system build?  Are you upgrading?  What components do you already have? 

We need more information to properly assist you.

i5 2300 has stronger single thread yea, but when you oc there will be barelly any difference and 6300 wins for multitread

for overclock to ~4.5ghz you dont need to spend over 80$ on mobo

6300 destroys it

i5 2300 has stronger single thread yea, but when you oc there will be barelly any difference and 6300 wins for multitread

I can't, I won't.

OP said this:

Multi threaded cinebench benchmarks are basically irrelevant to the OPs needs.

Check the single threaded part of the database and you'll see a 5.3GHz 8350 getting beat by a core 2 duo.

My piledriver quad at 4.9 will still be beat by a 2.8ghz sandy in that test also.

I have an msi 97a g43,will this do?

if you allready have it, this is brainless decision

you dont have vrm heatsink tho, so no crazy overclocking and voltage :)

id say bring it on 4.2 and leave it there, same as 6350 turbo

6300 destroys it

Do you realize we are on Haswell now?  Even the i5 3570k would be a more fair comparison with a Vishera processor.  That's like saying, "My old Pentium Dual Core could smoke that Athlon XP.  Duh."

"We will never make a 32-bit operating system." -- Bill Gates, 1989

I have a cooler master 6 heat pipe cooler with 3 fans,i know this sucks but i think i can bump it up to 4.5 on this.

Do you realize we are on Haswell now?  Even the i5 3570k would be a more fair comparison with a Vishera processor.  That's like saying, "My old Pentium Dual Core could smoke that Athlon XP.  Duh."

irellevant, and we are on haswell refresh now :P

we are talking about i5 2300. yes,single thread is better, but multithread Fx-6300 @ 3.9 is better even than haswell i5 4430 @ 3ghz

go figure

Could run a 6300 stock no over clocking. Do you already have an i5 2300 as it seems an awfully odd processor to buy randomly.

Yes i do have the i5

I have a cooler master 6 heat pipe cooler with 3 fans,i know this sucks but i think i can bump it up to 4.5 on this.

you can yes, but you have no vrm heatsinks. if you get them, then yes. 

dont get crazy on voltage!

I already bought it

You play LOTRO, which is an MMO.  The Intel will perform much, much better in this game.

There's no real point in investing on the fx6300 or even the 8320 or 8350 for gaming. If your very low on budget then yes, take the 6300 instead of an i3. But if you can afford an i5 then stick with an i5.

Instead of spending on an expensive motherboard, CPU cooler, only, to reach i5 standards or lower doesnt make much sense and the heat+added power consumption is another disadvantage.