Laptop for school

notkip

i'm in need of a laptop for school. it doesn't need to be particularly powerful or able to run games well, iv got a desktop for that. what i need is:

battery life, i don't want to be tied to an outlet

style, it has to be pretty (or at least not ugly)

usb 3.0, at least 1 port but 2 is better

prefered 1920x1080, i'm not a big fan of the 1366x768 resolution 

portable, i don't want it to be the thickness of a brick and no screens over 15.6" (13 is good too, 11 is a little small but might be doable)

ssd preferred (at least 120 gig), but i'm willing to put my own in.

if there's no ssd 1tb hard drive is preferred so i can put it in my system and run it in raid 0 with another drive i have

ac wireless preferred but i'm willing to upgrade it

keep it under $1000 (CAD), keep in mind i'm in Canada so and i'd prefer to order from within the country

any input is appreciated

You can hate me for saying this. But the macbook air is pretty decent. The only thing that might be an issue is the screen.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

You can hate me for saying this. But the macbook air is pretty decent. The only thing that might be an issue is the screen.

i never actually considered a mac, its an interesting idea but i doubt i'd get it. thanks for the input though

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_369&item_id=61957V

Seems to fit, it has 1080p, and a 128GB SSD  but doesn't mention a HDD or expandable storage so that could be a deal breaker.

I'll keep looking.

Desktop-CPU: i7 4790k   GPU: ASUS GTX 970   MOBO: Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 mATX   RAM: 16GB 1600MHz Cucial Ballistix   Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB & 840 128GB + 3X WD Blue 1TB   Cooling: Corsair H105   Case: Fractal Design Node 804

Peripherals- Keyboard: Leopold FC660M   Mouse: Logitech G502   Headphones: ATH M50s   Mic: Blue Snowball  Monitors: Dell UP2414Q 4K  Laptop: Dell Inspiron 13 256GB SSD  Other: Moto X, Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Player

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_369&item_id=61957V

Seems to fit, it has 1080p, and a 128GB SSD  but doesn't mention a HDD or expandable storage so that could be a deal breaker.

I'll keep looking.

looks interesting and as for storage, it doesn't need much all i need is an ssd i was saying if it doesn't have one id prefer a 1tb hdd so i could replace it with and ssd and use the hdd elsewhere

looks interesting and as for storage, it doesn't need much all i need is an ssd i was saying if it doesn't have one id prefer a 1tb hdd so i could replace it with and ssd and use the hdd elsewhere

True, A 120GB SSD was so spacious for my little school laptop (I keep it managed well and keep all my music and vidoes on an external HDD) that I can dual boot win7/ubuntu no problem, so you should be fine.

The Acer aspire V5 is the school computer that I would get now if I had to pick, just because the portability is my #1 and it is 11.6 inch (1366x786 has better pixel density at that size too). I can recommend it in that aspect and have used a friends. The touchscreen seems needless but it is well within your budget and has a few perks like backlit keyboard. If you are willing to consider much smaller laptops I would definitely look at that.

Desktop-CPU: i7 4790k   GPU: ASUS GTX 970   MOBO: Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 mATX   RAM: 16GB 1600MHz Cucial Ballistix   Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB & 840 128GB + 3X WD Blue 1TB   Cooling: Corsair H105   Case: Fractal Design Node 804

Peripherals- Keyboard: Leopold FC660M   Mouse: Logitech G502   Headphones: ATH M50s   Mic: Blue Snowball  Monitors: Dell UP2414Q 4K  Laptop: Dell Inspiron 13 256GB SSD  Other: Moto X, Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Player

True, A 120GB SSD was so spacious for my little school laptop (I keep it managed well and keep all my music and vidoes on an external HDD) that I can dual boot win7/ubuntu no problem, so you should be fine.

The Acer aspire V5 is the school computer that I would get now if I had to pick, just because the portability is my #1 and it is 11.6 inch (1366x786 has better pixel density at that size too). I can recommend it in that aspect and have used a friends. The touchscreen seems needless but it is well within your budget and has a few perks like backlit keyboard. If you are willing to consider much smaller laptops I would definitely look at that.

yea, you're right about the pixel density thing but i'm still not sure about such a small screen. thanks for the input and ideas though

How about netbooks? Since they are smaller than the average laptop, they can be handy. I personally like Acer and Asus. I've played some games with them and I haven't encountered any issues so far.

yea, you're right about the pixel density thing but i'm still not sure about such a small screen. thanks for the input and ideas though

A smaller screen wasn't a huge difference for me, I only missed not being able to vertically align windows for multitasking for the most part, but to each their own.

It is hard to get no compromises at that size,Acer S3 ultrabook also does a very good job of feeling sturdy and preforms well. I've had my hands on one of these before (i3 version) but it fits what you want in a 13.3 inch form factor (other than screen res, which is a bummer I'd expect with 4k around the corner and phones and tablets routinely beating laptops in resolution they'd step it up a bit) 

How about netbooks? Since they are smaller than the average laptop, they can be handy. I personally like Acer and Asus. I've played some games with them and I haven't encountered any issues so far.

i'v though about this along with chrome books (although from what i can tell the difference there is the os) but i'm not sold on them. is there 1 or more in particular i should be checking out?

A smaller screen wasn't a huge difference for me, I only missed not being able to vertically align windows for multitasking for the most part, but to each their own.

It is hard to get no compromises at that size,Acer S3 ultrabook also does a very good job of feeling sturdy and preforms well. I've had my hands on one of these before (i3 version) but it fits what you want in a 13.3 inch form factor (other than screen res, which is a bummer I'd expect with 4k around the corner and phones and tablets routinely beating laptops in resolution they'd step it up a bit) 

yea, id prefer if my laptop has the same or higher resolution than my phone. all of these 1366x768, it's ridiculous but it seems there's nothing i can do about it exept shell out more money or compromise on something

wow, did this get moved. thanks i didn't see this section, i scanned the list twice but i didn't see "laptops" or anything more appropriate than "general". i probably should have looked at the sub heading of each section but ain't no body got time for that.

Honestly, I really recommend the 11inch Macbook air for school. Cheap, portable, and perfect OS for schoolwork if you ask me

Song Of The Day: Nujabes - Battlecry