Alarmclock.exe a possible Virus?

Ok, I was recently checking my task manager processes, and I noticed that alarmclock.exe was running at about 160k (not sure exactly what that means, but it was taking up more than anything else). I attempted to end process, and it says access denied even though I am the system admin on my PC. after some google searching I managed to remove it by uninstalling smarttimelock or something to that description (forgive the vagueness, new when it comes to programs and such) which seems to have removed or at least ended the process of alarmclock.exe

Has anyone heard or experience anything along the lines of it being some type of malware or keylogger? I saw mention of such a thing on google, but the website it came from seemed kind of sketchy to me.

Being on a new pc I haven't had a chance to reinstall my anti virus software.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It's a process associated with Gigabyte's Smart Timelock feature in their appcanter according to google

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Have you run any Autodesk files?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

It's a process associated with Gigabyte's Smart Timelock feature in their appcanter according to google

I saw that as well, but when I attempted to click properties, or go to file location, nothing happened at all. and when attempting to close it with close process, it merely said access denied.

It just seems sketchy to me since it wouldn't allow me to close it manually, it was still running despite app center being closed, and it's hiding of both it's location and properties. Not to mention that one google search result says something about malware or keyloggers masqeurading as alarmclock.exe.

Installing anti virus now, will update when full scan is complete

Have you run any Autodesk files?

*noob face* autodesk?

Edit: also I find it even more odd because I've never even used the alarm clock via app center.

Vendors like GIGABYTE and MSI have some small programs that come with their motherboard drivers/software downloads.

As Vacsol mentioned, it might have to do with TimeLock (which might have some sort of self-protection module). Check for any settings and see if it can be disabled/removed.

An example of self-protection is Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware PRO's self-protection module. When active, you can't even delete the shortcut from the desktop as the application is protecting all of its files.

GW2: Vettexl.9726

Vendors like GIGABYTE and MSI have some small programs that come with their motherboard drivers/software downloads.

As Vacsol mentioned, it might have to do with TimeLock (which might have some sort of self-protection module). Check for any settings and see if it can be disabled/removed.

An example of self-protection is Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware PRO's self-protection module. When active, you can't even delete the shortcut from the desktop as the application is protecting all of its files.

My concern is that it wasn't small, it was using more memory on my system than anything else at the time, 160,000k according to task manager, whatever the hell that means

My concern is that it wasn't small, it was using more memory on my system than anything else at the time, 160,000k according to task manager, whatever the hell that means

Yeah that does sound a bit strange. Have you tried a full scan with a reputable program, like Malwarebytes or avast?

GW2: Vettexl.9726

1) Try MSCONFIG (type it in the start menu).  To disable the service before removing it.  Sometimes just a bad installation is the problem.

2) Find the directory to the process AlarmClock.exe.  Where it is running from can tell you a lot about the file.

3) If this fails try kill the process inside Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services.  More than likely the process will be listed here.

4) Finally, you can use the Command Prompt and run "TASKLIST".  Add a "/?" to pull up the help info.  You can force kill a process with tasklist.

"We will never make a 32-bit operating system." -- Bill Gates, 1989

Yeah that does sound a bit strange. Have you tried a full scan with a reputable program, like Malwarebytes or avast?

I am running my premium version (paid for version) of Trend Micro Titanium (2014 I think) right now, it will take some time as the full scan usually does. Going to be now, will update in the morning.

1) Try MSCONFIG (type it in the start menu).  To disable the service before removing it.  Sometimes just a bad installation is the problem.

2) Find the directory to the process AlarmClock.exe.  Where it is running from can tell you a lot about the file.

3) If this fails try kill the process inside Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services.  More than likely the process will be listed here.

4) Finally, you can use the Command Prompt and run "TASKLIST".  Add a "/?" to pull up the help info.  You can force kill a process with tasklist.

I was able to "kill it" by uninstalling the program associated with it, it no longer appears on my processes. Or so it seems, but I know from experience that virus's can be VERY trixy in this regard

Running full scan, will update when I wake up. Thanks for the help guys.

I saw that as well, but when I attempted to click properties, or go to file location, nothing happened at all. and when attempting to close it with close process, it merely said access denied.

It just seems sketchy to me since it wouldn't allow me to close it manually, it was still running despite app center being closed, and it's hiding of both it's location and properties. Not to mention that one google search result says something about malware or keyloggers masqeurading as alarmclock.exe.

Installing anti virus now, will update when full scan is complete

*noob face* autodesk?

Edit: also I find it even more odd because I've never even used the alarm clock via app center.

In the future, it's probably a good idea to have some sort of antivirus already installed on your system.  You should never wait until you get infected to install one.

Autodesk is an SDK program for 3D animation.  A lot of big-budget titles use Autodesk.  I can't think of any off the top my head but it's usually in small print when you first start a game.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

I am running my premium version (paid for version) of Trend Micro Titanium (2014 I think) right now, it will take some time as the full scan usually does. Going to be now, will update in the morning.

I was able to "kill it" by uninstalling the program associated with it, it no longer appears on my processes. Or so it seems, but I know from experience that virus's can be VERY trixy in this regard

Running full scan, will update when I wake up. Thanks for the help guys.

TRENDMICRO is terrible...  I would use Security Essentials before I used their junk.  Check this out next time before you buy your A/V.  http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php

TRENDMICRO is terrible...  I would use Security Essentials before I used their junk.  Check this out next time before you buy your A/V.  http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php

I've heard people say that a couple times. I haven't had a virus (knock on wood) with trend micro in over a year now, and I like that if I do get one, they remove it for me, and send me an update that upgrades my software's immunity to that virus within one week (and if I get reinfected during that one week, they remove it again for free). So why does everyone seem to hate them? I've had a few alerts from TM over the past year where TM blocked files or threads on webpages, but no infections for a good while now. Although I don't do P2P anymore which is where most of my virus's ever came from. I do think when TM runs out (whenever that is) I'll try kaspersky. I do keep everything on TM set to hyper-sensitive (their term) just because it's worth it to me to not get virus's

Trend Micro found nothing, I guess I'll chalk this up to alarmclock.exe malfunctioning or something.

Just so you know, sometimes programs will spit out an Access Denied error, even if you try to kill it as the system (through various means like Runas, or PsExec), usually because it's trying to finish an I/O operation, and the exit is waiting on that I/O. It's not a big deal, really, but it is a pain in the ass. Chances are, it was a utility that came with your mobo, but yeah, if you don't like the looks of it, just get rid of it.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

I've heard people say that a couple times. I haven't had a virus (knock on wood) with trend micro in over a year now, and I like that if I do get one, they remove it for me, and send me an update that upgrades my software's immunity to that virus within one week (and if I get reinfected during that one week, they remove it again for free). So why does everyone seem to hate them? I've had a few alerts from TM over the past year where TM blocked files or threads on webpages, but no infections for a good while now. Although I don't do P2P anymore which is where most of my virus's ever came from. I do think when TM runs out (whenever that is) I'll try kaspersky. I do keep everything on TM set to hyper-sensitive (their term) just because it's worth it to me to not get virus's

Trend Micro found nothing, I guess I'll chalk this up to alarmclock.exe malfunctioning or something.

Ok here is the deal with security software:  The security software and oem (Dell, HP, Lenova,etc.) manufactures have a deep interest in you computer slowing down.  People will not buy new PC's if they don't EVER break.  Look at the life span of the PC before the internet.  A company like Malwarebytes does not have a hat in ring.  Often when repairing people's PCs, even with major security software, the bloatware, spyware, and other hijacks go unnoticed.  Look at the Malwarebytes forums and you will understand what I mean, since there are people who dedicated their personal time to help people remove malware (free of charge).  Now who seem more trustworthy:  The company who devotes itself to help people for free, or the Major A/V companies who pay the OEM PC makers millions of dollars to have their software preintalled on a PC?

Download and try Malwarebytes (free version).  I think you might be surprised at the issues Trendmicro has left unattended.  If you need some help with the advanced setting there is plenty of info on their forums or just shoot me a message.

Ok here is the deal with security software:  The security software and oem (Dell, HP, Lenova,etc.) manufactures have a deep interest in you computer slowing down.  People will not buy new PC's if they don't EVER break.  Look at the life span of the PC before the internet.  A company like Malwarebytes does not have a hat in ring.  Often when repairing people's PCs, even with major security software, the bloatware, spyware, and other hijacks go unnoticed.  Look at the Malwarebytes forums and you will understand what I mean, since there are people who dedicated their personal time to help people remove malware (free of charge).  Now who seem more trustworthy:  The company who devotes itself to help people for free, or the Major A/V companies who pay the OEM PC makers millions of dollars to have their software preintalled on a PC?

My software did not come preinstalled, it was installed by geeksquad (i know, i know.....) on my mothers PC when they last worked on it, and I like it so I purchased it myself. Although as I said when my sub runs out I'm gonna get kaspersky and give that a try.

My software did not come preinstalled, it was installed by geeksquad (i know, i know.....) on my mothers PC when they last worked on it, and I like it so I purchased it myself. Although as I said when my sub runs out I'm gonna get kaspersky and give that a try.

Do you know how much Geek Squad is paying for your A/V?  Next to nothing, because they are salesmen selling a product to unsuspecting and naive buyers.  Ask a real tech.  I have been working with PCs since the days of DOS and AT motherboards.  So I remember the days when Norton A/V stopped everything dead in its tracks (mid to late 90s).  After it was bought by Symantec it became known as a PoS (except the Corporate Level Suite, wonder why?).  Don't worry Trendmicro, Symantec, and McAfee all pay LOTS of money sell their products (including the OEM trial installs), so its not just a Best Buy thing.  Kapersky is one of the highest rated A/V year after year.  It is all a gimmick though.  Practice proper windows safety and this entire debate is irrelevent.  If people would use strong password (all accts but especially the Admin acct), which they change frequently (ever 45 days or so) and used Limited User Account to surf the net, over 90% of attacks are stopped dead in their tracks because of UAC in NT6.x (Vista, 7,and 8).

Do you know how much Geek Squad is paying for your A/V?  Next to nothing, because they are salesmen selling a product to unsuspecting and naive buyers.  Ask a real tech.  I have been working with PCs since the days of DOS and AT motherboards.  So I remember the days when Norton A/V stopped everything dead in its tracks (mid to late 90s).  After it was bought by Symantec it became known as a PoS (except the Corporate Level Suite, wonder why?).  Don't worry Trendmicro, Symantec, and McAfee all pay LOTS of money sell their products (including the OEM trial installs), so its not just a Best Buy thing.  Kapersky is one of the highest rated A/V year after year.  It is all a gimmick though.  Practice proper windows safety and this entire debate is irrelevent.  If people would use strong password (all accts but especially the Admin acct), which they change frequently (ever 45 days or so) and used Limited User Account to surf the net, over 90% of attacks are stopped dead in their tracks because of UAC in NT6.x (Vista, 7,and 8).

Bro, why do keep saying that his ways aren't as good as yours? You ways can't be perfect, can they? Is he trusts his own anti-whatever software, let him use it. They all work really similarly (look at that, I didn't sat they work the same), and if he wants to use this or that or the other thing, then let him. He doesn't have to listen to some guy on the internet.

Anyways, the anti virus that Microsoft made that comes with win8 works ok. Unless your using win7, then some aftermarket stuff is pretty much required. :)

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs