WD Blue v.s WD Black

emachado99

False. Anyone with a WD black will admit that when the drive is searching it makes noise more than any other drive.

You can google 'WD black drive noise' and you get thousands of results of people asking if the noise is normal, and yes it is normal for all WB black drives to make more noise than average.

Bias. Many people have had great experiences with their Seagate hard drives. They also have some of the fastest read/write speeds of a 7200 rpm HDD. The reason why there are common failure reports is because barracuda drives sell many millions, more than almost all other hard drive manufacturers. Obviously the more they sell, the more failures there ill be.

Ah I have a WD Black running half a foot away for me and I have never heard it spin up ever. They are not load at all. Seagate has high fail rate.

Ah I have a WD Black running half a foot away for me and I have never heard it spin up ever. They are not load at all. Seagate has high fail rate.

Well according to hundreds of people WD black drives make more noise than others when searching...

Here is one of many examples:

http://community.wd.com/t5/Desktop-Mobile-Drives/WD-Caviar-Black-is-a-loud-drive/td-p/6468

Also idk where you're getting your failure rate stats but I can assure you that seagate is definitely not the worst in terms of failures. Hopefully you're not getting your information from backblaze which has been proven to be wrong...

hdd_ssd_failure_rates_with_2tb_hdd.jpg

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Well according to hundreds of people WD black drives make more noise than others when searching...

Here is one of many examples:

http://community.wd.com/t5/Desktop-Mobile-Drives/WD-Caviar-Black-is-a-loud-drive/td-p/6468

Also idk where you're getting your failure rate stats but I can assure you that seagate is definitely not the worst in terms of failures. Hopefully you're not getting your information from backblaze which has been proven to be wrong...

That's the old revisions that you are reffering to. The latest revision of WD Black is silent. Also it would stand to reason the the best selling performance HDD on the market would have more failed drives because there are more drive LOL.

Don't bother withe a blue drive its their cheapest drive, hell I trust a green way more.

That's the old revisions that you are reffering to. The latest revision of WD Black is silent. Also it would stand to reason the the best selling performance HDD on the market would have more failed drives because there are more drive LOL.

WB black drives are by not the most selling drives on the market. Maybe you don't notice the noise of your WD black, but other people do.

WD and Seagate are actually really close in HDD sales.

seagate_vs_western_digital_hdd_shipments

When you take into consideration that WD's sales are divided between Green, Blue, Black, and other drives, and Seagate is mostly selling Barracuda drives and a couple others types, It is very obvious that Barracuda sells a lot more than WD black drives. And as you said, more sales=more failures overall.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

WB black drives are by not the most selling drives on the market. Maybe you don't notice the noise of your WD black, but other people do.

No there is no noise as stated by myself and another user here on LTT forums.

No there is no noise as stated by myself and another user here on LTT forums.

Yup there is. There is always noise when there are moving parts. It is impossible for a hard drive to make no noise. If you have a decent quality case you will hear it less of course, as the vibrations will not be amplified by the case but rather dampened.

Spoiler

Yup there is.

I and another user are running the drive right now. I don't think you know what you are on about. Please stop as there is no perceivable noise coming from the drive as stated by myself and another user that are actually running the drive.

I and another user are running the drive right now. I don't think you know what you are on about. Please stop as there is no perceivable noise coming from the drive as stated by myself and another user that are actually running the drive.

Just because you and one other person claim it is silent doesn't mean that the other hundred people that say they hear it are wrong. If you are biased enough to think that your views represent those of everyone else with the product you should reconsider your argument.

Spoiler

WD and Seagate are actually really close in HDD sales.

Posted Image

When you take into consideration that WD's sales are divided between Green, Blue, Black, and other drives, and Seagate is mostly selling Barracuda drives and a couple others types, It is very obvious that Barracuda sells a lot more than WD black drives. And as you said, more sales=more failures overall.

Segate does have all different kinds of drives they just don't label them as clearly as WD. They have actually been in some markets that WD just got into for a long time. The reason they are about equal in sales is the only manufacturer left besides them is toshiba.

Just because you and one other person claim it is silent doesn't mean that the other hundred people that say they hear it are wrong. If you are biased enough to think that your views represent those of everyone else with the product you should reconsider your argument.

You don't even run the drive. Please stop just stop.

Segate does have all different kinds of drives they just don't label them as clearly as WD. They have actually been in some markets that WD just got into for a long time. The reason they are about equal in sales is the only manufacturer left besides them is toshiba.

Hitachi also makes quite a few sales.

Spoiler

You don't even run the drive. Please stop just stop.

If you're going to be rude on the forum please leave. I'm just saying that there are plenty of people that say it is loud. What is more trustworthy, two people, or 200 people? *facepalm*

Spoiler

Hitachi also makes quite a few sales.

Hitachi is dead. All of their 3.5 stuff was sold to Toshiba. WD wanted everything but the EU said no so they were left with the brand and the 2.5in manufacturing.

If you're going to be rude on the forum please leave. I'm just saying that there are plenty of people that say it is loud. What is more trustworthy, two people, or 200 people? *facepalm*

I trust the two people that are using the drive not you who has never run the drive. Stop trolling and bugger off your derailing the thread.

Just to throw this out there I own a wd black and a bunch of blues and a raptor. The raptor sounds like a engine on a muscle ar lol its loud when it spins its loud louder than fans I do not use this drive anymore its an old model and the newer ones may be quieter. The black drives are loud compared to other drives and all drives make noise how far away to hear them is irrelevant fact is that all drives make noise period that's like saying you have a fan that doesn't make noise it simply is not possible. Now depending on your case and other elements fans ect you can or not hear it in no case sitting on table it is loud from a few feet away you can hear it in a case with 1200+rpm fans not so much unless you put your ear like 6 inches away from it. In a case where completely silence is wanted it is not ideal however if you have medium rpm and noise fans it will not be noticeable. a raptor will though I can hear my raptor over my mcp35x at 100% and that's a loud pump. So in closing does it make noise yes will you notice it in a good case and normal use conditions most likely not are blues quieter yes are raptors loud as hell yes. Also there are differences in every drive 1 may be louder than another or might be quieter. 

Are black drives more prone to failure yes however in my experience said failures happens with in the first month you will get lots of doa and quick to die blacks until you will get 1 that is good. 

Is there a better option for a mech drive yes. There is a new wd blue drive that is single platter this results in much faster read and write speeds it smokes a black drive all day and doesn't make as much noise however it does cost more and its very new (I think about a year) So its failure rates are a little to soon to tell. WD blacks are good drives as are the single platter as are raptors  however the heat issues and noise from raptors are far less worth it in today's age that is why there prices have plummeted ssds are a all around better option that a raptor.

Also again Im going to throw this out with the price of ssds and fact there proven to be 1m times more reliable then any mech they are the better option you can buy a samsung evo in like 1tb for 450 dollars not a bad price for a drive that will last far longer than you would keep it. They also make zero noise and do not generate much heat if any So the real question here is how important is your data As if you choose to run a WD black your going to need to do backups daily or at least weekly and thats another drive so more noise more heat more chance of failure and more money.

Just to throw this out there I own a wd black and a bunch of blues and a raptor. The raptor sounds like a engine on a muscle ar lol its loud when it spins its loud louder than fans I do not use this drive anymore its an old model and the newer ones may be quieter. The black drives are loud compared to other drives and all drives make noise how far away to hear them is irrelevant fact is that all drives make noise period that's like saying you have a fan that doesn't make noise it simply is not possible. Now depending on your case and other elements fans ect you can or not hear it in no case sitting on table it is loud from a few feet away you can hear it in a case with 1200+rpm fans not so much unless you put your ear like 6 inches away from it. In a case where completely silence is wanted it is not ideal however if you have medium rpm and noise fans it will not be noticeable. a raptor will though I can hear my raptor over my mcp35x at 100% and that's a loud pump. So in closing does it make noise yes will you notice it in a good case and normal use conditions most likely not are blues quieter yes are raptors loud as hell yes. Also there are differences in every drive 1 may be louder than another or might be quieter. 

Are black drives more prone to failure yes however in my experience said failures happens with in the first month you will get lots of doa and quick to die blacks until you will get 1 that is good. 

Is there a better option for a mech drive yes. There is a new wd blue drive that is single platter this results in much faster read and write speeds it smokes a black drive all day and doesn't make as much noise however it does cost more and its very new (I think about a year) So its failure rates are a little to soon to tell. WD blacks are good drives as are the single platter as are raptors  however the heat issues and noise from raptors are far less worth it in today's age that is why there prices have plummeted ssds are a all around better option that a raptor.

A pin drop makes noise ... Does that mean you hear it LOL.

A pin drop makes noise ... Does that mean you hear it LOL.

WD blacks make way more noise then a pin drop don't try to fool us or yourself that is a fact. Take your drive out and hook it just to a psu and see how much noise it makes. I own one I have owned many some louder than others you may own a drive that is quiet in comparison to others however that is the same thing as the silicon lottery just because my i7 hits 5ghz doesnt by any means yours can even break 4.5 1 drive makes a number 100000s makes a statistic and the statistics are not in your favor.

Also the wd black 1tb new revision is 226.99 on new egg before shipping taxes compared to a 500gb samsung evo around the same price so yes half the space and a million times the performance and reliabily that's a no brainier

WD blacks make way more noise then a pin drop don't try to fool us or yourself that is a fact. Take your drive out and hook it just to a psu and see how much noise it makes. I own one I have owned many some louder than others you may own a drive that is quiet in comparison to others however that is the same thing as the silicon lottery just because my i7 hits 5ghz doesnt by any means yours can even break 4.5 1 drive makes a number 100000s makes a statistic and the statistics are not in your favor.

Also the wd black 1tb new revision is 226.99 on new egg before shipping taxes compared to a 500gb samsung evo around the same price so yes half the space and a million times the performance and reliabily that's a no brainier

"Also the wd black 1tb new revision is 226.99" WHAT!???? that cant be right I mean there are enterprise drives cheaper than that 1TB.

"Also the wd black 1tb new revision is 226.99" WHAT!???? that cant be right I mean there are enterprise drives cheaper than that 1TB.

Link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

Enterprise drives also don't have dual processors nor are they single platter both of which this is.

Sorry had that backwards thats the old one and its 150 on amazon the new one is 80 my bad.

WD blacks make way more noise then a pin drop don't try to fool us or yourself that is a fact...

Sorry can't hear the drive ever. Even my near silent case fans on low and GPU make more noise. Really even with a near silent PC the WD Black drive is among the most silent component in my case.

I have a loud black and I have a near silent one. The silent one is newer and (more importantly) mounted with rubber grommets.

A sub par drive cage can amplify the vibration of drives mounted in them. The are also blacks that simply scratch (brewing coffee noise) louder than others.