WD Blue v.s WD Black

emachado99

What are some major differences between the Western Digital Blue drive and Black drive? Is it worth the extra money to go for the Black instead of the blue?

I do game and browse web, and other sorts of things, so do you think the Black drive is worth it? It comes with a 5-year warrenty  v.s the Blue with a 3 year warranty. 

The black is faster, louder, and uses more power.

It is better to get a wd blue/seagate barracuda and a separate SSD.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It's a bit more faster, which you will probably won't notice because mechanical drives are very slow.

With hard drives, or they die on the first month or two, or they last a long time (at least that's my experience). So I don't really think the Black drive is worth it.

I have the 2TB WD Black. It is not loud, I don't care what anyone says. I can't hear it with it being six inches away from my ear. It's silent.

The black is faster and more gaming and file transfer optimized.

I have a 1TB WD Black. It's only loud when first booting up the drive when you can hear it spinning up. But after that it's silent

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 | Motherboard: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 8gb (2x4gb) Corsair LP @1600mhz | GPU: Asus TUF GTX 1660 OC 6GB | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | Storage: 250gb Samsung 840 EVO and 1TB WD Black 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Display: Asus VG245H 1920x1080 | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and default case fans | Laptop: Early 2015 13" Macbook Pro Retina - i5 2.7Ghz - 256GB SSD

I have got an OCZ Vertex 4 for my boot drive, and I have had 2 Seagate Barracuda's fail on me within the year so, yeah no more Seagate for me..

I've been seeing mixed reviews for the WD Blue but good reviews for the WD Black... I don't know what to do lol

I have a 1TB WD Black. It's only loud when first booting up the drive when you can hear it spinning up. But after that it's silent

Is that your primary drive?

Is that your primary drive?

No

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 | Motherboard: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 8gb (2x4gb) Corsair LP @1600mhz | GPU: Asus TUF GTX 1660 OC 6GB | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | Storage: 250gb Samsung 840 EVO and 1TB WD Black 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Display: Asus VG245H 1920x1080 | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and default case fans | Laptop: Early 2015 13" Macbook Pro Retina - i5 2.7Ghz - 256GB SSD

why not both?

but seriously i'v had both, the black is faster but the performance isn't anything to get exited about and i have found that it is actually quite a bit louder and its especially noticeable when writing to it for long periods of time so i would say go with the blue to save some money and keep your system a little quieter

if you have the money go get WD Velociraptor 1TB

if you have the money go get WD Velociraptor 1TB

Well I do have the money.. But I think I may be buying a new monitor as well :P

why not both?

but seriously i'v had both, the black is faster but the performance isn't anything to get exited about and i have found that it is actually quite a bit louder and its especially noticeable when writing to it for long periods of time so i would say go with the blue to save some money and keep your system a little quieter

You didn't notice a difference when gaming at all? I know they are both 7200RPM so it won't be a drastic difference but I heard the black is more for gamers...

what monitor you going to get???

You didn't notice a difference when gaming at all? I know they are both 7200RPM so it won't be a drastic difference but I heard the black is more for gamers...

no, the difference in negligible, you might see a difference in a side by side test but i'm not sure of that. all i know is that i didn't see a difference and there's probably a lot of other things you could spend your money on to improve your gaming experience

you shouldnt run games on a mech anyway the new samsung ssds are like 100 bucks for 250gbs grab that throw your games there and a blue for everything else

you shouldnt run games on a mech anyway the new samsung ssds are like 100 bucks for 250gbs grab that throw your games there and a blue for everything else

you shouldn't need an ssd for games, it wont make much of a difference + what if he wants to be that guy who has his whole steam library installed at once.

No SSD for games? Most games are hitting insane install sizes these days. SSDs are ideal for loading all that data to onboard and video memory.

Loading screens are balls. Gotta be first to spawn in that chopper!

FYI I have an Intel 730 for OS, utilities, office, etc. Another 730 for games. And a WD Black 1tb for movies, music, pics, etc.

no, the difference in negligible, you might see a difference in a side by side test but i'm not sure of that. all i know is that i didn't see a difference and there's probably a lot of other things you could spend your money on to improve your gaming experience

Alright I think I'll get the Blue today and try it out. It's $64.99 CAD compared to $89.99 CAD for the Black.

what monitor you going to get???

Not 100% sure yet lol. My budget is $200 and under. I am going to Canada Computers today and I am gonna look around and see what they got.

black has a 5 year warranty

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

if he wants to be the whole steam libary guy he van but a bigger ssd lol. and it does make a diffrence I dont what games you play but they make a diffrence as far as loading screens ect you can have the best gpu cpu setup ever doesnt matter if your hdd is the bottleneck I swap the games im playng on and.off the ssd and if I play certian games on the hdd I do notice a diffrence

Don't buy a velocraptor drive as they are really expensive, noisy and you might as well get an SSD for the same or even less money for the same capacity.

I have the 2TB WD Black. It is not loud, I don't care what anyone says. I can't hear it with it being six inches away from my ear. It's silent.

Yup WD Blacks are silent and well balanced drives. I can't here mine ever and it does not vibrate at all ever.

WD Blacks are not loud at all. Seagate sucks.

WD Blacks are not loud at all.

False. Anyone with a WD black will admit that when the drive is searching it makes noise more than any other drive.

You can google 'WD black drive noise' and you get thousands of results of people asking if the noise is normal, and yes it is normal for all WB black drives to make more noise than average.

Seagate sucks.

Bias. Many people have had great experiences with their Seagate hard drives. They also have some of the fastest read/write speeds of a 7200 rpm HDD. The reason why there are common failure reports is because barracuda drives sell many millions, more than almost all other hard drive manufacturers. Obviously the more they sell, the more failures there ill be.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020