Do you use a VPN?

Synthetic-Pulse

I use private internet access, I like them a lot because they are inexpensive and dont keep logs. But latley when I have it on and I go to a website, I am constantly asked to put in a captcha code. Does anyone else have this problem? Or do you think it might be a virus?

it probably wants to verify your human since its seeing a lot of traffic from the same location but i could be wrong

i don't use a VPN because i have nothing to hide, nothing to protect and i prefer speed.

Yes

4770k Delid @ 4.5Ghz/1.25V w/ NH-D15, Maximus VII Hero, HyperX Beast 8GB 1600Mhz, GTX770 DCII OC, Strider Gold S 750W, 120GB 840 EVO, 2TB Barracuda, No case : D

Quickfire TK (MX Brown), Naos 7000, 128GB Surface Pro 2, 32GB G2 With Lightning Rom V4

yeah that happens with my own vpn its quite annoying specially on google.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

it probably wants to verify your human since its seeing a lot of traffic from the same location but i could be wrong

i don't use a VPN because i have nothing to hide, nothing to protect and i prefer speed.

Its not about having nothing to hide, its about wanting to stay anonymous and not be data harvested. Not to mention most the time that "speed" you speak of does not exist because they throttle the hell out of your connection when going to certain sites, youtube being one of them.

I only use one to access Netflix because it's blocked in Australia.

Do you get asked for a captcha all the time?

I do, and i use PIA as well, but i don't use it for browsing much(sometimes), just downloading.

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5

Not yet. But I'm seriously considering one. Don't know witch to pick yet.

XEON 1230 v2 / AMD R9 280x / 8GB DDR3 / Adata XPG SX900 256GB SSD / Corsair 300R Side Window / Corsair CX500M / Corsair M65 Green

Not yet. But I'm seriously considering one. Don't know witch to pick yet.

PIA is the way to go, most other VPN companys keep logs of when you signed on and off. PIA logs nothing, and are a great price.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't use one, but I am trying out epicbrowser, which does claim to have very good privacy, although I don't really need it as I'm generally very open when it comes to things on my computer.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Yes. I live in China, so it's pretty much self-explanatory...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

If I need to... Especially when the ISP borks in routing and I need to get access to something...

This is probably the reason why.

I use a VPN. I got one running on my home router. I use it to access stuff on my NAS securely when on things like my school network (don't want them to see what files I fetch), I use it when on public networks so that nobody can sniff my traffic, and I use it for playing LAN games over the Internet. For example the Diablo 2 servers are crap so my brother and I decided to play on LAN instead, so I have him connect to my VPN and we can play just as if we were sitting in the same room.

I do not. Personally, I have no reason too. For me, a VPN doesn't increase my internet speed any appreciable amount, considering the increased ping it causes, especially when gaming.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

I do not. Personally, I have no reason too. For me, a VPN doesn't increase my internet speed any appreciable amount, considering the increased ping it causes, especially when gaming.

Every one has a reason to use one, its not about having some thing to hide, its about protecting yourself from being data harvested. Not to mention all the throttling the big ISP companies do when you visit sites like youtube and twitch. 

I use a VPN to access my house from some where else. I don't use one when I'm at the house.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

I use private internet access, I like them a lot because they are inexpensive and dont keep logs. But latley when I have it on and I go to a website, I am constantly asked to put in a captcha code. Does anyone else have this problem? Or do you think it might be a virus?

How do you know they dont keep logs?

Nope, because our governemnt doesn't really care what we do online. I've torrented my whole life without a proxy or anything.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Every one has a reason to use one, its not about having some thing to hide, its about protecting yourself from being data harvested. Not to mention all the throttling the big ISP companies do when you visit sites like youtube and twitch.

See, you're wrong. You're making an assumption that everyone cares about either. I, do not. Large companies can harvest my data all they want, so long as it doesn't become intrusive and annoying to ME, which thus far, it has not. As for the throttling, not all ISP's do it, and more over, even if mine does, it's not in any amount that I've noticed because I don't have problems running either (be it 4k YT vids for the hell of it, or source quality twitch streams).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

See, you're wrong. You're making an assumption that everyone cares about either.

This whole attitude of "I don't have anything to hide and don't care as long as it does not bother me" is the problem. By being perfectly ok with these terrible practices these big ISP companies do, is saying, sure harvest my data, make money off selling it to add companies I don't mind, I also don't care about the fact that you are throttling sites that don't pay you enough.

Time warner and comcast own a MASSIVE part of the market and they very clearly throttle so it DOES affect many people.

The fact that "slow" and "fast" lanes exist is terrible and you SHOULD care. It won't be long before there are data caps and you have to pay extra to access certain major sites, the way cable TV is now, will soon be how the internet is, point is. Start to care about this stuff, unless you want these changes to happen.

VPN ftw. Never had that kind of problem though.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.