Need help. GTX 760 x2 or GTX 780 x1

Cavatoid

If anyone could give me a hand it would be great i can decide on whether to go with 2 GTX 760s or one GTX 780, im looking to build a fairly good gaming pc right, i will write the entire specs near the bottom, but i'm also looking to stream, games like: Day Z (Mod) Dayz Standalone, rust, counterstrike Global offensive. Also looking to play battlefield for on Medium to high settings not necessarely looking to stream.

I have heard there are alot of bugs/problems by going SLI and i have never done it before, so im thinking of just going with the 780, unless there are some good advantages that i dont know of with the 2 760s and if it willbe that worth it then i will do it, but im not sure at the moment so any help would be great. Thanks guys.

FULL BUILD:

i7 4790k

Corsair H100i

Asus Z97-pro

8gb HyperX Blu

1tb Seagate Barracuda

Sandisk Extreme II 240gb SSD

XFX Pro 750w PSU

Cooler Master Storm Stryker

If you have any reccomendations, PLEASE let me know it will help alot.

Again any help is greatly apreciated.

Thanks.

If anyone could give me a hand it would be great i can decide on whether to go with 2 GTX 760s or one GTX 780, im looking to build a fairly good gaming pc right, i will write the entire specs near the bottom, but i'm also looking to stream, games like: Day Z (Mod) Dayz Standalone, rust, counterstrike Global offensive. Also looking to play battlefield for on Medium to high settings not necessarely looking to stream.

I have heard there are alot of bugs/problems by going SLI and i have never done it before, so im thinking of just going with the 780, unless there are some good advantages that i dont know of with the 2 760s and if it willbe that worth it then i will do it, but im not sure at the moment so any help would be great. Thanks guys.

FULL BUILD:

blablala

If you have any reccomendations, PLEASE let me know it will help alot.

Again any help is greatly apreciated.

Thanks.

Straight up answer: two 760s will destroy one 780.

Of course as with all forum answers to (two X cards in SLI vs one Y card) of course you have to take into consideration, heat (you'll be fine), power consumption (750W is enough if you're not doing extreme overclocks), and upgradability (one 780 will allow you to add another one later, two 760s now will require replacing both cards later on)

"Rawr XD"

One GTX 780. Allows for future upgradability.

But it is still not a sensible option in terms of what OP is getting. Some of the games he plays don't support SLI in themselves anyways.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

nooooo single 780 because its a high end card and because sli scailing is poor

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

@Cavatoid

Two 760s might be more powerful than a 780 but it's also alot more heat and power. That's the reason why I always suggest 1 higher-end card as opposed to 2 lower-end cards.

Also, SLI isn't always good for games and a single 780 will allow for more upgradability.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

So, the 760s are faster, but I don't recommend them as the lack of vram deteriorates their performance at high resolutions, which is where a powerful gpu is aimed at. Furthermore sli is less than optimal compared to a single gpu solution as not all games support it and of course it's more power hungry and hotter.

Between the two options the single 780 is better. However with the current pricings I recommend an R9 290 instead, faster and cheaper.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

But it is still not a sensible option in terms of what OP is getting. Some of the games he plays don't support SLI in themselves anyways.

I just answered the question is all, and the answer wasn't wrong. But of course general rule of thumb is one card over two lower ones. 

"Rawr XD"

So, the 760s are faster, but I don't recommend them as the lack of vram deteriorates their performance at high resolutions, which is where a powerful gpu is aimed at. Furthermore sli is less than optimal compared to a single gpu solution as not all games support it and of course it's more power hungry and hotter.

Between the two options the single 780 is better. However with the current pricings I recommend an R9 290 instead, faster and cheaper.

Yes, but i've heard the R9's are very unreliable any opinions on that?

From what im seeing it seems like the 780 will be the way to go, would going SLI on the 780 be a good idea?

nooooo single 780 because its a high end card and because sli scailing is poor

SLI scaling is getting better and better with every new title, it's not like it was before. Some games still don't scale but in reality a single 760 will still cut it for those particular titles. If we take in to consideration that it scales 50% (two 760s = 1.5x one 780) the two 760s will still be faster. 

"Rawr XD"

From what im seeing it seems like the 780 will be the way to go, would going SLI on the 780 be a good idea?

If you plan to keep your rig for a long time then go for the one 780. SLI with any card can be a good idea, it just depends on what you want to do. Performance now or upgradability later

"Rawr XD"

Used ones are unreliable as many of them were used for mining. Buying new you're safe.

"Rawr XD"

I have one, it's perfect.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Used ones are unreliable as many of them were used for mining. Buying new you're safe.

Ah, my friend bought a brand new R9 and it croaked on him withing a month of light usage and i've heard multiple reports of this.

2 760's just for lolz

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

2 760's just for lolz

Haha, i was honestly thinking that but i kind of want to be serious

So i had two 760 HAWKS and my 290x Lightning beats them in almost all tests. I wouldnt get two 760's, get a 780 or 290x. SLI scaling isnt bad, people that dont SLI say that because people on YouTube say that. I have SLI'd 670's 680's (lightnings and DCUII) Titans' 780's 760's 6970's (way back) and they all scaled just fine.

Ah, my friend bought a brand new R9 and it croaked on him withing a month of light usage and i've heard multiple reports of this.

Yeah, people buy R9s used a lot because they think they're getting a good deal, but it's those good-deal cards that have been to hell and back mining litecoin/bitcoin/myasscoin/whatever

Welcome to LTT by the way!

"Rawr XD"

So i had two 760 HAWKS and my 290x Lightning beats them in almost all tests. I wouldnt get two 760's, get a 780 or 290x.

Tests = ?

"Rawr XD"

Two 760s will look cooler and perform better

One 780 will cost less (in the long run if you keep your rig for a long time and want to upgrade, but this might be many years)

"Rawr XD"

Yeah, people buy R9s used a lot because they think they're getting a good deal, but it's those good-deal cards that have been to hell and back mining litecoin/bitcoin/myasscoin/whatever

Welcome to LTT by the way!

@Aniallation Ya, I still have some time to think and contemplate and look at reviews and whatnot, but ya thanks for the help, and thanks I think I like it here :P

So i had two 760 HAWKS and my 290x Lightning beats them in almost all tests. I wouldnt get two 760's, get a 780 or 290x.

Ya, Im still not to sure the 780 is really looking up for me right now.

Two 760s will look cooler and perform better

One 780 will cost less (in the long run if you keep your rig for a long time and want to upgrade, but this might be many years)

Ya exactly i wanted to do the 760s just for the looks but Idk its a hard descision atm

then if you really want to be serious you should grab a r9 290

It's cheaper than a 780, and if you want, you could spend a few dollars more and get the 290x

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb