bottle necking help

GfysPenguinz

i have a amd a8 6600k i have being told if i put a r9 280x  it will bottle neck on games i dont want to change motherboard so what should i do  buy a new fm2 processor or downgrade graphics please help

Hmm yeah an A8 6600K will defenetly bottleneck a R9 280X, even with strong overclocking. problem is it doesn't get any better regarding CPU power on the FM2 socket. So you either need a new CPU + mainboard, or you go with a less powerfull GPU. A R9 270X should do fine with a A8 6600K.

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E + AMD Ryzen 3800X; EVGA GTX 1070Ti FTW Supersilent; 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600; bequiet! Dark Power Pro 10 750W; Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + 2x 1TB 860 EVO; PHANTEKS Evolve X + Custom Liquid Cooling

Hmm yeah an A8 6600K will defenetly bottleneck a R9 280X, even with strong overclocking. problem is it doesn't get any better regarding CPU power on the FM2 socket. So you either need a new CPU + mainboard, or you go with a less powerfull GPU. A R9 270X should do fine with a A8 6600K.

this Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X Video Graphics Card 4 GB PCI Express X16 DDR5 what resolution will this play 720 high settings or 1080 low settings

this Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X Video Graphics Card 4 GB PCI Express X16 DDR5 what resolution will this play 720 high settings or 1080 low settings

Get the normal 2GB version, that's good enough. The A8 + 270X will do 1080 medium settings.

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E + AMD Ryzen 3800X; EVGA GTX 1070Ti FTW Supersilent; 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600; bequiet! Dark Power Pro 10 750W; Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + 2x 1TB 860 EVO; PHANTEKS Evolve X + Custom Liquid Cooling

Maybe invest the rest of your available money into a good CPU cooler and overclock the cpu.

The whole thing on bottlenecking is not that it won't work, it's just that on some games you can't take advantage of your GPU's full potential.

If the game is more CPU bound, you will get a couple less frames, if its not, then you will get better performance.

On real gaming, the difference between this processor and another one doesn't make much of a difference.

Austin Evans has a video comparing the i5 with a Athlon X4 750K, which is basically the A8 you have, but without the integrated graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIT9uLDjZcg

If you can afford the R9 280X, go for it, you will get 60+ fps on most high end games on very high settings.

no upgrade.on fm2 you are stuck with athlons.oc is useless.

i was thinking get the Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X Video Graphics Card 4 GB PCI Express X16 DDR5 and buy  a corsair h80i liquid cooler would the 4gb version be too much and start bottle necking or will it be fine 

no upgrade.on fm2 you are stuck with athlons.oc is useless.

Oh you again. How come you always talk against everyone else and all tests?

i was thinking get the Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X Video Graphics Card 4 GB PCI Express X16 DDR5 and buy  a corsair h80i liquid cooler would the 4gb version be too much and start bottle necking or will it be fine 

Well the CPU can't really bottleneck the VRAM. It's just that the R9 270X doesn't really benefit from more than 2GB.

get the 2 gb model.and dont buy the h80i for that cpu. oc that chip is useless but if you do it get the hyper 212 evo . save the money fo a better cpu+ mobo

Oh you again. How come you always talk against everyone else and all tests?

what ? so you advise him to get the a10 6800k? and for gpu boud games oc will do exactly nothing. for cpu bound games the improvement will be very small. 

Edited by s3ns3

The whole thing on bottlenecking is not that it won't work, it's just that on some games you can't take advantage of your GPU's full potential.

If the game is more CPU bound, you will get a couple less frames, if its not, then you will get better performance.

On real gaming, the difference between this processor and another one doesn't make much of a difference.

Austin Evans has a video comparing the i5 with a Athlon X4 750K, which is basically the A8 you have, but without the integrated graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIT9uLDjZcg

If you can afford the R9 280X, go for it, you will get 60+ fps on most high end games on very high settings.

Well bottlenecking is real. Of course a R9 280X will still perform better than a R9 270X. But so marginal that you have to ask yourself if it's worth it.

get the 2 gb model.and dont buy the h80i for that cpu. oc that chip is useless but if you do it get the hyper 212 evo 

what ? so you advise him to get the a10 6800k? and for gpu boud games oc will do exactly nothing. for cpu bound games the improvement will be very small. 

I already said there is no better CPU for that socket ...

That OC is useless is complete bullshit. Of course on some games the improvement will be very small. But on other games it can make a lot of a difference. And especially a CPU with such a low single threaded performance like the A8 can benefit from overclocking.

I already said there is no better CPU for that socket ...

That OC is useless is complete bullshit.

i didnt notice but so what cant i say it too? 

test a gpu bound game by yourself with your i7 and see if you notice something. for like wow in big raids yeah...but noth with this cpu

i didnt notice but so what cant i say it too? 

test a gpu bound game by yourself with your i7 and see if you notice something. for like wow in big raids yeah...but noth with this cpu

Yes is GPU bound games. But many games are not only GPU bound. Take Battlefield 4 for example. You can get huge imrpovements in BF4 by overclocking. As I already said some games benefit from it, and some games don't. The ones that don't benefit are the GPU bound games.

Of course you can say that it makes no sense buying another FM2 CPU, but don't confront me with it if I already said it.

Get a normal 2GB R9 270X. The H80i is overkill for your CPU. A good air cooler will do fine, while being cheaper and more silent. Something like a Alpenföhn Brocken would be awesome imo. But check if it fits first.

Well bottlenecking is real. Of course a R9 280X will still perform better than a R9 270X. But so marginal that you have to ask yourself if it's worth it.

I'm not saying that it's not real, I understand perfectly how a CPU delivers instructions to the GPU. It's more minor than people think it is.

On games where there is not much CPU required, or that you are loading the GPU a lot (skyrim mods for example) having the R9 280X is worth it. On some scenarios the difference the CPU makes is the one irrelevant, even if you have a lower end part.

When I got my R9 280X, I paired it with the FX 6100 on the HTPC just for the lols, and compared to the i5 I had on the system the difference was minimal on a lot of graphic intensive games. 

Of course that Metro Last Light had the most crappy performance ever, even with the higher end GPU, but most of the games were still kicking happy over the 60fps on very high settings.

Is the R9 280X worth it for the OP? If he has the money for it then hell yeah, on most scenarios it will have significant performance over the R9 270X.

Should he look up to better CPUs on the future., and upgrade once he has the money.

If he has money today for a 850W PSU, an H80i and a R9 280X like I've been reading on this post, then he should save his pennies a bit longer, and do a full upgrade, CPU GPU and Motherboard.

Yes is GPU bound games. But many games are not only GPU bound. Take Battlefield 4 for example. You can get huge imrpovements in BF4 by overclocking. As I already said some games benefit from it, and some games don't. The ones that don't benefit are the GPU bound games.

dude are you kidding me http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-overclocking-performance,3849-5.html

750k at 4.5ghz vs stock

and look at wow too, a CPU GAME

but don't confront me with it if I already said it.

you did that

to the OP, if you are afraid of bottlenecks you probably might never ever buy something.

rule of thumb. Assess your system's performance before you spend unnecessary money. to buy a new cpu + mobo is the wrong way to assess your system's worth cuz u guessing that your cpu will be a bottleneck. suppose the bottleneck is giving you great performance with the 280x nonetheless? dont just rush and buy unnecessary shit, you have to know for yourself if its limiting to you. you will never go wrong buying a high end gpu to a low end system.

if you listen an advise i saw about getting the 270x, what will you accomplish? you wasted money on an inferior gpu that you will inevitably replace when you upgrade cpu and mobo because upgrading cpu doesnt give + 50 fps and graphics from medium to ultra, gpu does that. so instead of having a inferior gpu that you going have to replace with a 280x and similar higher performing gpu, better you have the 280x right now, see if the performance bother you, THEN you upgrade you cpu and mobo combo. ull save 170 USD and you ingame fps and graphics settings will truly shoot up then

System: Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz, EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB ACX 2.0, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM, ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard, Corsair CX430 W Power Supply

I'm not saying that it's not real, I understand perfectly how a CPU delivers instructions to the GPU. It's more minor than people think it is.

On games where there is not much CPU required, or that you are loading the GPU a lot (skyrim mods for example) having the R9 280X is worth it. On some scenarios the difference the CPU makes is the one irrelevant, even if you have a lower end part.

When I got my R9 280X, I paired it with the FX 6100 on the HTPC just for the lols, and compared to the i5 I had on the system the difference was minimal on a lot of graphic intensive games. 

Of course that Metro Last Light had the most crappy performance ever, even with the higher end GPU, but most of the games were still kicking happy over the 60fps on very high settings.

Is the R9 280X worth it for the OP? If he has the money for it then hell yeah, on most scenarios it will have significant performance over the R9 270X.

Should he look up to better CPUs on the future., and upgrade once he has the money.

If he has money today for a 850W PSU, an H80i and a R9 280X like I've been reading on this post, then he should save his pennies a bit longer, and do a full upgrade, CPU GPU and Motherboard.

Not saying u did say so. Just wanted to mention it  :) . I think it's a personal choice if it's worth it. I for example would not pair a R9 280X with an A8 6600K. With a FX 6100 no problem, but not with an A8. 

Defenetly agreed to your last line.

dude are you kidding me http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-overclocking-performance,3849-5.html

750k at 4.5ghz vs stock

and look at wow too, a CPU GAME

you did that

Why did I start discussing with you in the first place. It's useless and annoying. i think you talk a lot of crap, especially not regarding performance. So I will just stop.

to the OP, if you are afraid of bottlenecks you probably might never ever buy something.

rule of thumb. Assess your system's performance before you spend unnecessary money. to buy a new cpu + mobo is the wrong way to assess your system's worth cuz u guessing that your cpu will be a bottleneck. suppose the bottleneck is giving you great performance with the 280x nonetheless? dont just rush and buy unnecessary shit, you have to know for yourself if its limiting to you. you will never go wrong buying a high end gpu to a low end system.

if you listen an advise i saw about getting the 270x, what will you accomplish? you wasted money on an inferior gpu that you will inevitably replace when you upgrade cpu and mobo because upgrading cpu doesnt give + 50 fps and graphics from medium to ultra, gpu does that. so instead of having a inferior gpu that you going have to replace with a 280x and similar higher performing gpu, better you have the 280x right now, see if the performance bother you, THEN you upgrade you cpu and mobo combo. ull save 170 USD and you ingame fps and graphics settings will truly shoot up then

Well then he should get at least a R9 290.

Just save a little more, and get a new mobo+cpu+gpu at the same time.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Not saying u did say so. Just wanted to mention it  :) . I think it's a personal choice if it's worth it. I for example would not pair a R9 280X with an A8 6600K. With a FX 6100 no problem, but not with an A8. 

But the A8 6600k is way better than the FX 6100 on single threaded software, which is basically most of the games out there.

Well then he should get at least a R9 290.

if his money is high enough for it, up to him, you can never be on top of system hardware so best bang for buck for functionality shud be his thinking pattern

System: Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz, EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB ACX 2.0, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM, ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard, Corsair CX430 W Power Supply

how many threads have you started today on the same subject OP?

the answer to your question is potato.

What_if_I_told_you_potato.jpg

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR