Should I cancel my order?

aduman

I'd not cancel it, if I had the money I would've ordered the same.

Thank you man, any comment that can help me get closer to reaching a decision is much appreciated!

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

I totally agree with you on that man. :) Just an off-topic question: Since you said you used to be very good at fps genre have you ever played any cs games before? Just out of curiosity. :)

I've played the classic counter strike games. I want to pick up Counter Strike GO but I'm too cheap to spend money, the only reason I'd play it would be for potential steam wallet cash anyway. *shrugs*

The only FPS I play now-a-days is BF4... 

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/Mobius_Squadron/stats/414694198/pc/

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I've played the classic counter strike games. I want to pick up Counter Strike GO but I'm too cheap to spend money, the only reason I'd play it would be for potential steam wallet cash anyway. *shrugs*

The only FPS I play now-a-days is BF4... 

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/Mobius_Squadron/stats/414694198/pc/

I preordered BF4 like so many people did. Played it for a few hours when it came out and never played it again.. I have around 500 hours spent on BF3 and I don't regret a second of it! :) BF4 was a huge disappointment for me.. Wonder how it is right now compared to the the first month of release.

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

I preordered BF4 like so many people did. Played it for a few hours when it came out and never played it again.. I have around 500 hours spent on BF3 and I don't regret a second of it! :) BF4 was a huge disappointment for me.. Wonder how it is right now compared to the the first month of release.

639 hours in BF3 myself. BF4 has gotten MUCH better since launch, it seems like EA/Dice is really working on improving the game. Netcode has gotten better, weapon balance is just about perfect, and I can't find any bugs/glitches.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

@aduman

I would personally not cancel the order, and here is my thought process behind my answer:

A 780 Ti is more powerful than a 780 6GB, we all know that, that is not debatable.  As we currently stand, 3GB is plenty of VRAM except for 1 game, and we see a few games coming close to the 3GB limit.  I would personally prefer to have the headroom and peace of mind knowing that I have 6GB of VRAM for the future.  If you ever decide to upgrade from the Asus 144Hz/1440p to Ultra4k, that 6GB will come in handy.  It would be a real pain in the ass, and expensive mistake if games all of a sudden start requiring more than 3GB of VRAM and you are left with still very powerful and adequate GPUs in the 780Tis, but you are still limited by their 3GB of VRAM.  The 780 is not too far off from a 780Ti, and when overclocked, it does match the stock performance of a 780Ti, and if you get lucky with your GPU, sometimes even betters the 780Ti at stock.  VRAM is a relatively fickle variable that is finally starting to become more relevant as resolutions get higher.  The peace of mind of having 6GB compared to 3GB is much better than having 10-15% better performing 3GB VRAM cards.

Worst case scenario, you cancel your order and go with the 780Ti 3GB models.  A year later, 3GB is just not cutting it anymore and you will have to upgrade to 6GB.  It does sound like you are flush with cash, so maybe upgrading every year is not too much of a burden, and who are we kidding, we all love to get inside of our computers and install new hardware and tinker, but that is still an expensive endeavor that could have been avoided if just going with the 6GB cards from the beginning.  A 780 6GB compared to a 780Ti 3GB is maybe 10-15% less performance, but 50% more VRAM.  Don't forget that you will be running 2 of these beastly cards, so I would not worry about that 10-15% loss of performance, chances are, you won't even miss it, especially once overclocked.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

@aduman

I would personally not cancel the order, and here is my thought process behind my answer:

A 780 Ti is more powerful than a 780 6GB, we all know that, that is not debatable.  As we currently stand, 3GB is plenty of VRAM except for 1 game, and we see a few games coming close to the 3GB limit.  I would personally prefer to have the headroom and peace of mind knowing that I have 6GB of VRAM for the future.  If you ever decide to upgrade from the Asus 144Hz/1440p to Ultra4k, that 6GB will come in handy.  It would be a real pain in the ass, and expensive mistake if games all of a sudden start requiring more than 3GB of VRAM and you are left with still very powerful and adequate GPUs in the 780Tis, but you are still limited by their 3GB of VRAM.  The 780 is not too far off from a 780Ti, and when overclocked, it does match the stock performance of a 780Ti, and if you get lucky with your GPU, sometimes even betters the 780Ti at stock.  VRAM is a relatively fickle variable that is finally starting to become more relevant as resolutions get higher.  The peace of mind of having 6GB compared to 3GB is much better than having 10-15% better performing 3GB VRAM cards.

Worst case scenario, you cancel your order and go with the 780Ti 3GB models.  A year later, 3GB is just not cutting it anymore and you will have to upgrade to 6GB.  It does sound like you are flush with cash, so maybe upgrading every year is not too much of a burden, and who are we kidding, we all love to get inside of our computers and install new hardware and tinker, but that is still an expensive endeavor that could have been avoided if just going with the 6GB cards from the beginning.  A 780 6GB compared to a 780Ti 3GB is maybe 10-15% less performance, but 50% more VRAM.  Don't forget that you will be running 2 of these beastly cards, so I would not worry about that 10-15% loss of performance, chances are, you won't even miss it, especially once overclocked.

What a f*cking glorious reply! Thank you so much! This was exactly what I was thinking when I decided to order these cards. Just a bit of performance increase isn't worth worrying about VRAM issues all the time. One would expect a really good performance after spending all this money, I would hate to be bottlenecked just by VRAM especially after a huge investment. Only the latest posts I've read made me doubt my decision. The cards I've ordered were EVGA SuperClocked ACX versions, is this a good choice? I've heard coil whine issues and the cooler not being that good. But since I don't have the Asus 6GB one available in where I live I thought what the hell let's try EVGA. (I've always had ASUS components.). If you can clarify this too, then I'd be really grateful. Thank you again! :)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Haha kind of funny that you´ve got my plan here :). I DO have 2 GTX 780 Ti in SLI (watercooled) and I am waiting for the new Asus RoG Swift monitor. I basically bought the second GTX780 Ti because of that monitor. I do have a Dell 27" 1440p @ 60Hz monitor (which will be replaced with the new Asus monitor) and 1 GTX 780 Ti was good enough in most cases, not like superior but okay. But not for a 1440p @ 144 HZ monitor, and I figured it´s time to get a notch more power. First I thought of selling my GTX780 Ti and get 2 Titan Blacks... but in all reality 2 GTX 780 Ti are adequate.

WatchDogs is a total nightmare... in every way (for this shitty code I kinda hate the game). But other than that my SLI throws 14651 points in 3dMark Firestrike at me and all other games run just amazing!

It is worth it! So if you can actually cancel this GTX 780 order I´d do that!

EDIT: Maybe I  should mention I do not have really budgets on my hardware and I am upgrading my GPUs when ever I see a necessity! Usually I upgrade every year in order to be able to give advice in hardware and expirience new stuff.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Haha kind of funny that you´ve got my plan here :). I DO have 2 GTX 780 Ti in SLI (watercooled) and I am waiting for the new Asus RoG Swift monitor. I basically bought the second GTX780 Ti because of that monitor. I do have a Dell 27" 1440p @ 60Hz monitor (which will be replaced with the new Asus monitor) and 1 GTX 780 Ti was good enough in most cases, not like superior but okay. But not for a 1440p @ 144 HZ monitor, and I figured it´s time to get a notch more power. First I thought of selling my GTX780 Ti and get 2 Titan Blacks... but in all reality 2 GTX 780 Ti are adequate.

WatchDogs is a total nightmare... in every way (for this shitty code I kinda hate the game). But other than that my SLI throws 14651 points in 3dMark Firestrike at me and all other games run just amazing!

EDIT: Maybe I  should mention I do not have really budgets on my hardware and I am upgrading my GPUs when ever I see a necessity! Usually I upgrade every year in order to be able to give advice in hardware and expirience new stuff.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it, unfortunately I'm confused again.. LOL :D

Spoiler

Spoiler

@aduman

These two posts above are an exact visualisation of my dilemma right now, I couldn't explain it better than this. Thank you Najuno and Faceman!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Don't cancel. That's a beast setup! it will hold up for a while! It is pretty OP even for 1440P but that's what we want, right? ALL THE POWER! It will be nice!

who cares...

These two posts above are an exact visualisation of my dilemma right now, I couldn't explain it better than this. Thank you Najuno and Faceman!

Yeah man I´m with you I´m always in doubt what to buy and what to do... I guess that´s why one pc at home can´t do the job for me (got actually three PCs in my place). I really hope to settle down a bit with the upcoming X99 chipset and that Rog Swift monitor.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

What a f*cking glorious reply! Thank you so much! This was exactly what I was thinking when I decided to order these cards. Just a bit of performance increase isn't worth worrying about VRAM issues all the time. One would expect a really good performance after spending all this money, I would hate to be bottlenecked just by VRAM especially after a huge investment. Only the latest posts I've read made me doubt my decision. The cards I've ordered were EVGA SuperClocked ACX versions, is this a good choice? I've heard coil whine issues and the cooler not being that good. But since I don't have the Asus 6GB one available in where I live I thought what the hell let's try EVGA. (I've always had ASUS components.). If you can clarify this too, then I'd be really grateful. Thank you again! :)

I personally own the EVGA GTX 780 SC w/ ACX Cooler so I can comment on this card.

First the coil whine: When I first bought the card and was doing my testing, coil whine was present.  Mostly when a card was being pushed really hard or when it was powering down.  It was most present in Unigine Heaven when I would exit the benchmarking run and the FPS would skyrocket to 4500fps during the credits screen.  After about two months of owning the card and regular gaming and use, the coil whine went away, so I'm guessing its just like breaking in a new pair of shoes.  I do still get slight coil whine when the credits screen rolls after Heaven, but not nearly as bad as when I first got the card.

Temperatures:  I have seen a lot of different results for temperatures on this card when I was doing my research.  When you do your research, pay attention to the test setup that the reviewer is using.  If they are on an open test bench, their temperatures are in the 60s, if they are using a closed case, their temperatures are in the 70s.  The reason for this disparity in temperatures among qualified reviewers is that this particular GPU exhausts the heat out of the side of the card, and all around your case.  For me, when my side panel is on, Unigine Heaven was hitting 75C.  When I remove the side panel, Heaven drops to 64C.  I keep my side panel off at all times now because of this, I dust and clean my case monthly.  Idle temperatures for me have always been lower than 30C with the side panel off.  With the side panel on, 32C.

Noise:  The cooler is relatively quiet, and remember, I have an open side panel with my case near my feet.  I cannot get the fan to be more quiet than 40% fan speed at idle, but I haven't messed with it much.  At 40%, I can't hear it.  It isn't until it hits about 50% fan speed that it is audible, and at 60% is when it starts to create "noise."  Above 60% is when it does start to get loud, and it is not a very pleasurable sound, somewhat of a higher frequency, luckily my temperatures are fantastic, so my fans don't need to ramp up very often.  The only game where my GPU is really tested is in Metro:Last Light, where my card goes as high as 70C which results in fan speed of 60%.

Overclocking:  My card is terrible at overclocking, just atrocious.  My ASIC score is the lowest I have ever seen, 63.1%.  My card cannot get anything more than +50Mhz on the Core before it crashes.  I can get the +50 without adding voltage, but even if I add voltage and power target, anything above +50 causes instability.  My card came in at 1071Mhz out of the box, and with the +50, it only shows up as 1110Mhz.  This is not typical, because most EVGA 780 SCs I see are able to hit 1150+ without adding voltage, and somewhere in the 1200's with added voltage.  Silicon lottery, I lost.  There is always the option of flashing the BIOS to the Ti BIOS and unlocking the voltage and LLC, but that is not recommended without watercooling, but when done properly, you can hit 1300+, and as high as 1400.

---------------------------------------------

I read Najuno's post, and if he is having problems running Watch Dogs, regardless if it is poorly optimized or not, he is limited by VRAM.  With two 780s, you wont have a problem running the 144Hz/1440p Monitor.  I just don't think it is worth the risk to potentially bottleneck yourself by choosing less VRAM.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

@aduman

everyone is saying 780 6gb, 780ti, unless you need cuda then get CF 290x's ir CF 290's 4gb of vram great performance and great prices, i have an r9 290 myself and for the 350$'s i got it at it performs equal if not better than 780

@aduman

everyone is saying 780 6gb, 780ti, unless you need cuda then get CF 290x's ir CF 290's 4gb of vram great performance and great prices, i have an r9 290 myself and for the 350$'s i got it at it performs equal if not better than 780

That´s not entirely true @ elan2468. Because the OP wants to know if it´s gonna be a GTX780 or GTX 780 Ti. He never actually mentioned an AMD card. And if you would have closely read his posts you would know that he is going to buy the nVidia not because of any features but because of g-Sync with the Asus RoG Swift. Because other than that you would be right a R9 290 or R9 290X are nice cards but don´t support (and due to the battle between nVidia and AMD they probably never will) g-Sync.

I'd cancel the order and just get one GPU. You don't need a whole lot of Vram for a 1080p display to be honest.

Or you could always send me the 2nd card free of charge because I provide brilliant advice. 

BwtU3Hb.png

I know I'm a scumbag

Nooooooo, he should send it to me, as I only have a gtx660.....

Edit: Just saw your rig in your profile, you deserve it more lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Nooooooo, he should send it to me, as I only have a gtx660.....

Edit: Just saw your rig in your profile, you deserve it more lol

Bitch plz I'm still using a Gtx 460

Edit: dam you edit fast

Thanks for your help guys! I think I'll be keeping my order but your advices are still much appreciated.

Thank you again!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Instead of upgrading to the 1440p monitor, upgrade to at least a 4K monitor, or ...there was some aspect ratio linus reviewed in the past 2 months that he was a fan of. Maybe that. Either way, GFX memory helps when you want to crank AA, or just plain have a massive resolution (like 4K) but is otherwise not very useful.

So...cancel if you aren't going to 'about 4K' resolution on your monitor(s), keep if you decide 1440p is...a sub-optimal upgrade.

3440x1440

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

3440x1440

...lol...now I feel dumb. >.< I tried! I just failed...failed miserably.