Buy GTX 780 ti or wait for 800 series

dev001

thanks guys for all the advice, im probably going to wait for the 800 series. i normally dont change my graphics cards for a long time, so dont feel like buying the 780 knowing that 800 is going to be released soon

thanks guys for all the advice, im probably going to wait for the 800 series. i normally dont change my graphics cards for a long time, so dont feel like buying the 780 knowing that 800 is going to be released soon

If you are going to wait for the 800 series might as well wait a bit more foe the Ti version. Heck after that wait some more for the next best thing. I say just get whats good right now IMHO the new series will be more expensive and not have much of a performance gain to be really that stellar of an upgrade over the current gen.

I currently have a gtx 570 and is looking to buy a new graphics card since i experience low frame rates with the new games that are coming out.

Just wanted to know your opinion on whether i should buy a gtx 780 ti now or wait for the 800 series to come out

Wait 1 month, get an EVGA 780 ti, use step-up, win win.

I would just wait if you are satisfied if not you could get a hold over card

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

When exactly is this card supposed to be out?

If we are talking early October when its available I MIGHT be willing to wait, but late November and beyond is kind of pushing it for what is probably only going to be a 15% increase over the 780 TI, or even less if you get some souped up factory overclocked 780 TI. Then there is the possibility the thing will be sold out and unavailable until after the holidays, or there is some manufacturing delays that push things back further, and before you know it you're wondering if you should wait a little longer for the 20nm next gen cards with a more significant performance jump to come out.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

My guess is the 880 will only be like %15-%20, so I just went with the 780 ti. If the %15 performance increase is worth waiting 3-4 months then I guess wait.

It'll be 20% better than a 780ti at least and probably at most. but can overclock better than kepler probably. 

When exactly is this card supposed to be out?

If we are talking early October when its available I MIGHT be willing to wait, but late November and beyond is kind of pushing it for what is probably only going to be a 15% increase over the 780 TI, or even less if you get some souped up factory overclocked 780 TI. Then there is the possibility the thing will be sold out and unavailable until after the holidays, or there is some manufacturing delays that push things back further, and before you know it you're wondering if you should wait a little longer for the 20nm next gen cards with a more significant performance jump to come out.

it'll probably be 15% better than a overclocked 780ti vs a stock cooler. but this is mainly to replace the 780. 780ti sorta was just a wet flaming backhand slap to the face for AMD. 

I'd just wait. the 870 ti/ 870? will probably be like 499$ for a 780ti with better overclocking. So I honestly don't see why you guys wouldn't wait if you have something that can get the job done till then.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

It'll be 20% better than a 780ti at least and probably at most. but can overclock better than kepler probably. 

it'll probably be 15% better than a overclocked 780ti vs a stock cooler. but this is mainly to replace the 780. 780ti sorta was just a wet flaming backhand slap to the face for AMD. 

I'd just wait. the 870 ti/ 870? will probably be like 499$ for a 780ti with better overclocking. So I honestly don't see why you guys wouldn't wait if you have something that can get the job done till then.

Dude the 780 ti already OC like a beast, I have like +250 mhz on the core with stock voltages. I can't see them releasing a card with much better OC then that since Nvidia has made it clear they hate OC by saying no more than %106 power limit. Also 870 ti WILL be a 780 ti. It will be the exact same card with stock clocks, but won't OC more. It will probably be like EVGA SC, doesn't have a better cooler or OC better just makes it faster out of the box. Like the 680 to 770. The 880 will be the only card changed. My official prediction is since it's still on 28nm it will be more power efficient, run cooler, OC well, but even when OC will only perform around %20 faster than an OC 780 ti.

I currently have a gtx 570 and is looking to buy a new graphics card since i experience low frame rates with the new games that are coming out.

Just wanted to know your opinion on whether i should buy a gtx 780 ti now or wait for the 800 series to come out

It's worth wait if you can it's not like it's gonna be an entire season of waiting.

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

Dude the 780 ti already OC like a beast, I have like +250 mhz on the core with stock voltages. I can't see them releasing a card with much better OC then that since Nvidia has made it clear they hate OC by saying no more than %106 power limit. Also 870 ti WILL be a 780 ti. It will be the exact same card with stock clocks, but won't OC more. It will probably be like EVGA SC, doesn't have a better cooler or OC better just makes it faster out of the box. Like the 680 to 770. The 880 will be the only card changed. My official prediction is since it's still on 28nm it will be more power efficient, run cooler, OC well, but even when OC will only perform around %20 faster than an OC 780 ti.

I don't know man :( i'm just assuming maxwell will overclock better because it uses less power. 

the 870 ti? (because it'll be a 780ti on  gm204?) and 870 (780 on gm204?) 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I don't know man :( i'm just assuming maxwell will overclock better because it uses less power. 

There will be 2 versions like the 570 had. The Keplar Version and the Maxwell version. 

Eh, they will probably limit it to %106 again meaning you won't be kicking it up as high power wise as the 780 and 780 ti. I think it will still perform the same just with less power draw. Even if it OC better by 50 mhz that's only 1-3 fps...

There will be 2 versions like the 570 had. The Keplar Version and the Maxwell version. 

Tbh I don't see nvidia doing that considering that maxwell chips will be cheaper to make and use less cores (maybe 2176?) compared to 2880 of 780ti.

Computing enthusiast. 

Tbh I don't see nvidia doing that considering that maxwell chips will be cheaper to make and use less cores (maybe 2176?) compared to 2880 of 780ti.

They will want to use up the rest of the old Keplar GPUs that are left over.