Buy GTX 780 ti or wait for 800 series

dev001

I currently have a gtx 570 and is looking to buy a new graphics card since i experience low frame rates with the new games that are coming out.

Just wanted to know your opinion on whether i should buy a gtx 780 ti now or wait for the 800 series to come out

800 ftw

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If you need an upgrade right now then get a 780/290, if can wait, wait

I would wait, even if you don't buy a 800 series card, the price of the 780 will drop

880 will be 35% faster than 780ti apparently.

Diamond 5 in League :)

Oh this again LOL. Just get whats available right now or keep waiting and waiting and waiting cause the next big thing is always around the corner in the PC world.

I would wait, even if you don't buy a 800 series card, the price of the 780 will drop

No it wont, the GTX 680 price didn't drop, neither the 580 back in the day when the later generation was released.

No it wont, the GTX 680 price didn't drop, neither the 580 back in the day when the later generation was released.

At least in Finland GTX 680 price dropped.

Curing shitposts by shitposts

True nvidia like to EOL the previous line of GPUs so you have no choice but to pay extra for a new card. they have been doing this since I can remember.

In North America you can only get refurbished GTX 680s for around $300 because nvidia has stopped production of the 6xx series some time ago. No point in getting a 680 because there are newer better cards for the same or lesser price.

Now the GTX 680 is cheaper, but it took almost 6-8 months after the 700 series came to get the prices down, and it still wasn't a huge discount.

I can only count a few generation releases in gpu history where the previous generation was crapped on completely by the next. Just get your 780 now, and sell it when 800 series comes out (if 800 is actually much better, which I doubt it will be performance wise for non-Ultra HD).

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Now the GTX 680 is cheaper, but it took almost 6-8 months after the 700 series came to get the prices down, and it still wasn't a huge discount.

You can't even get a new GTX 680 in north America.

You can't even get a new GTX 680 in north America.

SuperBiiz, TigerDirect, Amazon and MWave have GTX 680s on their websites in stock.

SuperBiiz, TigerDirect, Amazon and MWave have GTX 680s on their websites in stock.

new or refurbished ? and whats the pricing ?

new or refurbished ? and whats the pricing ?

New, and expensive (similar price they used to have)

My 690 died a few weeks ago, right after the warranty was over coincidentally. I have been running my 1440p monitor on my backup R7 260x since, and it has reduced my playable games to less than half of what it used to be actually.

I am adamant waiting for the next iteration will be worth it, I am not dropping money on 2 graphics cards that are due to being outdated by as much as 30% performance within the next 3 months, no way, I rather suffer for 3 months than regret for the next 2-3 years.

Nvidia likes to be the head runner when it comes to jumps in VRAM, and with the expected 20-30% increase in core performance, increased overclocking ability and possible 6-8gb VRAM? It is going to be as amazing as the rumours make us think I hope!

New, and expensive (similar price they used to have)

Guess that rules them out all together unless you are going SLI with a current 680.

The 880 is not that far away, so if you can wait the few more months then you should. The 780 will not see a price drop for a long time, if at all.

Guess that rules them out all together unless you are going SLI with a current 680.

That's one of the reasons they kept being expensive, same happened with the 500 series GPUs.

Same happens with older gen CPUs and motherboards. Prices don't really go lower after releases.

That's one of the reasons they kept being expensive, same happened with the 500 series GPUs.

Same happens with older gen CPUs and motherboards. Prices don't really go lower after releases.

Ya in fact I have seen them go up in price.

880 will be 35% faster than 780ti apparently.

35% better than a Titan non-black. more like 20-25% for a 780 ti. 

When Nvidia launches maxwell, nvidia will overall stop selling 780ti's very fast beacuse the die is going to be too damn big to drop prices. to under 500$

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

35% better than a Titan non-black. more like 20-25% for a 780 ti. 

When Nvidia launches maxwell

so is the 800series still based on kepler architecture? :huh:

Edit: nvm, I have not read your post correctly ^^

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

My guess is the 880 will only be like %15-%20, so I just went with the 780 ti. If the %15 performance increase is worth waiting 3-4 months then I guess wait.