Tampa man accused of scamming Apple out of $309,768

Dietrichw

Source

A man ran up a $7,753.22 bill at an Apple store. When his debit card was declined, he pretended to call his bank. He gave the store clerk a fake authorization code to punch into the card reader. And that's how the man, 24-year-old Sharron Laverne Parrish Jr. of Tampa, scammed one of the biggest high-tech companies in the world — not once but 42 times — totaling $309,768, according to federal court records.

A Secret Service criminal complaint charges Parrish with wire fraud, alleging that he tricked Apple clerks in 16 states into accepting meaningless override codes. He is accused of hitting the Brandon store twice, along with stores in Orlando, Wellington and Boca Raton.

applelogo_13563931_8col.jpg

The scam was made possible through a practice known as a "forced sale," "forced post" or "forced code."

A credit or debit card gets declined, a customer protests that funds should be available and a merchant calls the card issuer, looking for authorization to proceed.

If the issuer approves, the merchant gets an authorization code, creating a record of the override.

But that code isn't special.

"It does not actually matter what code the merchant types into the terminal," the U.S. Attorney's Office in New Jersey stated publicly in February after a similar case there. "Any combination of digits will override the denial."

That is a really stupid system if they don't have to verify that the authorization code is legit...

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Lawl. Get rekt Apple.

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

inb4 racist jokes.

But really lawllll get rekt apple

That is one dumb system... he's also dumb for doing it again and again.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

It's a high. Dude was probably so happy he got away with it the first time and then decided to see how far he could take it.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

I like how the background behind the Apple logo in the picture is black...

Racist Apple!

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

1366335237143.jpg

If he gave that money, equally to all apple customers, it wouldn't be fraud or theft anymore, it would be a LONG overdue refund.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

"biggest high-tech companies in the world"

BULL SHIT

wat... Apple IS one of the biggest high-tech companies in the world. Not THE biggest, but it's pretty high up there.

Also that authorization system is ridiculous! Also letting the customer call his own bank? Are they fucking stupid? Each store will have an official merchant authorization call list for various banks/card types. I wouldn't even let him call and then pass the phone to me, because I have no way of knowing that who I'm talking to is even from the right bank, it could be his uncle pretending.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

wat... Apple IS one of the biggest high-tech companies in the world. Not THE biggest, but it's pretty high up there.

Also that authorization system is ridiculous! Also letting the customer call his own bank? Are they fucking stupid? Each store will have an official merchant authorization call list for various banks/card types. I wouldn't even let him call and then pass the phone to me, because I have no way of knowing that who I'm talking to is even from the right bank, it could be his uncle pretending.

Your forget good sir, your talking about APPLE employees, not normal people.

Your forget good sir, your talking about APPLE employees, not normal people.

I've never actually spoken to one, so I cannot confirm or deny their stupidity :P

I do hope that every single employee who accepted a code that some random guy says his bank gave him (Whether he pretended to call the bank or not), gets fucking fired. They should never accept information coming from an outside source unless the employee initiated the call and can confirm that it is in fact a bank they're speaking with.

Here in Canada, you can't really override a debit card. If it's declined, then it's declined. However you can override Credit Cards here, though I don't know if they use the same (Enter any random number, lol noob) system.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I've never actually spoken to one, so I cannot confirm or deny their stupidity :P

I do hope that every single employee who accepted a code that some random guy says his bank gave him (Whether he pretended to call the bank or not), gets fucking fired. They should never accept information coming from an outside source unless the employee initiated the call and can confirm that it is in fact a bank they're speaking with.

Here in Canada, you can't really override a debit card. If it's declined, then it's declined. However you can override Credit Cards here, though I don't know if they use the same (Enter any random number, lol noob) system.

You don't really have to speak to them, they work for apple, that's proof enough of their "intelligence"

I know it's all subjective, but when someone  says "one of the biggest", I am in the frame of mind of top 3 or 4 in general overall standing.   to make a case otherwise we would have to start getting very specific with the products and definitions of success.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I know it's all subjective, but when someone  says "one of the biggest", I am in the frame of mind of top 3 or 4 in general overall standing.   to make a case otherwise we would have to start getting very specific with the products and definitions of success.

True, it's all subjective. Your definition may be top 3-4. Others may say within top 10. Maybe top 30, etc. etc.

Profit wise though, it's hard to beat how much money Apple makes and is able to sit on.

For example, this article lists them as the #1 Tech company on the Fortune 500 list (They are listed 6th overall):

http://www.crn.com/slide-shows/channel-programs/240154736/the-25-biggest-tech-companies-on-the-fortune-500.htm/pgno/0/25

This is from summer 2013. Their revenue is listed at $156.5 Billion USD. I'd say that qualifies as "One of the biggest".

If this information has become out of date, you're welcome to link some evidence so I can learn from it.

True, it's all subjective. Your definition may be top 3-4. Others may say within top 10. Maybe top 30, etc. etc.

Profit wise though, it's hard to beat how much money Apple makes and is able to sit on.

For example, this article lists them as the #1 Tech company on the Fortune 500 list (They are listed 6th overall):

http://www.crn.com/slide-shows/channel-programs/240154736/the-25-biggest-tech-companies-on-the-fortune-500.htm/pgno/0/25

This is from summer 2013. Their revenue is listed at $156.5 Billion USD. I'd say that qualifies as "One of the biggest".

If this information has become out of date, you're welcome to link some evidence so I can learn from it.

Or you could go on market share, product shipment,  customer satisfaction,  industry depth,  etc.  Just depends how we want to rate them.

EDIT: top ten?  some people might be struggling to name ten companies that produce computers and or phones.

EDIT2: I can only think of about 6 companies that produce computers of the top of my head and it turns out for product shipment apple is last.  <- again this is subjective.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Okay so any combination of digits will override it.... That seems broken?

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

"biggest high-tech companies in the world"

BULL SHIT

You do know that Apple is THE biggest tech company in the world right? Not just "one of", but THE biggest. 

KANYE WEST HOW COULD YOU

No, apple is THE biggest company, not even just in the tech world, in the entire economy. Apple number 1. http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/07/investing/google-exxon-market-value/

I love how people always shit on apple, but don't know any real facts. 

I love how people always shit on apple, but don't know any real facts. 

That is because people are arrogant

including 50% of this forum

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii