TorrenTV let's you stream torrents to your AppleTV

A program called TorrenTV that launched July 13th lets you stream video torrents directly to your AppleTV.

It has support for OS X, Windows and Linux (32 and 64bit)

Apparently it is built on some of the code from Popcorn Time.

Quite interesting considering how closed down the eco system in Apple products are.

Sources:

http://torrentfreak.com/torrentv-instantly-streams-movie-torrents-to-apple-tv-140727/

http://torrentv.github.io/

EDIT: Support for Chromecast and Roku is coming.

Interesting I guess, but I will pass

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Apple have allowed this in the app store? :blink:

Popcorn time.

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

No, it is just an application for PC/Mac/Linux that somehow streams it to your Apple TV. I haven't tried it yet, but will as soon as I get home tomorrow.

Might want to correct your spelling ;) It supports 32bit and 64bit version of Linus. :D But this is interesting how devs are making use of AirPlay as it doesn't seem that Apple restricts what is allowed to be streamed.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Might want to correct your spelling ;) It supports 32bit and 64bit version of Linus. :D But this is interesting how devs are making use of AirPlay as it doesn't seem that Apple restricts what is allowed to be streamed.

Hahaha, does Linus even have 64 bit architecture?

it probably works similar to how the Plex app does.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

it probably works similar to how the Plex app does.

Plex can't stream from PC to Apple TV. You can but you need to change the proxy on it and you're faking the Trailers app. Not user friendly at all. 

They probably just reverse engineered airPlay like airParrot. (which works great btw. Combined with airServer you can stream between 2 PC or any other platform...) 

Plex can't stream from PC to Apple TV. You can but you need to change the proxy on it and you're faking the Trailers app. Not user friendly at all. 

They probably just reverse engineered airPlay like airParrot. (which works great btw. Combined with airServer you can stream between 2 PC or any other platform...) 

Yes. And looking at the screenshots it looks like you're correct.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

Yes. And looking at the screenshots it looks like you're correct.

After trying it myself it works in a quite simple way. You just drag the magnet link or .torrent file in to the TorrenTV window, and IF the movie file is supported by the AppleTV it works like a charm. All the magic (decoding and such?) is done in the AppleTV.

My guess is that they reverse engineered how e.g. the iTunes does it when you stream an iTunes movie to the AppleTV.

After trying it myself it works in a quite simple way. You just drag the magnet link or .torrent file in to the TorrenTV window, and IF the movie file is supported by the AppleTV it works like a charm. All the magic (decoding and such?) is done in the AppleTV.

My guess is that they reverse engineered how e.g. the iTunes does it when you stream an iTunes movie to the AppleTV.

Well there shouldn't be any reverse engineering. AirPlay is "open", I believe it's the receiver side that's closed.

Maybe the Windows and Linux side was though?