GPU Help: 2x GTX 780ti vs 3x AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB

Go to solution Solved by BiG StroOnZ,

The 290X would be faster and theres plenty of information available on the inernet that proves there are games that take advantage of multiple cards after two. 290's tend to scale nearly 100% after two cards in games that take advantage of them. You will find that there are games that have no impact from using three cards but there are games that do utilize them. It all depends on whether you find that the games you will be playing can take advantage of a Crossfire setup with three cards. If they dont then the 780 Ti would be the better choice. But at the resolution you are playing at usually the more cards the better result

I'm looking at building a performance PC and have so far been set on a 2 way SLI GTX 780Ti but have just noticed that 3x AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB 3 Way Crossfire is only £100 more expensive. as this will be the first computer i build I don't know as much about the cards as I should. so would the performance be significantly better with the 3x R9 290X?

What resolution are you using? 

The performance increase from a 3rd card is no where near the increase from the second. 

three 290x's would perform better. If you are planning on going over 1080p that is. If you don't plan to Eyefinity/Nvidia surround three monitors don't go down the route of SLI/Crossfire one of each would be more than enough to ultra anything.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I will be running 3x 1080p screens surround

3>2

Are you willing to cope with a lot of extra heat and power consumption?If yes,290xs if not,780tis will give you more than a satisfactory gameplay at 5760x1080

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

The 290X would be faster and theres plenty of information available on the inernet that proves there are games that take advantage of multiple cards after two. 290's tend to scale nearly 100% after two cards in games that take advantage of them. You will find that there are games that have no impact from using three cards but there are games that do utilize them. It all depends on whether you find that the games you will be playing can take advantage of a Crossfire setup with three cards. If they dont then the 780 Ti would be the better choice. But at the resolution you are playing at usually the more cards the better result

thanks guys going to mark as solves this helped a lot :)