Another damn question about MX's

NeatSquidYT
Go to solution Solved by Vitalius,

Hi, I'm going to get a mechanical keyboard at some point. I've been looking at reds, as I am a huge gamer, but I want to get a keyboard that feels good to type on too. Are reds nice to type on as well as game?

Better get browns if you want to type good.

IMO

Browns are the best intermediate between gaming and typing

No MX switch is specifically for gaming. Just get the switch you like the most. I personally think brown is probably the worst switch because its so much of a compromise.

What the above people said. 

I've tried blues, reds, & browns for an extended period of time (at least 2 months) each and of them, I love browns the most. Blues are second, and reds are third. 

I'm a gamer, but I also type a metric butt-ton. I have yet to try blacks, but I will do so in about 4-6 months (once I've used browns for 6 months as I did blues & reds). 

In one hand, I believe Profosist is right when he says that there is no MX switch specifically for gaming (or specifically for anything for that matter) and that it just comes down to what you find comfortable/like. 

However, on the other, I've seen that the actual switches do matter to an extent for what you want to use the keyboard for the most (typing vs gaming vs wtv). Reds were horrible for typing for me (which, since I do a lot, I hated it). Blues were great. The opposite was true for gaming. Sometimes I wouldn't hit the key hard enough to actuate it with Blues, whereas I always would for Reds. Regardless of that, it depends on the person more than it depends on the switch. I just happen to be the average I believe and fall into the group that experiences the switches as most people do. 

Browns are the perfect balance for me so far.

The problem with trying out each switch is that to use them extensively, you have to buy a keyboard that has each switch and use it for some time (like I have). This obviously isn't very feasible for most people. I would just shoot for the average (how most people experience the switches) and hope that browns are good for you. If they aren't, I'd return the keyboard and try again. Rinse repeat.

Hi, I'm going to get a mechanical keyboard at some point. I've been looking at reds, as I am a huge gamer, but I want to get a keyboard that feels good to type on too. Are reds nice to type on as well as game?

IMO

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

No MX switch is specifically for gaming. Just get the switch you like the most. I personally think brown is probably the worst switch because its so much of a compromise.

I have blues, they're good for me.

Browns sounds like the best for you.  Cherry mx browns are pretty much the same as blues with a slightly lower activation force and no clicky sound.   I find them to be the best for gaming. 

Better get browns if you want to type good.

IMO

I've tried blues, reds, & browns for an extended period of time (at least 2 months) each and of them, I love browns the most. Blues are second, and reds are third. 

I'm a gamer, but I also type a metric butt-ton. I have yet to try blacks, but I will do so in about 4-6 months (once I've used browns for 6 months as I did blues & reds). 

In one hand, I believe Profosist is right when he says that there is no MX switch specifically for gaming (or specifically for anything for that matter) and that it just comes down to what you find comfortable/like. 

However, on the other, I've seen that the actual switches do matter to an extent for what you want to use the keyboard for the most (typing vs gaming vs wtv). Reds were horrible for typing for me (which, since I do a lot, I hated it). Blues were great. The opposite was true for gaming. Sometimes I wouldn't hit the key hard enough to actuate it with Blues, whereas I always would for Reds. Regardless of that, it depends on the person more than it depends on the switch. I just happen to be the average I believe and fall into the group that experiences the switches as most people do. 

The problem with trying out each switch is that to use them extensively, you have to buy a keyboard that has each switch and use it for some time (like I have). This obviously isn't very feasible for most people. I would just shoot for the average (how most people experience the switches) and hope that browns are good for you. If they aren't, I'd return the keyboard and try again. Rinse repeat.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Its not the linearness of reds that make them bad for typing in generals. Its because they're so light. Typing on blacks is actually quick nice and I had the in my main board for 4+ years. They're better because that have enough force that as you press down it gets harder and after a while you realize this and a adjust to it. This is why I think blacks are the best starter switch, also clears and greens arnt as readily available.

Also before saying you don't like a board give it a week or so of heavy use as it really takes quite a bit of time to adjust.

Its not the linearness of reds that make them bad for typing in generals. Its because they're so light. Typing on blacks is actually quick nice and I had the in my main board for 4+ years. They're better because that have enough force that as you press down it gets harder and after a while you realize this and a adjust to it. This is why I think blacks are the best starter switch, also clears and greens sent as readily available. Also before saying you don't like a board give it a week or so of heavy use as it really takes quite a bit of time to adjust.

Was that directed at the OP or me? *confused*

Yes, that's what annoyed me so much with Reds. typos were frequent and annoying. I used that keyboard for over 6 months. It didn't get much better. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Was that directed at the OP or me? *confused*

Yes, that's what annoyed me so much with Reds. typos were frequent and annoying. I used that keyboard for over 6 months. It didn't get much better.

Aimed at you, kinda in general too.