Devil's Canyon & Pentium G3258 Overclocking Guide

This is just what I've been looking for!!  Been a fan of LinusTechTips for some months now and since then build my new PC based on a lot of insights from Linus and co.  So a big THANK YOU for bringing all these vids outs!

Over the past weeks i've been dialing in my OC for my 4790k so Linus is definitely right that it takes a lot of time!  I'm starting to think that my CPU is one of the 'bad' ones :-(  Hopefully someone here can help to get that little extra bang out of it without it going boom.

CPU is running stable at 4.5Ghz with 1.237 volts maximum throughput (voltage is set to adaptive mode).  With that my temps on idle are around 30°C and on load no more than 63°C (only on 2 cores; other 2 are below 60°).

Before had it as 4.6 but with voltage at 1.285 and temps rose to 72°C on load!  This was also in manual mode.

Any tips are welcome to help me find the sweet spot.  I'll try to go to 4.8 but will most likely have to use an insane level of voltage and melt my chip...

PC details:
Case: Aerocool DS (replaced 200mm front with a CoolMaster fan, replaced 120mm rear fan with 140mm Noctua NF-A140flx, moved rear 120mm fan to top of case)
Mobo: Asus ROG VII Gene (z97)
RAM: G.Skill 16GB Trident X 2400MHz
CPU cooler: Corsair H90 mounted to top of case with 2x 140mm Noctua NF-A140FLX fans in push/pull
GPU: Sapphire 290X Tri-X oc
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 (256GB)
HDD: Seagate (1T)
PSU: Corsair RM750 (yes this was a pain to get in to the case!!)

72c isn't bad for Devil's Canyon.  

Honestly speaking this video was useless. Nothing has changed. Your last video was helpful but why did u spens time making this ?

Some people dont know that Devil's Canyon is a refresh of Haswell and wanted a Devil's canyon guide.  Idk though. 

72c isn't bad for Devil's Canyon.  

I honestly can't figure out what the heat limit is for Devil's Canyon when in continuous use.  I thought I need to stay around 65°C.

I honestly can't figure out what the heat limit is for Devil's Canyon when in continuous use.  I thought I need to stay around 65°C.

Devil's canyon is a refresh of Haswell with improved thermal material and extra capacitors etc.  

Haswell can get up into the low 80s and it would be fine. Not that I would let it get there but 72c is not bad at all.  I would get worried if it hit 80-83c 

Devil's canyon is a refresh of Haswell with improved thermal material and extra capacitors etc.  

Haswell can get up into the low 80s and it would be fine. Not that I would let it get there but 72c is not bad at all.  I would get worried if it hit 80-83c 

Already thanks for the advice!  Currently stable at with  volts!!

Already thanks for the advice!  Currently stable at with  volts!!

Sopke to soon.... crashed! :-(

Sopke to soon.... crashed! :-(

oh dear, well add a little more until you dont crash.   Just for the most part I tend to say over 1.3v is too much.  

for novice people like myself :P

Turning adaptive back on a asus mobo is not a good idea. The voltage spikes are not limited to running stress tests.

If you set core temp/hwmonitor to run at startup you can see the mobo adding 0.1v.

Very counter productive to keeping vcore at 1.3v when it boosts to 1.4v.

I got a  G3258 cause was cheap :3 

running stock right now till i feel confident i will be able to OC(I have a hyper 212 EVO)

So soon

CPU: Pentium G3258 OC 4.0GHz MOBO: MSI Z87-G41 PC MATE GPU: ASUS Strix Gtx-750Ti 2Gb RAM: 2x4Gb ADATA XPGv2 @ 1866Mhz PSU: EVGA 500B HDD: 500Gb WD Scorpio Black, 1Tb WD Blue 

I am to lazy to update this, but not to lazy to strike it out and write this.

Turning adaptive back on a asus mobo is not a good idea. The voltage spikes are not limited to running stress tests.

If you set core temp/hwmonitor to run at startup you can see the mobo adding 0.1v.

Very counter productive to keeping vcore at 1.3v when it boosts to 1.4v.

I use adaptive on my Z97i Plus and running Cinebench, it doesn't go over my specified voltage that I've set.

I use adaptive on my Z97i Plus and running Cinebench, it doesn't go over my specified voltage that I've set.

its your cpu. if you wanna feed an extra .1v while it boots thats up to you. This is what an asus z87 plus does on boot. its hard to believe ppl suggest turning adaptive on ever.  the voltage was only set 1.29v but you can see it hitting 1.39 while the pc comes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvNYGHXvu9k&feature=youtu.be

Put realtemp or  hwinfo in the startup folder and reboot. while the pC warms up you will see what im talking about. Or just keep on doing what you're doing and pretend its not there, its your computer.

Put realtemp or  hwinfo in the startup folder and reboot. while the pC warms up you will see what im talking about. Or just keep on doing what you're doing and pretend its not there, its your computer.

Actually, i'll give it a go, will HWmonitor do? Interesting to see if Z97 does the same thing.

Edit - @Wirerat, this is what HWmonitor reports at boot, max voltage is exactly what i have it set at in the bios, dunno if i'm doing it right or what, i just put HWmonitor in the startup folder.

c1pjlgz.jpg?1

Linus, why did you use a H100 and not a H100i?

You can't even buy a H100 anymore. 

The difference is small, but still?

all bout the corsair light man

Its all looks these days

all bout the corsair light man

H100i has it doesnt it? I thought it was RGB also.

H100i has it doesnt it? I thought it was RGB also.

No I am agreeing with the guy should of got an h100i for the light :)

Its all looks these days

No I am agreeing with the guy should of got an h100i for the light :)

Oh well umm OK... Though I'd never recommend buying something just for the light....

Oh well umm OK... Though I'd never recommend buying something just for the light....

Its all looks these days

Its all looks these days

• 3 months later...

I finally got ordered a decent motherboard to go with my G3258 (Asrock Z97M OC Formula) and I will overclock the buhjesus out of it when it arrives since I got the CPU for 45 bucks. I will post the results here to see if the methods used in the video worked for me (thinking of using as much as 1.4V) Cheers.

I am addicted to building gaming PCs but I don't have a great reason to stop...yet...

• 4 months later...

Finally got around to ordering my system and have the 'lil' G3258 at its heart (for the time being).  Sorry, I know it's a bit late now and no one is interested any more but I'm still excited  :D   First build I've done since moving country a few years ago and looking forward to having something a little more substantial and customisable than a laptop!  Just paying this page a visit to check on the voltage settings...

• 8 months later...