Devil's Canyon & Pentium G3258 Overclocking Guide

Don't use P95 on haswell/DC chips. It causes it to overvolt and increase temps. Use IBT, AIDA64, XTU etc.Also make sure your mount is solid as a poor mount will limit your thermals.

There is a updated p95 for haswell.

There is a updated p95 for haswell.

Did this fix the overvoltage issue present when haswell launched?

Edit:Nvm I was wrong. Turns out overvoltage was only present with "adaptive."

i7 4770K @ 4.5GHZ, NH-D14, Kingston HyperX Black 8GB, Asus Z87-A, Fractal Design XL R2, MSI TF IV R9 280x, BTFNX 550G

I'm a bit disappointed that Linus didn't getto-mod his old sub-zero chiller onto that G3258 and pushed it's limits :(

Thanks for the video !

Can't wait to OC my new build

4690k==H105==Z97 Sniper G1== Ballistix Tracer 8GB==MSI GTX 1660 Ti== 1TB SB==MX100 128GB ==450D

Concerning editing and composing with all the music and fancy graphics, this is one of best videos you guys have created so far. Great Job!

btw pumping 1.45V through my 4930k at 4.8 GHz, Intel's "Performance Tuning Protection Plan" got my ass covered :D

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

I have a problem with my motherboard and it is not recognizing the frequency of my ram memory which are as follows; Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB DDR3-2400 and my motherboard is asus h97 plus 

I need help, and my processor is an intel 4790k

Does anyone else think the load temp of the 4790k a bit off?

I get 81° C at 4.7 with 1.25V while testing on AIDA64. I have a premium air cooler that is equivalent to an AIO.

I'm a noob in overclocking and got an Asus Z97 Deluxe + i7-4790K CPU (2x4GB HyperX Fury 1866).

I've just watched Linus' OC video, but I've got some stuff different in my UEFI. (BIOS version 1203 - 06/17/2014)

In the AI Overclock tuner drop down there's no XMP option for me only Auto and Manual
And in the Voltage section I've got more stuff than core & offset voltage. (There are: System Agent Voltage, Analoge I/O voltage offset, Digital I/O voltage offset)
I'm not sure what setting's I've missed. I've also flipped the XMP switch on my motherboard (green LED is on) so  it should be enabled. And I've changed the jumper position for the CPU overvoltage so it's enabled. (this maybe necessary for extreme overvoltage only?)

What settings should I look at to get my 'bios' work/look a bit similar to Linus'

Thanks for any help in advance!

hmm, will I have to go the hard way with Pentium "K" on MSI Z97 PC Mate board?

I like how that in overclocking, as he said in which the time where you actually need a quality power supply to give all the extra juice to your components along with having stable voltage rails and low ripple, Linus doesn't use the RM series that he's always praising is an "amazing power supply for enthusiasts and overclockers".... Pssh

"Rawr XD"

Even if you're a Geth, you can use the auto-overclock as a starting point to test out the same things as you'd do otherwise.

I like how that in overclocking, as he said in which the time where you actually need a quality power supply to give all the extra juice to your components along with having stable voltage rails and low ripple, Linus doesn't use the RM series that he's always praising is an "amazing power supply for enthusiasts and overclockers".... Pssh

if you notice hes also using a H100 not H100i or something better. Its my guess thats just how the test bench was setup so why change it?

Ah that vid came just in time. Getting G3258 soon. Can't wait :) I might not push it so far. 3,8 Ghz for a daily use should be ok.

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

Ah that vid came just in time. Getting G3258 soon. Can't wait :) I might not push it so far. 3,8 Ghz for a daily use should be ok.

No you must take it up to 5GHz!

Honestly speaking this video was useless. Nothing has changed. Your last video was helpful but why did u spens time making this ?

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

if you notice hes also using a H100 not H100i or something better. Its my guess thats just how the test bench was setup so why change it?

The Haswell overclocking guide was done with an AX1200i, a Maximus VI Extreme, 32GB of RAM, and a 780. All of which could have been reused. This is a different test bench.

"Rawr XD"

This is two videos on the G3258 now without reference to Weird Al's "It's all about the pentiums, baby" line. Disappoint.

Where are the images from that 24 hour validation ? if its just aida64 nevermind.

What is that little red bench thing called? Where can I buy it?

This is just what I've been looking for!!  Been a fan of LinusTechTips for some months now and since then build my new PC based on a lot of insights from Linus and co.  So a big THANK YOU for bringing all these vids outs!

Over the past weeks i've been dialing in my OC for my 4790k so Linus is definitely right that it takes a lot of time!  I'm starting to think that my CPU is one of the 'bad' ones :-(  Hopefully someone here can help to get that little extra bang out of it without it going boom.

CPU is running stable at 4.5Ghz with 1.237 volts maximum throughput (voltage is set to adaptive mode).  With that my temps on idle are around 30°C and on load no more than 63°C (only on 2 cores; other 2 are below 60°).

Before had it as 4.6 but with voltage at 1.285 and temps rose to 72°C on load!  This was also in manual mode.

Any tips are welcome to help me find the sweet spot.  I'll try to go to 4.8 but will most likely have to use an insane level of voltage and melt my chip...

PC details:

Case: Aerocool DS (replaced 200mm front with a CoolMaster fan, replaced 120mm rear fan with 140mm Noctua NF-A140flx, moved rear 120mm fan to top of case)

Mobo: Asus ROG VII Gene (z97)

RAM: G.Skill 16GB Trident X 2400MHz

CPU cooler: Corsair H90 mounted to top of case with 2x 140mm Noctua NF-A140FLX fans in push/pull

GPU: Sapphire 290X Tri-X oc

SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 (256GB)

HDD: Seagate (1T)

PSU: Corsair RM750 (yes this was a pain to get in to the case!!)

excellent editing on the intro/outro, perfect combo of visuals and music.  excellent guide, I will watch again before i start overclocking 

Energy can not be created nor destroyed, just converted to a different Type of energy.
My blog: T3Krant.blogspot.com