BF4 GPU Help

Sherako

I can run 1080 bf4 on ultra with my gtx660 EVGA ftw edition. a r9 290 would be a complete waste of money.

You can choose reliability, or cheapness, you can't have both. AMD might be cheaper, but you get what you pay for. I've yet to encounter any games I can't run with my gtx660, but when I had no graphics card and my old AMD A10 5700 APU that ran graphics through mantle, it seemed every other game had issues. and I flat out couldn't play mass effect 3 because of PhysX (bought on origin, I think a playable version is available through mantle or some other thing). Granted there's a HUGE difference between just an APU and any dedicated graphics card.

That being said, mantle has been saying support is coming for over a year now (about a year ago is when I was playing on mantle) and I looked at their supported games list a few weeks ago, didn't see much of an improvement other than confirmed "support is coming" on more games.

60fps+ on MP map filled with peoples? Seriously doubt that.

A10-5700 APU didn't support Mantle. How did you run Mantle on it?

tumblr_m74ighhGbw1ruc07ro1_400.gif

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

60fps+ on MP map filled with peoples? Seriously doubt that.

A10-5700 APU didn't support Mantle. How did you run Mantle on it?

tumblr_m74ighhGbw1ruc07ro1_400.gif

It came with mantle. I have the Driver disc to prove it.

And my cap is 60fps. 60hz 720p monitor.

Granted it's 720p so blech

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It came with mantle. I have the Driver disc to prove it.

And my cap is 60fps. 60hz 720p monitor.

Granted it's 720p so blech

Finally Wikipedia is on my side today. A10-5700 APU is Trinity based and use TeraScale GPU. Just because the driver that came with the DVD support it doesn't mean your hardware support it too.

The only existing implementation of the Mantle API is hence only available as part of AMD Catalyst, the version for Microsoft Windows but not the version for Linux, as proprietary freewareAMD promised to support their Mantle API only for their graphics cards and APUs which are based on their Graphics Core Next microarchitecture, but not older products based on the TeraScale microarchitecture. At time of writing (July 2014) the implementation of the Mantle API is available for following hardware:

• certain Radeon HD 7000 Series GPUs
  • certain Radeon HD 8000 Series GPUs
  • certain AMD Radeon Rx 200 Series GPUs ("R7" and "R9")
  • all Steamroller-based "Kaveri" APUs: AMD A10-7000 Series and AMD A8-7000 Series
  • all Jaguar-based "Kabini" and "Temash" APUs: AMD E1-2000 Series, E2-3000 Series, A4-1200 Series, A4-1350, A4-5000 Series, A6-1450, A6-5200, Sempron 2650, Sempron 3850, Athlon 5150, Athlon 5350, etc.
  • all Puma-based "Beema" and "Mullins" APUs: E1 Micro-6200T, A4 Micro-6400T, A10 Micro-6700T, E1-6010, E2-6110, A4-6210, A6-6310, etc.

Sauce: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantle_(API)#Hardware_support

Wait what? 720p? I thought you said 1080P.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Wasn't aware that AMD card's didn't need mantle, if so, then what's the friggin point of mantle in the first place? Just curious.

My understanding was Mantle is an exclusive AMD API that performed better than DirectX11 in several applications. The development of an initially superior API was an attempt at turning the market back towards AMD.

Fortunately AMD knows an exclusive API will gain far less developmental support. Thus plans are for it to be made public and AMD claims Nvidia cards will be able to use Mantle as well.

Last I read Nvidia has no plans to support Mantle. No support doesn't mean incompatibility, it just means AMD would be doing the work to ensure their API works with Nvidia cards, not vice versa.

Nvidia put their cards in the DX12 basket, working with Microsoft in a joint effort to ensure DX12 is superior. As always AMD will need to ensure their cards run DirectX as its still the market leader in APIs.

Finally Wikipedia is on my side today. A10-5700 APU is Trinity based and use TeraScale GPU. Just because the driver that came with the DVD support it doesn't mean your hardware support it too.

Wait what? 720p? I thought you said 1080P.

I can set the graphics resolution to 1080 through the Nvidia control panel, but my monitor only runs at 720p. For a long time I was gaming with it set to 1080. Wasn't until I went to look up the exact specs of my monitor that I found out it was a 720 monitor. Always thought text looked a little small. And it does support mantle because it supports dual graphics, which If I remember correctly, requires mantle. Maybe it was Catalyst. I dont really care because either way, it sucked, the software it came with sucked.

My understanding was Mantle is an exclusive AMD API that performed better than DirectX11 in several applications. The development of an initially superior API was an attempt at turning the market back towards AMD.

Fortunately AMD knows an exclusive API will gain far less developmental support. Thus plans are for it to be made public and AMD claims Nvidia cards will be able to use Mantle as well.

Last I read Nvidia has no plans to support Mantle. No support doesn't mean incompatibility, it just means AMD would be doing the work to ensure their API works with Nvidia cards, not vice versa.

Nvidia put their cards in the DX12 basket, working with Microsoft in a joint effort to ensure DX12 is superior. As always AMD will need to ensure their cards run DirectX as its still the market leader in APIs.

One of AMD's biggest problems that I see is that they are trying to go in 12 different directions at once. They did the whole dual graphics thing which as far as I can see is a waste of money.

Hell just trying to keep which products support what straight is nearly impossible with them because they've got so many different products. I still could never figure out which was the absolute best graphics card that my APU could run in dual graphics mode.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Not at all, exclusive APIs are the fastest way to earn no support. Nvidia however is working very closely with Microsoft on DX12. Point being AMD's API isn't going anywhere. Last I read Nvidia had no desire to support it even tho AMD will be making the code public (if they havent already). Lack of that support will outright cripple development for it. Considering the DX12 hype, that's the direction they'll take. Any advantage AMD sought with Mantle will not last for much longer.

I know that but if mantle fails AMD wont be at any disadtvantage either so as long as they can keep it alive its great imo

And i hope dx12 will be a big improvement too :P

And order of magnitude more games use PhysX than anything AMD has, let alone gameworks in general. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_hardware-accelerated_PhysX_support

Plus, most of the games, that I actually enjoy have at least one Nvidia feature. HBAO+ is insanely better than other solutions and TXAA is cleaner than other other solutions. If those things run better on Nvidia cards, and there are no games that I enjoy with the two AMD features, why would I ever go with AMD.

Hey man, I dig the price/performance AMD's got, but I can justify an Nvidia card with the tons of features plus outright better performance per watt I get on games. Maybe you can't, but obviously people can.

That famboyism is strong in this one LOL ! Plus BF4 has Mantle which no nvidia GPU are compatible with last I checked.

That famboyism is strong in this one LOL ! Plus BF4 has Mantle which no nvidia GPU are compatible with last I checked.

Who actually enjoys games where you're just a human with guns?

Who actually enjoys games where you're just a human with guns?

Um the Battlefield franchise is one of the most popular games on the PC of all time so lots. Believe it or not some people game on the PC because they are after cutting edge realistic graphics and game play like that in BF games.

Well with my 780 on Ultra with 4x MSAA I never dipped below 60FPS, actually it's usually around 100 and drops to the ~70 range when something explodes in your face, so that's a real solid choice.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Um the Battlefield franchise is one of the most popular games on the PC of all time so lots. Believe it or not some people game on the PC because they are after cutting edge realistic graphics and game play like that in BF games.

I was putting it down. I meant that games where you're just a human with guns are inherently boring.

I was putting it down. I meant that games where you're just a human with guns are inherently boring.

That's a very personal opinion. Too personal in fact LOL.

I can set the graphics resolution to 1080 through the Nvidia control panel, but my monitor only runs at 720p. For a long time I was gaming with it set to 1080. Wasn't until I went to look up the exact specs of my monitor that I found out it was a 720 monitor. Always thought text looked a little small. And it does support mantle because it supports dual graphics, which If I remember correctly, requires mantle. Maybe it was Catalyst. I dont really care because either way, it sucked, the software it came with sucked.

One of AMD's biggest problems that I see is that they are trying to go in 12 different directions at once. They did the whole dual graphics thing which as far as I can see is a waste of money.

Hell just trying to keep which products support what straight is nearly impossible with them because they've got so many different products. I still could never figure out which was the absolute best graphics card that my APU could run in dual graphics mode.

Oh sweet jesus I can smell the bullshit from here.

Mantle is an API which is usable on GCN GPUs, the 5700 has a TeraScale GPU not a GCN one, and therefore cannot use Mantle, so you are lying through your teeth.

Also, the 5700 doesnt support dual graphics.

I own two 770 cards with a res of 2560x1440 and the game runs around 70-120 fps on every thing maxed out.

I own two 770 cards with a res of 2560x1440 and the game runs around 70-120 fps on every thing maxed out.

Please list the maxed out game that you played on 1440p and get 70-120 fps. Is that 2GB or 4GB?

Please list the maxed out game that you played on 1440p and get 70-120 fps. Is that 2GB or 4GB?

Its 4gb.

BF4 is basicly the only game that works this good in sli.

Bioshock runs also with crazy fps like this.

Crysis 3, watch dogs and AC black flag maxed out are around 50-60 fps.

Both 290 and 770 will do just fine. There are no software advantages with nVidia i.m.o. You even get mantle support on bf4 with the amd cards.