BF4 GPU Help

Sherako

Watchdogs, Batman Arkham series, Mirrors Edge, Assassin's Creed series from IV onwards, yada, yada. Hell, most games have HBAO+, TXAA, or PhysX right now. Game works is a collective term for all Nvidia features.

I don't really want to make a list, there are dozens online.

Mirrors Edge doesnt use gameworks. It uses PhysX. Anyhow it is mainly Ubisoft games that use gameworks with some from Warner Bros. Gameworks is not a collective term for all of Nvidia features as PhysX is by itself much like G-sync is by itself.

According to Nvidia's site only 9 games support TXAA while 6 support HBAO+.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/txaa/games

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/hbao-plus/games

i7 4770K @ 4.5GHZ, NH-D14, Kingston HyperX Black 8GB, Asus Z87-A, Fractal Design XL R2, MSI TF IV R9 280x, BTFNX 550G

Mirrors Edge doesnt use gameworks. It uses PhysX. Anyhow it is mainly Ubisoft games that use gameworks with some from Warner Bros. Gameworks is not a collective term for all of Nvidia features as PhysX is by itself much like G-sync is by itself.

According to Nvidia's site only 9 games support TXAA while 6 support HBAO+.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/txaa/games

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/hbao-plus/games

Woops. I guess I got confused. Just replace game works wherever I used it with PhysX, and my point still remains that more fun games have Nvidia features.

Mantle was released at a bad time. Nvidia has a 60/40 market lead and DX12 will assuredly surpass Mantle in both tech and development support. They have plenty of time to make sure that happens now that AMD played their card.

With the addition of Gsync becoming a standard for monitors and the success of Shadowplay and Shield, I believe the leapfrog effect is going to be more pronounced than usual in Nvidia's favor.

I'd expect a 70/30 lead in dedicated gpus which means more development focus towards drivers and optimization for Nvidia users.

AMD will need more than a hot running Hawaii and API to gain ground. Reclaiming the market they lost in Q2-2012 would require a miracle.

I like both AMD and nVidia GPUs 

I own an nVidia card but i would recommend AMD in this case :D

Mantle was released at a bad time. Nvidia has a 60/40 market lead and DX12 will assuredly surpass Mantle in both tech and development support. They have plenty of time to make sure that happens now that AMD played their card.

With the addition of Gsync becoming a standard for monitors and the success of Shadowplay and Shield, I believe the leapfrog effect is going to be more pronounced than usual in Nvidia's favor.

I'd expect a 70/30 lead in dedicated gpus which means more development focus towards drivers and optimization for Nvidia users.

AMD will need more than a hot running Hawaii and API to gain ground. Reclaiming the market they lost in Q2-2012 would require a miracle.

you sounded like you are saying that directx12 is only for nvidia....?

I didn't know that G-sync was a vesa standard or any other "standard". For development focus only optimization would help end users at launch. Drivers would still primarily be from AMD/Nvidia as you can only do so much to maximize performance. Also, more development focus means that you would hit optimum performance earlier. The end result would be the same for all users where the game can only be so optimized.

Woops. I guess I got confused. Just replace game works wherever I used it with PhysX, and my point still remains that more fun games have Nvidia features.

I unno man. "Fun" is subjective. I personally did not find the Arkham cities fun and Watchdogs was a letdown. Mind you I did not have any Nvidia features (outside of HBAO+) but I don't think the gameplay was built around it. I highly doubt the features would make the game a lot more fun. Visually pleasing yes, but more fun I doubt it.

i7 4770K @ 4.5GHZ, NH-D14, Kingston HyperX Black 8GB, Asus Z87-A, Fractal Design XL R2, MSI TF IV R9 280x, BTFNX 550G

Well, the 290 is waay better than the 770, which are about the same price, mostly because the 290 has 4gb of memory and that's a lot more futereproof.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

you sounded like you are saying that directx12 is only for nvidia....?

Not at all, exclusive APIs are the fastest way to earn no support. Nvidia however is working very closely with Microsoft on DX12. Point being AMD's API isn't going anywhere. Last I read Nvidia had no desire to support it even tho AMD will be making the code public (if they havent already). Lack of that support will outright cripple development for it. Considering the DX12 hype, that's the direction they'll take. Any advantage AMD sought with Mantle will not last for much longer.

I didn't know that G-sync was a vesa standard or any other "standard". For development focus only optimization would help end users at launch. Drivers would still primarily be from AMD/Nvidia as you can only do so much to maximize performance. Also, more development focus means that you would hit optimum performance earlier. The end result would be the same for all users where the game can only be so optimized.

Imo frame synchronization is the future of monitor/gpu connectivity. I'll submit that whether or not G-sync specifically becomes the standard manufactures embrace is yet to be determined.

Game optimization is always a work in progress including post release. Nearly every A1 title gets regular engine, expansion and content updates long after release. During development phases more time is spent debugging game engines to work smoothest with the most popular GPU and API. I'm all for using hardware that gets better attention.

As for drivers, Nvidia simply has a larger resource base of gamers. They get more reports, make more money and release better drivers. Driver quality is arguable, but personally I've noticed more problems with AMD drivers than Nvidia drivers. But maybe I'm looking thru green tinted glasses.

Does AMD cards have the ability to set a max fps/v-sync? And what performance hit does that Game DVR thing on amd's side have?

1. Yes you can use MSI Afterburner or RadeonPro for frame limiter. The latter have the ability to use Dynamic V-Sync.

2. Close to nothing.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Ive had issue with both and so have many others like myself that have used many cards from many generations.

TTL still rockin CF 7970s in his personal rig, Pistol uses a 290x, swifty used CF 7970 for a long time .... Once again the reason why some people use nvidia is because it save them time rendering videos via Cuda not because nvidia is master class or anything LOL.

Typical sheep mentality like how people see Apple products in the movies they think it's the thing to have LOL.

I don't know why you're insulting me an calling me a sheep.., I've had a better experience with Nvidia so I but their products. Calling me a sheep doesn't do anything. I said youtubers that I know of. I don't know every one of their rigs. You like AMD. If it works for you, great. It didn't work for me.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Nvidia for sure.

AMD just doesn't offer the same level of support, simple and pure fact.

And I'm playing on a gtx660 and I can run it at 720p (due to my monitor being a 720p) on ultra with no trouble, now that I have a 4690k cpu

The AMD fanboys will scream that "everythings moving towards AMD!" but the simple fact remains that mantle is still a beta, and still doesn't support as many games.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

AMD just doesn't offer the same level of support, simple and pure fact.

So did Nvidia replaced all the GPUs they fried with 320.18 driver?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

So did Nvidia replaced all the GPUs they fried with 320.18 driver?

When was this? I've had my GPU for over a year now, had it set to automatic update since I got it, never missed a beat. And yes, they would legally have to for any card that's within warranty.

Don't change the subject just because someone points out a truth that you don't like. AMD has been saying "more support is coming for mantle!" for forever.

and I'm pretty sure radeon cards are the ones with the stereotype of running too hot and melting/burning out. And then there's that new card they put out that comes water cooled from the factory, which to me says that it was slapped together in an attempt to compete, or in otherwords, ghetto rigged.

When was this? I've had my GPU for over a year now, had it set to automatic update since I got it, never missed a beat. And yes, they would legally have to for any card that's within warranty.

Don't change the subject just because someone points out a truth that you don't like. AMD has been saying "more support is coming for mantle!" for forever.

and I'm pretty sure radeon cards are the ones with the stereotype of running too hot and melting/burning out. And then there's that new card they put out that comes water cooled from the factory, which to me says that it was slapped together in an attempt to compete, or in otherwords, ghetto rigged.

Over a year ago and conveniently only happened to some of their Fermi/500 series cards which most of it already out of warranty. Same thing happened 5 years ago with 197.xx driver. 

Indeed, i agree with you that Nvidia level of support is better but it's not night and day better. I gained 10%-20% FPS in BF4 and Thief with Mantle and that with a 4c/8t CPU.. it's not even fully release yet. 

I've yet to see a 290/290x reference melting/burning out because of the 95c thermal limit.

I'm playing BF4 on ultra preset(4x msaa or something) and it's hovering around 60fps or slightly above with a R9 280x(sapphire toxic) and a overclocked pentium g3258.

Imo, 280x is all you need for 1080p gaming.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

I can run 1080 bf4 on ultra with my gtx660 EVGA ftw edition. a r9 290 would be a complete waste of money.

You can choose reliability, or cheapness, you can't have both. AMD might be cheaper, but you get what you pay for. I've yet to encounter any games I can't run with my gtx660, but when I had no graphics card and my old AMD A10 5700 APU that ran graphics through mantle, it seemed every other game had issues. and I flat out couldn't play mass effect 3 because of PhysX (bought on origin, I think a playable version is available through mantle or some other thing). Granted there's a HUGE difference between just an APU and any dedicated graphics card.

That being said, mantle has been saying support is coming for over a year now (about a year ago is when I was playing on mantle) and I looked at their supported games list a few weeks ago, didn't see much of an improvement other than confirmed "support is coming" on more games.

but when I had no graphics card and my old AMD A10 5700 APU that ran graphics through mantle, it seemed every other game had issues. and I flat out couldn't play mass effect 3 because of PhysX (bought on origin, I think a playable version is available through mantle or some other thing). Granted there's a HUGE difference between just an APU and any dedicated graphics card.

That's because of APU...not a good representation of mid-highend AMD cards.

Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

That's because of APU...not a good representation of mid-highend AMD cards.

As I said, big difference in hardware, same driver program (mantle) so hardware won't make that much of a difference, a game unsupported is a game unsupported.

Not to mention that if you look at a bunch of different forums, in the graphics card trouble shooting section, most of what you see involves Radeon.

As I said, big difference in hardware, same driver program (mantle) so hardware won't make that much of a difference, a game unsupported is a game unsupported.

Hardware makes all the difference...

AMD cards do not need mantle to perform.

If you are going to make that claim, you should at least count how many threads are problem with AMD(as in, actual problem with stuff made by AMD, not user error...etc.) vs. how many threads are problem with Nvidia.

Hardware makes all the difference...

AMD cards do not need mantle to perform.

If you are going to make that claim, you should at least count how many threads are problem with AMD(as in, actual problem with stuff made by AMD, not user error...etc.) vs. how many threads are problem with Nvidia.

Someone already did, it was about 4/1 AMD/Nvidia (the count he made was of LTT threads), the thread was on LTT but I believe it got deleted before a flame war could start. Wasn't aware that AMD card's didn't need mantle, if so, then what's the friggin point of mantle in the first place? Just curious.

Someone already did, it was about 4/1 AMD/Nvidia (the count he made was of LTT threads), the thread was on LTT but I believe it got deleted before a flame war could start. Wasn't aware that AMD card's didn't need mantle, if so, then what's the friggin point of mantle in the first place? Just curious.

You didn't.

What's the point of mantle?  Google it.  Mantle helps in certain areas but not having it isn't a problem as long as your cpu isn't crap.

You didn't.

What's the point of mantle?  Google it.  Mantle helps in certain areas but not having it isn't a problem as long as your cpu isn't crap.

Meh. I have a relatively cheap Nvidia card that's run everything I've thrown at it with no hiccups that weren't cause by me (which is a factor with all hardware, I'll give you that). I look in the graphics card sections and most of what I see has Rx 2xx in it. I don't bother counting because:

I dont have the funding to upgrade anything else on my PC for a good long time now

OP wants and nVidia card.

I don't really care as much as most AMD fans seem to.

3 pages feeding the troll...

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

Meh. I have a relatively cheap Nvidia card that's run everything I've thrown at it with no hiccups that weren't cause by me (which is a factor with all hardware, I'll give you that). I look in the graphics card sections and most of what I see has Rx 2xx in it. I don't bother counting because:

I dont have the funding to upgrade anything else on my PC for a good long time now

OP wants and nVidia card.

I don't really care as much as most AMD fans seem to.

Most threads are about AMD cards because AMD cards are popular(after price came down from mining craze; it's got superior price/performance in most ranges again); most are asking about performance instead of complaining that anything is wrong.

The biggest problem of AMD card is actually due to ASUS slapping a cooler designed for Nvidia card onto AMD card...

Hawaii is just plain hot. The Vapor-x cooler is pretty amazing at taming it tho. Tri-x also does well, so good designs came from it.