BF4 GPU Help

Sherako

Hey guys did you hear that @LinusTech is an idiot? I heard he knows nothing about computer hardware at all! He just buys what ever for no reason! /s

Let's get back to the topic. What nvidia card will suit the op's needs. My vote goes to the 780.

Didn't call him an idiot I called him an "nvidiot" which is more or less saying hes an nvidia fanboy like yourself.

Didn't call him an idiot I called him an "nvidiot" which is more or less saying hes an nvidia fanboy like yourself.

I'm not an nvidia fanboy. I simply didn't have a good experience with AMD. Before I joined the forum I had a non reference 290. Just didn't like it. So I sent it back and got a nvidia card. I liked it a lot better. Maybe I just got a bad card. But I do know that Linus has his reasons for using nvidia.

Now FFS, let's stop arguing and help the OP.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

The 780 is $100 more than the 290 and dosent do as good in bf4......

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

I'm not an nvidia fanboy.

Ok resident fanboy. LOL

I simply didn't have a good experience with AMD.

I to have had a bad exsperice with not only graphic by AMD Radeon but also nvidia.... don't mean that I will stop using them all together LOL that makes no sense. Please elaborate on you bad experience with AMD PM me if you will so as to not further derail the thread.

Before I joined the forum I had a non reference 290. Just didn't like it.

Developing a negative personal opinion on a product does not mean you should chastise it for no reason.

But I do know that Linus has his reasons for using nvidia.

Ya there is a reason for that and it is none other than people like linus use Cuda to render videos.

The 780 is $100 more than the 290 and dosent do as good in bf4......

Not to mention the 780 has no Mantle support in BF4. That said if the 780 was $100 cheaper then I would probably recommend that card.

You want Nvidia go with the 780, you don't say much in your post but I guess that you need CUDA for some applications (CUDA can be very useful)

If you're only gaming I would recommed looking to AMD for being cheaper and a good performer at games.

Anyways Nvidia cards are also very good at games with a price premium :)

Ok resident fanboy. LOL

I to have had a bad exsperice with not only graphic by AMD Radeon but also nvidia.... don't mean that I will stop using them all together LOL that makes no sense. Please elaborate on you bad experience with AMD PM me if you will so as to not further derail the thread.

Developing a negative personal opinion on a product does not mean you should chastise it for no reason.

Ya there is a reason for that and it is none other than people like linus use Cuda to render videos.

Sorry I won't PM you. Your really not worth my time. My member title is more of a joke than anything. I sometimes recommend AMD because i did probably have a 1/100 card. But to elaborate. It ran terribly hot (aftermarket), throttled and the drivers constantly crashed. I'm not bashing AMD. I'm just saying that if the OP wants an nvidia card, recommend him an nvidia card. Don't say oh this is better or that is better. Just answer his question. He obviously wants an nvidia card so you're not helping at all by telling him to get an AMD card.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

But to elaborate. It ran terribly hot (aftermarket), throttled...

Could of been a problem between keyboard and chair. You should have got the tri X cooled 290 .... as it runs 10c cooler than nvidia 780 reference and has no throttling issues. But hey your all about water cooling so ...

Could of been a problem between keyboard and chair. You should have got the tri X cooled 290 .... as it runs 10c cooler than nvidia 780 reference and has no throttling issues. But hey your all about water cooling so ...

How is it my fault? I actually had the tri x... It ran up to 95c on air. It was so god damn hot. All I did was install it and started playing bf4.

Fans running at 100% and it was throttling. I know how to install a gpu. When I got my 780ti it ran at 82c at 1150mhz and 70% fan speed. Then I got into water cooling. You're also comparing an aftermarket cooler to reference which isn't very fair...

How is it my fault? I actually had the tri x... It ran up to 95c on air. It was so god damn hot. All I did was install it and started playing bf4.

Fans running at 100% and it was throttling. I know how to install a gpu. When I got my 780ti it ran at 82c at 1150mhz and 70% fan speed. Then I got into water cooling. You're also comparing an aftermarket cooler to reference which isn't very fair...

Well the Sapphire Tri X 290 runs at around 72c under gaming load so it was something wrong with your case cooling the card cooler or the card itself.

Well the Sapphire Tri X 290 runs at around 72c under gaming load so it was something wrong with your case cooling the card cooler or the card itself.

3 case fans at the front of an air 540 so that wasn't the issue. Was probably the card but I just sent it back and got nvidia. Loved it ever since considering there really isn't anything that competes with the 780ti.

3 case fans at the front of an air 540 so that wasn't the issue. Was probably the card but I just sent it back and got nvidia. Loved it ever since considering there really isn't anything that competes with the 780ti.

The 290x is pretty close to the 780ti in performance across allot of games. I won't link you to the benchmarks and reviews cause you already have your mind made up.

The 290x is pretty close to the 780ti in performance across allot of games. I won't link you to the benchmarks and reviews cause you already have your mind made up.

"Pretty close". I didn't want pretty close I wanted the best of the best with in a reasonable budget.

Does AMD cards have the ability to set a max fps/v-sync? And what performance hit does that Game DVR thing on amd's side have?

I trip to make the fall shorter

"Pretty close". I didn't want pretty close I wanted the best of the best with in a reasonable budget.

I don't think an additional 5fps is good enough to justify the price of 780ti. Unless all you play is the few games that favor nvidia like .... "Batman games" then you can say the card is tangibly faster. Problem is that 290x is already getting over 120fps anyway in those games.

I don't think an additional 5fps is good enough to justify the price of 780ti. Unless all you play is the few games that favor nvidia like .... "Batman games" then you can say the card is tangibly faster. Problem is that 290x is already getting over 120fps anyway in those games.

It is more than 5 fps.

I also use nvidia shield. Also my chip overclocks to 1.35 ghz. From what I've heard, there isn't much more overclocking head room in the 290x's. I think the record did overclocking a 290x is around 1.55 ghz while nvidia is up to 2.02 ghz. Also like I said I didn't have a good experience with AMD.

It is more than 5 fps.

Some games are much more than 5fps gain but many other games are a wash between the 290x and 780ti. In reality 780ti is not fast enough to notice a difference between it and 290x therefore I am suggesting the 290x or 290 instead of recommending nvidia because the price is just to high. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_290X_Lightning/13.html

It is more than 5 fps.

I also use nvidia shield. Also my chip overclocks to 1.35 ghz. From what I've heard, there isn't much more overclocking head room in the 290x's. I think the record did overclocking a 290x is around 1.55 ghz while nvidia is up to 2.02 ghz. Also like I said I didn't have a good experience with AMD.

290x has hit 1600 without N2(l) before, not sure about how high it has gotten on N2(l).

Some games are much more than 5fps gain but many other games are a wash between the 290x and 780ti. In reality 780ti is not fast enough to notice a difference between it and 290x therefore I am suggesting the 290x or 290 instead of recommending nvidia because the price is just to high. [url=http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_290X_Lightning/13.html]http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_290X_Lightning/13.html

I've never had issues with nvidia but have with AMD. No youtuber I know runs AMD. That is why I made my choice with the 780ti. I personally like my card and wouldn't trade it for anything. I like to know that my card would beat almost any 290x on water. My card only runs 150mhz short of the 290x overclocking world record on ln2. Money didn't matter in my case so I got the best card available hands down.

290x has hit 1600 without N2(l) before, not sure about how high it has gotten on N2(l).

Link? I think I saw it on some benchmarking site. Forget the name though.

Does AMD cards have the ability to set a max fps/v-sync? And what performance hit does that Game DVR thing on amd's side have?

Yes they can have a max FPS, sorry no one awnsered you, they are currently being immature. Not very much, around the same as shadow play. I have a AMD card and have no problems with it.I love it. I would recommend a 290 at your budget, and game dvr should work great for you. Even if it gives more of a performance hit (witch i doubt it does) its still better than a 770.

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

I've never had issues with nvidia but have with AMD.

Ive had issue with both and so have many others like myself that have used many cards from many generations.

No youtuber I know runs AMD.

TTL still rockin CF 7970s in his personal rig, Pistol uses a 290x, swifty used CF 7970 for a long time .... Once again the reason why some people use nvidia is because it save them time rendering videos via Cuda not because nvidia is master class or anything LOL.

That is why I made my choice with the 780ti.

Typical sheep mentality like how people see Apple products in the movies they think it's the thing to have LOL.

What games even have "gameworks" AMD has the same shit plus it's an actual API. Game Devs are moving towards AMD because of the consoles plus Mantle already has 57 partners which is more support than Physx ever had. Game Works is just some marketing speak that really has very little developer backing at this point. Please list all nvidia "Gameworks" games please.

Watchdogs, Batman Arkham series, Mirrors Edge, Assassin's Creed series from IV onwards, yada, yada. Hell, most games have HBAO+, TXAA, or PhysX right now. Game works is a collective term for all Nvidia features.

I don't really want to make a list, there are dozens online.

Watchdogs, Batman Arkham series, Mirrors Edge, Assassin's Creed series from IV onwards, yada, yada. Hell, most games have HBAO+, TXAA, or PhysX right now. Game works is a collective term for all Nvidia features.

I don't really want to make a list, there are dozens online.

You do understand not many games use hardware Physx. Gamewurx is a fan boy app it seems will little to no support. Txaa big deal lol

You do understand not many games use hardware Physx. Gamewurx is a fan boy app it seems will little to no support. Txaa big deal lol

And order of magnitude more games use PhysX than anything AMD has, let alone gameworks in general. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_hardware-accelerated_PhysX_support

Plus, most of the games, that I actually enjoy have at least one Nvidia feature. HBAO+ is insanely better than other solutions and TXAA is cleaner than other other solutions. If those things run better on Nvidia cards, and there are no games that I enjoy with the two AMD features, why would I ever go with AMD.

Hey man, I dig the price/performance AMD's got, but I can justify an Nvidia card with the tons of features plus outright better performance per watt I get on games. Maybe you can't, but obviously people can.