GTX 770 or R9 280X?

It's been asked NUMEROUS times, but which should I get? Nvidia's GTX 770 or AMD's Radeon R9 280X? It will be used for 1080p gaming and video editing (Sony Vegas, Adobe Aftereffects, Cinema 4D). I have dual 1080p, 60 Hz monitors. When gaming, I play on one and usually have Chrome open on the other.

Specs:
CPU: FX-8320 @ 4.5 GHz
Motherboard: GA-970A-UD3
RAM: 8 GB Samsung DDR3
GPU: MSI 560 TI
Case: Rosewill Line Glow
Storage: 1 TB Hitachi HDD (adding a 250 GB Samsung Evo soon)
PSU: Corsair CX600

I doubt I'd ever buy a SHIELD, but I would use ShadowPlay. I'm interested in Mantle, but I'm not sure how much I'd benefit from it.

Thanks in advance!

Neither, 290. Pretty much same price as a 770

EDIT: With the programs you will use, I think cuda is better, so it's debateable

Diamond 5 in League :)

Yes, it has been asked numerous times, and it has been answered numerous times. So why are you asking?!? The unanimous answer has been the same every time. Search your question on the forum before making a new topic. I hate people that ask this question, lol. R9 280x. 290 if you can stretch the budget.

I should be studying.

280x

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

They perform the same. Go with whichever one you like the features better. The 770 will run cooler, use less power, and overclock more.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

neither 290 same price as the 770 and dose far better

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

neither 290 same price as the 770 and dose far better

mejlly of your reward.

me want trusted advisor

Because of the video editing, I say 770.

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

280X if you can 290

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

I believe all your video editing programs can use OpenCL. So it depends on plugins you want to use I guess.

I'd say 280X/290 if it's close enough but I can't currently validate so take with a pinch of salt.

Yes, it has been asked numerous times, and it has been answered numerous times. So why are you asking?!? The unanimous answer has been the same every time. Search your question on the forum before making a new topic. I hate people that ask this question, lol. R9 280x. 290 if you can stretch the budget.

I've researched it for weeks and it doesn't seem to be unanimous...

I've researched it for weeks and it doesn't seem to be unanimous...

search it on the LTT forums. It gets asked at least once a day here, everytime the answer is 280x or 290 is budget allows. Search you question here first next time.

I should be studying.

mejlly of your reward.

me want trusted advisor

*rubs badge in @sha0w2 's face*

w00t 7000 posts

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

If the video editing is frequent, I would say the 770. However, you mentioned Sony Vegas; It has much more optimized OpenCL support than Adobe Programs. In this case, I think you can sacrifice optimal Ray-Tracing and other tidbits in After Effects.

I suggest the 280x. Sorry for some other users not providing reasoning.

You may also want to look into getting 16gigs of RAM in the future if video editing is frequent.

I really wish that we'd just make organic hardware already, that grows and adapts to the demands it needs to meet. That way, grannies' computers can be floppy sacks of organicness and the 12 year old Minecrafters will look like the guys that only do bicep curls, and the nerdy programmers will finally have justice, with their body-builder rigs that skipped leg day.

CPU: i7-4770k 4.8GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero | RAM: 16gigs 2133MHz | GPU: SLI Gigabyte OC 2gb 770's | Case: INWIN GRone | Storage: 1tb Blue, 60gb SSD | PSU: Silencer MK II 950w | Cooling: Modded H100i

w00t 7000 posts

:(

I want to slap @Whaler_99 for giving it to you, yet still, helping doesnt have one xD

congrats on 7k :D

what do you get trusted adviser for btw?

thanks, new builds and planning

Specs

If the video editing is frequent, I would say the 770. However, you mentioned Sony Vegas; It has much more optimized OpenCL support than Adobe Programs. In this case, I think you can sacrifice optimal Ray-Tracing and other tidbits in After Effects.

I suggest the 280x. Sorry for some other users not providing reasoning.

You may also want to look into getting 16gigs of RAM in the future if video editing is frequent.

Thank you, most detailed answer yet! And yes, 16 gigs of RAM is the next upgrade on my list. :)

280X or 290 if possible

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

280x matey, anything from Sapphire

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

w00t 7000 posts

Don't be too cocky mate, you might just loose it. :D

Oh and w00t over 7,000 profile views. :P

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator