Which one? -MSI GD65 or Asus Sabertooth

I'm looking to upgrade my build and was wondering if the Asus Sabertooth was worth the extra money over the GD65 (It is around £70 [$105] more).

What would the extra money be going towards on the board.
I'm not too fussed about the looks of the board and my case doesn't have a side panel.
The CPU to go with the board I'm looking to get is an i7 3770k, just for additional information.

Thanks for your help!

What are you doing?Will you be gaming with your PC if so go rather with the GD65 Gaming. otherwise go with the Sabertooth

no its not worth it imo the armor makes it hotter. and it isnt worth the money

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

most systems run fine with a cheap board, even something like a MSI Z77A-G41. Many highend boards have stuff integrated that no one ever uses. I would suggest you make a list what you want/need and look for the cheapest board that delivers that.

Saberteeth is a gimmick. Gd65 is alright but something like a ud3h is a great budget/starter ocing board.

I'm looking to upgrade my build and was wondering if the Asus Sabertooth was worth the extra money over the GD65 (It is around £70 [$105] more).

What would the extra money be going towards on the board.

I'm not too fussed about the looks of the board and my case doesn't have a side panel.

The CPU to go with the board I'm looking to get is an i7 3770k, just for additional information.

Thanks for your help!

Why limit yourself to those two boards?

It's more for the looks of the armour over the extra cost.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

What are you doing?Will you be gaming with your PC if so go rather with the GD65 Gaming. otherwise go with the Sabertooth

I will be doing some video editing using Premiere CS5, but also gaming too.

Why limit yourself to those two boards?

I wasn't limiting myself to these two boards, it was just that when I looked at them they seemed liked the two they seemed like the two most reasonable. Also the colour schemes would suit the rest of my build in the future (I know I don't have a window but it's just something that I'd like)

Then go for the GD65 Gaming, Great Components, Killer Ethernet networks, "Dedicated USB 1000Hz Ports", 30000Mhz RAM Compatibilty, 8+3+2 Power Phases.

BTW the msi board will supply all you *need*.

I have both of these boards (non-gaming gd65) and I prefer the sabertooth.

The asus bios is easier to use and navigate imo, board looks better, and bios flashback is a damn good feature (all manufacturers should implement this).

Having said that I think asus are about to miss a trick this gen and will lose lots of market share to gigabyte and particularly msi. MSI are going to clean up in the midrange sector because asus insist on marketing their overclocking boards as gaming hardware.

Thank you for all of your help guys!
Just need to start saving up my money to get all of this. I might do a build log when I'm doing it, it won't be anything special, but it will still me mine :)

Sabertooth is cool but it's a bit Gimmicky considering the cost.  I would look at the mainstream Z77 boards from ASUS, the MSI GD65 and 45, as well as the Gigabyte UD boards.  I personally have the MSI GD65 Gaming version; great board but only picked it up because of the deal.  Bought it when it first came out listed at $165.00 and got a $60.00 promo by buying a 3570K with it.  The offer was only good for certain boards.  So, it was a good choice.  With Haswell around the corner you should be able to score some great deals on both Z77 and Ivy Bridge; don't buy the first thing you see and take time to look around, you will save some significant dollars by doing so.

Personally, I'm a value kind of person but I like things to be nice so that's where I'm coming from.

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps

if you want to spend some money go for a Republic of Gamers board

He doesn't seem to want a red and black color scheme.

He doesn't seem to want a red and black color scheme.

just a suggestion is some of the best motherboards you get

I had that exact same debate and I love my msi gd65. The thing that worried me the most about the sabertooth is the fan noise.

CORSAIR C70 - MSI Z77A-GD65 - I5-3570K - GSKILLS TRIDENT X 8GB 2400 - CORSAIR H100I - SEASONIC X760 - GIGABYTE GTX670OC

I had that exact same debate and I love my msi gd65. The thing that worried me the most about the sabertooth is the fan noise.

I have a Sabertooth, the little fans are noisy without a doubt, but you can use the drivers to set them so they only turn on when things get a bit toasty during gaming for example. If you're wearing your headset during those moments you won't hear them anyway. Idling they turn off and everything is whisper quiet again.

The Sabertooth is expensive though. The reason I took it over another board was because I loved the look of it. If you're not so hot for the thermal armor I advice you get something cheaper with similar features. Bios flashback is awesome!

Not too sure about the GBP conversion, but once you get over about $200 US/CAN you start getting "extra" features which most people don't use. 

Go GD65.

Unless you're doing specific CPU heavy tasks, think about going down to an i5. 

I7-950 @3.06ghz GIGABYTE X58A-UD3R 3X2gb CORSAIR XMS3 @ 2000MHZ GIGABYTE 7950 CORSAIR HX1000 PSU SANDISK SSD WD 1TB BLACK CORSAIR 600T

I5-750 @ 3.5ghz MSI P55A-GD65 NO DEDICATED RAM YET 2X XFX 5770 OCZ FATAL1TY 1000WATT PSU CORSAIR SSD BITFENIX OUTLAW

I5-760 GIGABYTE P55A-UD4p 4x2gb GSKILL @ 1600   Possible Hackintosh 

Asus motherboard for sure.

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

• 2 weeks later...

MSI GD-65 all the way!

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1

How i think of the issue that faces me as well is:

1. Do i prefer asthetics over value

2. features

I really like ASUS but my preference is MSI but go for the one that is the most feature rich and the cheapest.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate