Opinions?

Vicente Gomez

Hey guys,

Planning on build a gaming rig. Which one should I got with?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/vicenteg24/saved/NDYQzy

or...

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/vicenteg24/saved/4QZzK8

Only difference between them is the cpu and the motherboard. Should I go with Intel or AMD for gaming? I will be playing games like Planetside 2, Titanfall, BF3, BF4, Battlefield Hardline, COD, GTA IV, GTA V, Watch_Dogs, SimCity, Skyrim, and the Batman Arkham series. I plan on playing triple A games that may come out in the future as well.

My budget is no more the $1400 and all I really care about is performance and playing games at 1080p.

I do plan on cross firing in the future.

Intel all the way, AMD FX Series is old as shit right now.

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

The second one with a Z97 board so you can get a newer CPU if the i5 dies.

Definitely the second list.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

The second one with a Z97 board so you can get a newer CPU if the i5 dies.

the second one is a msi z97-g45

The intel rig would be the best option of those two

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

recommend a cpu around the same price?

the 4690k is (in my opinion) the best gaming CPU right now. You can't beat the price if you can get it for $200

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

why not the 4690k?

you can usually find the 4670k slightly cheaper than the 4690k, with very little difference in performance, however I'd still go with the 4690k.

why not the 4690k?

Sorry meant 4690k but if you find the 4670k for sheaper I would go with that since it is still Haswell

bruh, 114 dollars for a keyboard? maybe get a tri-x R9 290 and a Noctua cpu fan

recommend a mechanical keyboard with the same layout for a lower price? and it is my understanding that the phanteks fans are really close to noctuas when it comes to performance.

also, i chose a msi gpu for one,

it is easier to overclock the msi app

they both have the same performance

and msi runs quieter  

i also love red and black :P

and msi runs quieter  

Turn on some music and you won't hear your pc :P 

I'm using some Acme non-mechanical keyboard for some years, I really don't see the need for a 100 dollar keyboard, get some randrom keyboard for 20 bucks and you're good. I bet no one uses leds for every day on their keyboards

hate adding peripherals so I left that up to you 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sRFD7P  I would go with

blue switches though ;)

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

and msi runs quieter  

I agree with overclocking being easier, but you do realize you don't need an MSI card to use Afterburner, right? I have an Evga GTX 580 and I've been using Afterburner with it for 4 years now.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

yea the second one for sure. I have an AMD cpu, and they are good for a budget, but if you are willing to spend the extra money then get the i5. 

I plan on crossfiring in the future, i will need at least a 750 watt psu

The 750G is only like 20 bucks more

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

the 4690k is (in my opinion) the best gaming CPU right now. You can't beat the price if you can get it for $200

You can definitely beat it for the price. It is a great cpu that's just a ignorant thing to say

You can definitely beat it for the price. It is a great cpu that's just a ignorant thing to say

Examples?

Examples?

E3 1250 v3 4cores 8threads same price better performance and cheaper motherboards. 8320 is 50-60$ less and gets very similar in current games. 3570k is cheaper and has cheaper motherboards very similar performance. the z97 chipset and cpus don't have any reall advantage to me besides oc ability which the 8320 and 3570k both do better. I can provide proof of prices/performance if you want

E3 1250 v3 4cores 8threads same price better performance and cheaper motherboards. 8320 is 50-60$ less and gets very similar in current games. 3570k is cheaper and has cheaper motherboards very similar performance. the z97 chipset and cpus don't have any reall advantage to me besides oc ability which the 8320 and 3570k both do better. I can provide proof of prices/performance if you want

e3 1250 v3 offers little to no overclock-ability

8320 has far lower benchmark scores besides passmark and uses 40% more energy

3570k has worse performance, higher power consumption