Xigmatek Nebula transformation

HCP
Bought this one just to check it out for a review, but i got stuck with it, really like the form and size of it and plenty of space on the insides.

First up, some pics of the case.

nebula.jpg

nebula2.jpg

My idea isnt clear yet, so no project name, i´ll roll as i go with this one.

Started out with hiding the fugly LED corner with some matte black vinyl.

Sorry, cellphone pic. Will replace it later

nebula3.jpg

And painted the bottom gray part, to fit my other color schemes i have on stuff.

Sorry, cellphone pic, will replace it later.

nebulawork.jpg

Started to rip it apart, and was thinking.

How about flipping the mobo standing, and turn the PSU horizontal to get more space for other stuff in the bottom and radiator to the left.

hmm, whyyyy cant i just paint a small detail and be done with it 

nebula4.jpg

Back plate cut away, i left some of the frame still there to have something to add the acrylic to. Noone will see the back side anyways.

Will probably just add some bond/putty to the edges and wrap it in matte black vinyl :)

Its going gooooood right now, my earlier idea by standing the motherboard up vertically is what i will do now :)

Not sure if standing or having the PSU horizontal right now, i´m thinking about using a SFX psu, as i´m not going to use a extra GPU.

But at the same time, it would be cool to buy a smaller GPU just to make it a powerful little devil :)

Well, all these ideas...

nebula7.jpg

Followed! I love the aesthetics of the Nebula but the internal layout just doesn't cut it for me, I'm very excited to see how this turns out!

A little teaser, of a very early mockup.

I created a 25mm (1 inch) space behind the motherboard to hide some electronics, cables and stuff.

Radiator will have 2x120mm fans, one in the back and probably a 200mm in the roof (not visible). Still thinking about flow-directions of air.

Be patient, better pics comes when i have more progress to show :)

nebula10.jpg

I can't really tell the exact layout of the motherboard in the pics hmmm. Why don't you give people a rundown on the components you intend to use and a little commentary about how you imagine them layed out?

I can't really tell the exact layout of the motherboard in the pics hmmm. Why don't you give people a rundown on the components you intend to use and a little commentary about how you imagine them layed out?

Oops, forgot that one.

Motherboard is a Asrock FM2A85-ITX with 2x8gb Geil modules (using mockup modules now).

AMD 6800k APU, and a Samsung EVO 840 SSD, (maybe a Intel 520, 120gb, dont know yet wich one i will use, have both.).

Going with hardline watercooling, Laing DDC pump and EK 240mm radiator. Fans will probably use Corsair SP-fans i already use in another rig that this one will replace.

I have added space below the motherboard to add a GPU later, if i need it.

And internals are layed out so i can change to a ATX Psu without anything interfering. 

Using a Be Quiet 450w SFX powersupply right now.

But i have some changes to do, will change the PSU to horizontal above the motherboard, so i can hide the cables behind the motherboard plate, and better space for pump and reservoar.

Not all details planned yet, i see new stuff to make all the time :)

I was only supposed to paint the gray base...

• 4 weeks later...
Mockup of the parts and trying to find a route for the hard lines.

Doing the mockup with the AMD board, just to not damage the Intel board that goes into it later.

I think this is the final position of the PSU.

Motherboard and radiator cant be moved around so much so they are in their position.

Reservoar-pump-combo, not sure yet. I would love to have one more 120mm fan behind it in the picture.

Now its work on the lifted side/floor behind the motherboard on the bench.

More updates later :)

Let me know if you have any ideas about routing the acrylic tubing, or placement of the res. :)

nebula11.jpg

Tested to paint the EK block i had laying around, planning to hook up two white LED´s to it. Maybe remove paint from the rings to get more effect.

nebula12.jpg

Also made some bracings for the radiator, the middle one need some shaping to not interfere with the air so much i think. And some more loving in the holes, going to make them like 2 holes high to make space for adjustments.

nebula13.jpg

Lower line almost there, have some tweaking to do before its perfect.

(this is only a template, will use it to make the real one later)

Almost time to paint the insides and start putting everything together :)

Intel motherboard in now also, im getting closer and closer!

nebula16.jpg

Here you can see the reason for the strange lower line, its the out-port from the pump.

And it will probably look cool filled with fluid :)

nebula17.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Current look of the hard lines.
Changing fittings to Primochill Ghost, easier to fit the piping when i have so difficult bends around the reservoar.

Have made a new floor to cover up the holes, but at the same time im thinking if it can be used for passive cooling, and i just add some mesh to it below.

Finalizing it this weekend i hope!

nebula18.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been leaktesting it over the night. All works good.
I have a idea of making the short pipe in a 90 degree bend instead of this curve, well, thats the 2.0 version i beleive.

Time to put all parts back on the case, add color to the water and fire it up :)

Final pics later!

nebula21.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any more updates of the build?

My CNC broke, waiting for a replacement PCB from china so i can continue the side panel cutout for the fans/radiator.

Delayed more than i wanted, hope to wrap it up in the middle of march :)